• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: How far have you traveled to see the band

#15442 3 years, 6 months ago
i could sum up everything now by just saying i have put 40,000 miles on my car in the past year...

live in upstate ny have driven all the way out to oregon to do t he west coast tour including that brutal drive from redmond>santa barbara (we took PCH for obvious but time consuming reasons) have made the drive out to colorado, done the entire east coast

just waiting for furthur europe spring 2012
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#15447 3 years, 6 months ago
I guess the furthest I ever traveled was that shed down in Bristow, VA -- can't even remember its name -- for an Other Ones show in '98. That was about a four hour drive. On numerous occasions I've hit DC, Long Island, Penn State -- about three hours each way -- and various spots throughout PA and of course, NYC. Being from Philly you get spoiled. There's really no need to fly anywhere or even take a train.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Equinox.
World Wide Dialtone
Fresh Boarder

#15452 3 years, 6 months ago
Furthest I have traveled is 24 hours total time in the air or a total of 30 hours if you include sitting around airports etc... I was coming from Lusaka, Zambia and going to the Reading and Baltimore shows last Nov. When I am actually in the states the wife and I frequently drive from Va. to Philly for shows.
gratefuldad
Junior Boarder

#15463 3 years, 6 months ago
Drove from VA to Alpine Valley in 2002. That was my longest trip. Drove to Philly to see Furthur last year. All other shows have been within three hours of my home.
brokenarrow
Gold Boarder

#15467 3 years, 6 months ago
Drove from virginia to los angeles to see the grateful dead. It was the best rode trip ever, met some of the coolest people. I tell my kids about it all the time. Then to the amtrak to new york from virginia to see furthur at mcu. That also an amazing adventure. So thank you grateful dead and furthur for some amazing times
GOOD LOVE
amazish
Junior Boarder

#15470 3 years, 6 months ago
I came from Israel a few times to the west coast and saw P&F and RatDog and others. Met Bobby and Phil and Karan... And flew in to NYC in 2006 to play[!!] with Phil live in the PLU event. It was a real blast of a whole day. And a real dream coming true. Thanks so much Phil
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#15471 3 years, 6 months ago
From Blair Jackson's book "Garcia: An American Life"

"We represent some part of the modern adventure in America -- like Neil Cassady and Jack Kerouac -- and just hit the road," Garcia told the British rock magazine Q. "You need an excuse to be out there, and I guess the Grateful Dead is a pretty good excuse. It also provides a lot of support; there are always a lot of Deadheads traveling around, and they represent a kind of moving community. They've become more sophisticated through the years, with the older Deadheads hanging in there, and younger Deadheads coming in and discovering all this stuff. I guess in the '30s, when people used to ride the rails, you'd have to learn from the old hobos how to do it, and the Deadhead traveling thing is sort of along those same lines. It's one of the last American adventures you can have -- to follow the Grateful Dead on the road somewhere."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#15477 3 years, 6 months ago
Been all over the country...hope to go furthur
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
skyties
Junior Boarder

#15482 3 years, 6 months ago
From sea to shining sea, coast to coast, we had a school bus on each coast and would take driveaway cars back and forth. Those were the daze. Goin' to Jamaica was kinda far too!
EProphet
Junior Boarder

#15483 3 years, 6 months ago
2002 drove Chicago to New Orleans to see Phil & Friends and Ratdog and GMule at Jazz Fest
2003 drove Chicago to Red Rocks to see The Dead
2004 drove Chicago to Red Rocks to see The Dead
2009 flew Chicago to Sacramento - attended Furthur Festival
Time to create page: 0.36 seconds