• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

Re: Is their a way to stop ticket brokers???

#14645 3 years, 6 months ago
there is a diiferance between covering cost and flat out greed
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#14668 3 years, 6 months ago
Everyone has their own limit of what is acceptable as far as an income/profit. And obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter. Greed to you is sound business practices to ensure a steady revenue to another.
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#14680 3 years, 6 months ago
onthebusin03 wrote:
Everyone has their own limit of what is acceptable as far as an income/profit. And obviously, everyone is entitled to their opinion on the matter. Greed to you is sound business practices to ensure a steady revenue to another.

At Lease i know that i can sleep good at night knowing that i would never rip someone off like that and as far as good busniess practices making a customer happy is way more important and then making as much as you can squeeze out of someone Treat them nice and they are more likely to come back to do more busniess making you more down the line
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#14683 3 years, 6 months ago
That's fine, and trust me, I'm not saying I'm loving Ticketmaster, or that I want to champion their good deeds to the masses.

Do I use Ticketmaster? Absolutely. Do I feel okay about it? Sure, but it isn't exactly a high priority item for me.

Others? It is, and they make their choice to use it or not. Meanwhile, Ticketmaster is offering a service, and millions of people choose to use it. Each individual is free to make their own conclusions about it...

:shrug:

That's about as far as I go with it.
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#14687 3 years, 6 months ago
onthebusin03 wrote:
That's fine, and trust me, I'm not saying I'm loving Ticketmaster, or that I want to champion their good deeds to the masses.

Do I use Ticketmaster? Absolutely. Do I feel okay about it? Sure, but it isn't exactly a high priority item for me.

Others? It is, and they make their choice to use it or not. Meanwhile, Ticketmaster is offering a service, and millions of people choose to use it. Each individual is free to make their own conclusions about it...

:shrug:

That's about as far as I go with it.

I do thank you for your input it's the only way we anywhere , But it's the brocker that charges 440.00 overface that im concerned about ,not paying ten dollars in fees that ticketmaster charges .
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#14691 3 years, 6 months ago
Now that I personally won't do, but then again I'm not making seven figures a year. It's easy for me to avoid that sector of the ticket market when you can't even seriously consider it.

People that do though, they have the money, they decide if 440 or 500 bucks is worth it. It's pretty much on a path that can't be stopped without some sort of intervention, legally or otherwise.
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#14693 3 years, 6 months ago
onthebusin03 wrote:
Now that I personally won't do, but then again I'm not making seven figures a year. It's easy for me to avoid that sector of the ticket market when you can't even seriously consider it.

People that do though, they have the money, they decide if 440 or 500 bucks is worth it. It's pretty much on a path that can't be stopped without some sort of intervention, legally or otherwise.

So pretty much only the rich can go get good seats to these shows
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#14695 3 years, 6 months ago
Again, not saying I'm in agreement with that situation, but what's to stop it?
Grateful fredhead
Junior Boarder

#14698 3 years, 6 months ago
onthebusin03 wrote:
Again, not saying I'm in agreement with that situation, but what's to stop it?

A voice and purpose and cause
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Grateful fredhead.
onthebusin03
Junior Boarder

#14699 3 years, 6 months ago
I'm rooting for whoever decides to work towards it.
StuartSlate
Expert Boarder

#14702 3 years, 6 months ago
Paperless ticketing cuts out the brokers, but it also makes it a hassle arriving and entering for some groups of people. Because of the details of the process, I know of no way that anyone, broker, agency, venue, whomever - can scalp a ticket that has not been printed.

A paperless ticket is only printed at the time of entry at the venue by the credit/debit card holder/purchaser with proper ID to whom the ticket was sold. Unless someone devises a way to cost effectively forge documents ticket scalpers are shut out.

Now, paperless ticketing isn't an option for everyone (if you don't have a card you can't do it), but it works for me. I have attended three concerts in the past 3 years that sold paperless tickets ONLY to an event. However - since it isn't a realistic option for all fans at all times - at least some tickets at every venue for every event should be reserved for paperless ticketing.

The best seats should go to the band's fans (who will actually attend) at face value - IMO.
pairdoc
Junior Boarder

#14705 3 years, 6 months ago
Tickets for venues are divided up among the fan club online order system (FrontGate Tickets), the fan club mail order system (GDTS TOO), the venue, and Ticketmaster. The band/fan club actually holds the best seats, and they're the ones who determine the allotments. Brokers then get their tickets from their own allotment from TM, or buy paying kids to grab tickets from online presales and general sales.

Ticket pricing is about the market forces of supply and demand, but timing has a great deal to do with it. Early on, ticket prices on sites such as StubHub will be at their highest. Note that most of these sellers are brokers, but since everyone can now get into the act, many are also individuals (i.e., Deadheads), who are trying to make a quick buck (maybe to pay a broker so they can upgrade their seats). People who want to get their tickets early for piece of mind are going to pay a higher price - there's no incentive for sellers to lower their prices early on. However, as the show date approaches, the prices will drop, as supply is greater than demand. The absolute lowest prices will be the day before the show (and occasionally, the day of), but you must then get the tickets electronically via e-mail, and this carries some slight risk, especially if it's an individual and not a broker. Plus, if you're touring, it's not always convenient to have to find a place to print out tickets.

However, I have often been able to score amazing seats in the front center by using this strategy, sometimes just above cost. Getting GA tickets this way is typically below cost, since the brokers are now focusing on minimize their losses, rather than maximizing profits.

Now, there will always be folks with large amounts of expendable cash, who will pay big bucks for their prime tix. Then, there are those who just want to have the security of having a ticket (not necessarily a premium seat), and will pay a bit more than face early on. But, this represents the minority of people. So, if you really want to hurt the brokers, wait until 1-3 days before the show and watch the ticket prices drop. Use one of the big three companies, StubHub, TicketNetwork, and TicketsNow. You can also look on eBay. Finally, you can often find some deals (early on or last minute and everywhere in between) on Craigslist from Deadheads who aren't motivated by profit.

Hope this helps someone else.
----------------------

PAIRdoc
Philadelphia, PA

"Show me a sane man, and I will cure him for you." -Carl Jung

----------------------
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds