• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

Re: Is their a way to stop ticket brokers???

#14707 3 years ago
I remember when tickets got harder to get in 88,89,90, the bunk tickets became more prevelent. I actually made the 8 hour drive from Ohio to Albany the day before the first onsale date (after mail order of course). I wanted to ensure that I would get tickets and went directly to the knick. We were 3 or four in line, with no brokers to be seen. 10 minutes before window opens two guys role up with briefcases, enter a door next to the window, exchange cash for a stack of tickets and walks out before the first ticket was sold. By the time I was leaving myself, one of the men were already selling tickets outside for five to ten times face and other brokers were alreadt shut-out. At almost every show of the runs at the Knick there was guys selling counterfeit tickets for $20 or $25. I was vending at most of these shows right under the over pass next to the nick and watched these clowns sell stacks of bogus tickets before I figured out that they were fakes. The kicker is that I remember that these guys would not negotiate on price even knowing they were selling counterfiets.

One more story; In the parking lot at the Meadowlands (across the man bridge) there was a guy that grabbed a fist full of tickets from a scalper and ran (as he was chased by 5-6 thugs) throughthe lot trrowing tickets in the air. He was calling himself robinhood. "giving tickets to the poor heads" He took refuge in our van where we got baked until the coast was clear. Same shows that Adam Katz disapeared......what a fucking shame.
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#14716 3 years ago
It looks like we have the cause and voice we need to band together on this purpose
JustBusiness
Fresh Boarder

#14966 2 years, 12 months ago
I'm bummed about it too, since people seem to be scalping the best seats. I got lucky and am in the 11th row, but far off center for their show in Canadaigua. I need to figure out how to get as close as possible for one show in my lifetime.

Maybe grant each forum member an opportunity to purchase 2 tickets prior to release for 1 of their local shows, that seems like an equitable way to allow everyone to get a good seat for at least 1 show in their time.
CinnamonGirl53
Junior Boarder

#14974 2 years, 12 months ago
The venues often have ticket sales on day of show from their box office. Waiting it out sometimes works. Not much good if you need to plan ahead though.
*pict groover*
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#14994 2 years, 12 months ago
the band used to release tickets day of show to help out a bit but bottom line is dont buy from scalpers it may suck getting shut out but its the only way besides these days ya got streams and same nite cds you dont need/have to be inside
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#14999 2 years, 12 months ago
don't ever buy from them and tell everyone else not to
starve them
Material St. John
Junior Boarder

#15003 2 years, 12 months ago
While I agree completely that we should not be supporting brokers. I also don't think they will starve anytime soon. In fact it seems that the market is growing faster than ever.

All the venues and promoters are in bed with the "ticket services" and it makes them a lot of money.

I really like Terrapin Landing concept as Phil and Jill will own the venue--- and be able to handle ticket distribution directly. This does not address Tour----

It is a shame there is not a network of independent venues across the country that allows bands to run there own ticketing or some other means than Ticketmaster and Live Nation. I think Furthur is trying to play alternative venues---- and the mail order seems to work well--- wish we had a bit more warning on this tour--- as I want to go to 10 to 12 shows... and can't drop the $$$ in time for Mail Order.

Anyway--- Corporations run the Nation --- even our concerts. So in the end--- I don't begrudge anyone for buying a ticket via Stubhub--- because unfortunately not buying from them will not make them go away. Right a letter to your Senator ---- get the laws changed--- but again unfortunately I think they have their plates full with other more pressing issues.
"and/or it will require a change that hasn't come before"
Chester
More or less in line

#15006 2 years, 12 months ago
I refuse to do business with them. But unfortunately, there are people with lots of money, who will.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
MsJimp
Expert Boarder
I take pictures

#15031 2 years, 12 months ago
StuartSlate wrote:
Paperless ticketing cuts out the brokers, but it also makes it a hassle arriving and entering for some groups of people. Because of the details of the process, I know of no way that anyone, broker, agency, venue, whomever - can scalp a ticket that has not been printed.

A paperless ticket is only printed at the time of entry at the venue by the credit/debit card holder/purchaser with proper ID to whom the ticket was sold. Unless someone devises a way to cost effectively forge documents ticket scalpers are shut out.

Now, paperless ticketing isn't an option for everyone (if you don't have a card you can't do it), but it works for me. I have attended three concerts in the past 3 years that sold paperless tickets ONLY to an event. However - since it isn't a realistic option for all fans at all times - at least some tickets at every venue for every event should be reserved for paperless ticketing.

The best seats should go to the band's fans (who will actually attend) at face value - IMO.

paperless tickets were readily available for the Miley Cyrus tour from ticket brokers because the brokers are TM authorized , my daughter is 13 and I know about such things and this is why she was not able to go ...ticket master DOES allot paperless tickets to brokers and they sell them for insane prices just like every other ticket
Please tell Governor Christie of NJ to open the records
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#15039 2 years, 12 months ago
really cuz its my understanding that you have to show the credit card that was used to purchase the tickets plus ID how can they sell em?im not saying your wrong just cant figure out how they do it
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#15142 2 years, 12 months ago
Well then what is the point of a paperless ticket?
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#15159 2 years, 12 months ago
Material St. John wrote:
While I agree completely that we should not be supporting brokers. I also don't think they will starve anytime soon. In fact it seems that the market is growing faster than ever.

All the venues and promoters are in bed with the "ticket services" and it makes them a lot of money.

I really like Terrapin Landing concept as Phil and Jill will own the venue--- and be able to handle ticket distribution directly. This does not address Tour----

It is a shame there is not a network of independent venues across the country that allows bands to run there own ticketing or some other means than Ticketmaster and Live Nation. I think Furthur is trying to play alternative venues---- and the mail order seems to work well--- wish we had a bit more warning on this tour--- as I want to go to 10 to 12 shows... and can't drop the $$$ in time for Mail Order.

Anyway--- Corporations run the Nation --- even our concerts. So in the end--- I don't begrudge anyone for buying a ticket via Stubhub--- because unfortunately not buying from them will not make them go away. Right a letter to your Senator ---- get the laws changed--- but again unfortunately I think they have their plates full with other more pressing issues.

Bravo we should band together like the undergorund punks , they take care of everything themselves and try to keep as much out of the hands of the corps as possible if we all work together the vision of a terripin landing in each state would be bliss music for the people by the people
Time to create page: 0.52 seconds