• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DL1943
Junior Boarder

Re: Weir as a front man in Furthur

#145331 2 years, 6 months ago
weir just looks like the front man because he is placed center stage, with his mic stand closer to the audience than phil or johns, and because he sings alot of the songs and makes hand gestures

but when he isnt doing any of those things he tend to stare at the floor. phil is ALWAYS talking into the mic to the rest of the band and although ive seen weir signal changes in a jam, i see phil do it FAR more often. they each handle what they are good at. weir handles the lyrical and/or rehearsed portions and phil handles the JAMS, is what it looks like to me.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#145337 2 years, 6 months ago
hyjacker wrote:
I think sometimes people forget how much pain Bob is in and what he has to do to manage it. I suffer from the same problem and also play for a living and there are nights when that guitar hanging around your neck hurts so much its any to think about anything else. I fully understand the grouchyness. By and large I think he does a great job.

And he is extremely hard of hearing too. I've thought that might make being the leader of the band more challenging (if he is the leader).
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
GreatestStoryEverTold
Expert Boarder

#145338 2 years, 6 months ago
captaintony wrote:
Some shows I really have a hard time listening or watching Weir lead the band. I know the setlists are predetermined but damn a couple times, it's just like he let the air out of the whole band. We're talking Furthur here by the way, I'll throw in a poop joke here or there but right now strictly the band.
What I'm saying is Jerry was a natural leader, yes he too struggled sometimes, but his personality and such just shined through, Weir on the other hand, seems to bumble a lot of stuff and I don't hold that against him, I just think Bob's Bob, he's goofy. There are leaders and they are second fiddles and I'm sure Weir realized this years ago and doesn't think anything about it, but sometimes I wish there was a leader like Jerry.

Can you say ouch???
i_be_sublime
Expert Boarder
R.I.P.JERRY

#145340 2 years, 6 months ago
I think out of the close to 20 shows i have seen jeff chimenti is the frigging man all the energy seems to come from jk and jeffs side of the stage in my humble opinion.I do however think they have lost a lil steam or energy or something cant point my finger on it but while the shows have been great setlist wise they have nt been really cranking anything out new.maybe i m a lil overexposed and need to see some other bands to enable me to open my third eye and see the love they bring!As for bobby well bobby is bobby what can ya say,Natural born leader i think not.Director of when to come in and out of jams etc he s been doing a nice job of it so far.Phil we love you!!!
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#145353 2 years, 6 months ago
Love Weir. Thankful for every crunchy riff.

She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#145365 2 years, 6 months ago
Their best bet is if they didn't worry about who the leader is. I always thought Bobby tries to hard in that regard. Just play that guitar brother!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
Bakes
Platinum Boarder
Wildflower seed on the sand and stone....

Re: Take me to the leader OF THE BAND

#145366 2 years, 6 months ago
This band has a leader? I thought the leader was the guy in the 10th row waving a fucking baton around like an orchestra conductor.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Bakes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#145409 2 years, 6 months ago
mmmmmm I think it is easy to say if it is not broke dont fix it .... love the sound the way it is god bless uncle phil the ct show he hit such a bass bomb I felt it through my entire body sweet!!!!!
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by alilfurther.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#145439 2 years, 6 months ago
It will never be like it was when Jerry was there! I've been in denial for awhile, but it is what it is. I'm just going to enjoy the ride!
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
sweetwilliamisdead
Junior Boarder

#145481 2 years, 6 months ago
There is no doubt bobby and phil call the shots in furthur, its their band. but i cant help but feel like it was created and acts like a band of equals. Bob and phil picked musical counterparts who could hang and they did a good job. Jeff joe and jk are all amazing musciains and do justice to the tunes, jeff is especially amazing i think ive seen him carry a couple first sets till everybody else got it going. They handpicked every one of the young guys. Now bobby can definetly lead you are overlooking that he is getting quite old. If you think bobby is merely a sidekick you are shorting him credit for the huge chunk of the gd catalog he contributed and performed with ample emotion and quality for over 40 years now. he is feeling and acting his age thats all

other one, cassidy, omsn, llr, black throated wind, playing, stranger, sugar mags, jack straw,music never stopped, esau, saint of circumstance, estimated, let it grow, all the cowboy tunes and more. does that sound like a follower or someone who couldnt lead a jam?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, Jasper
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds