• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

Obama Explains Increasing Medical Marijuana Raids

#152267 2 years, 4 months ago
www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/25/obama-...stone_n_1451744.html

Amid an increased crackdown on medical marijuana producers across the nation, including a recent high-profile raid on a California training school, President Barack Obama faced questions in a new interview with Rolling Stone about the seeming disconnect between his 2008 campaign rhetoric and his administration's actions since he took office.

"I'm not going to be using Justice Department resources to try to circumvent state laws [on medical marijuana]," Obama promised in 2008, according to an earlier Rolling Stone report. But Attorney General Eric Holder announced in 2010 that federal authorities would continue to prosecute individuals for marijuana possession, despite its legalized status in some states.

The Huffington Post's Lucia Graves reported recently on subsequent enforcement activity:

Since then, the administration has unleashed an interagency cannabis crackdown that goes beyond anything seen under the Bush administration, with more than 100 raids, primarily on California pot dispensaries, many of them operating in full compliance with state laws. Since October 2009, the Justice Department has conducted more than 170 aggressive SWAT-style raids in 9 medical marijuana states, resulting in at least 61 federal indictments, according to data compiled by Americans for Safe Access, an advocacy group.
Speaking with Rolling Stone, the president tried to explain his original comments, claiming that the recent pressure on dispensaries and providers was in line with his intent.

"What I specifically said was that we were not going to prioritize prosecutions of persons who are using medical marijuana," Obama said. "I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana -- and the reason is, because it's against federal law."

The president continued: "I can't nullify congressional law. I can't ask the Justice Department to say, 'Ignore completely a federal law that's on the books.' What I can say is, 'Use your prosecutorial discretion and properly prioritize your resources to go after things that are really doing folks damage.' As a consequence, there haven't been prosecutions of users of marijuana for medical purposes."

Obama then shifted gears away from marijuana, saying that a "broader debate" on drug laws was warranted.

While the president appears to believe that his administration's actions against medical cannabis don't conflict with his earlier statements on the issue, some lawmakers around the country disagree.

Lawmakers in five states that have legalized medical marijuana recently wrote a letter to Obama criticizing him for a supposed "contradiction" on the matter and calling on the federal government "not to interfere with our ability to control and regulate how medical marijuana is grown and distributed."

Read the entire Rolling Stone interview here:
www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/ready...bama-20120425?page=2
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue, Gr8fullBear, DancingTurtle
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

Re: Obama Explains Increasing Medical Marijuana Raids

#152270 2 years, 4 months ago
I have a close friend that works on a national level for reform laws (not a user herself) she have a doctorate and is wicked smart. She says that every patient needs to transition to editables as they are not easy to identify from a law enforecment stand point. As for CO-grow-Ops (CO-OPs) there is no capital to tax and if you are not "selling" it then there is a difference in the line of the law. I am still suspect of these large CA clinics. They are cooking the books and the Feds know it. Private capital gains are high and the Feds always want a bigger slice of the pie. They are not the solution.

Then there will be progress.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by ecojaded.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingTurtle
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#152271 2 years, 4 months ago
I dislike him more and more every day.

Just another 2 faced politician wasting our tax dollars on stupid shit.. Hey why don't ya divert some of those SWAT team resources over to fixing the economy you bonehead!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: DangerousDan, DancingTurtle
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#152274 2 years, 4 months ago
The hypocrisy of our drug laws and Obama's toeing the line make me ill.

But look at the political realities.

Obama says yeah I'll give state-marijuana laws a pass.

Hello rabid dogs Republican radio.

Suddenly President Obama becomes Mr. Obama and say hello President Romney.

Do you seriously want to make that trade and have Romney pick the next Supreme Court Justices? Do you think Mitt will liberalize marijuana laws?

Political realities are a bitch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PennsylvaniaPete
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#152276 2 years, 4 months ago
One man ! It's an election year....he has to reassure independents that he hasn't be smoking weed instead of fixing the economy.

ya know...politics he is politic-en. Only non-silver spoon to sneek in on them ridding in on scholerships and earning his grades. I am still pulling for him over the Corperate-Sponserd alternitive.

Agree Denver-man would be cool if he said ahhh fuck it and started ruffuling feathers. You know he is not your "typical politician" or am I Hope-Washed?
Sugaree1
Platinum Boarder

#152277 2 years, 4 months ago
TS you hit the nail on the head. It's about priorities. Whatever it takes to keep the current repubs out of office is what we have to do. That being said you have to look at the other side of this problem. Does anybody here really think that many of the dispensaries are not making lots of extra money than they are claiming? Also, the amount of med grade that has become available across teh country in recent years shows that they may be selling their product outside of the states and legislation they are protected by.
If that jubilee don't come, maybe I'll meet you, on the run
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

#152282 2 years, 4 months ago
Obama can't get squat done as long as the Republicans control the House and therefore the purse strings, and as long as he has to run for re-election. But give Obama a second term and the House back, and just watch him ruffle some feathers!! He's never claimed to be more than a moderate, but he will make some significant, positive changes in his second term. He's done good things already: how many 20-26 year olds out there now have health insurance they didn't have 4 years ago? How many less soldiers are getting killed in Iraq each day? How many competent people can stay in the military protecting all of us, no matter what their sexual preference??

Obama clearly needs to do more on drug legalization, but give him the chance to do it. Mitt sure won't change anything!
The following user(s) said Thank You: fourwnds, nycdave, drpsilocybo, kevin, scar1et_f1re, Grateful DeafHead, DancingTurtle
DangerousDan
Senior Boarder

#152287 2 years, 4 months ago
Isnt it 2012... Why does ignorance continue? I dont see Romney or Obama doing anygood in the next election. What a joke!
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
The following user(s) said Thank You: sweetwilliamisdead, DancingTurtle
DancingTurtle
Platinum Boarder

#152290 2 years, 4 months ago
Ah....... I was just kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by DancingTurtle.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DangerousDan
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder

#152293 2 years, 4 months ago
Did Bush II give any rolling stone interviews to explain what he was doing or not doing.?

I for one appricate the explanation, didn't intend to start a witch-hunt

Please remain objective when presenting a contrasting opinion or idea.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds