• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

Weir as a front man in Furthur

#145195 2 years, 5 months ago
Some shows I really have a hard time listening or watching Weir lead the band. I know the setlists are predetermined but damn a couple times, it's just like he let the air out of the whole band. We're talking Furthur here by the way, I'll throw in a poop joke here or there but right now strictly the band.
What I'm saying is Jerry was a natural leader, yes he too struggled sometimes, but his personality and such just shined through, Weir on the other hand, seems to bumble a lot of stuff and I don't hold that against him, I just think Bob's Bob, he's goofy. There are leaders and they are second fiddles and I'm sure Weir realized this years ago and doesn't think anything about it, but sometimes I wish there was a leader like Jerry.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcolleen
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

Re: Weir as a front man in Furthur

#145206 2 years, 5 months ago
Everyone knows their role in this band, so I'm not sure that leadership is all that important. Phil is the one who directs changes in the jams. He chats it up in the mike when only the band hears him, and something new happens.
iamthedoor
Platinum Boarder

#145226 2 years, 5 months ago
You know I read recently that Bob has suffered with Dyslexia his whole life, I had no idea and can only imagine that would be a good reason why he flubs the lyrics so much. As far as leading, I think Phil has that part under control. One of my favorite things about Furthur is how much better Phils Bass sounds than any other of his bands, he has that shit turned up to 11!
Warrior for Peace and The Positive Movement!
gr8ful bruin
Senior Boarder
Mr. Charlie

#145228 2 years, 5 months ago
He also took so much acid he didn't talk for 3 years.
Go to Terrapin, no really go to TERRAPIN
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#145232 2 years, 5 months ago
Phil's The Man, IMO.
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
The following user(s) said Thank You: nycdave
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#145233 2 years, 5 months ago
Phil's The Man, IMO. He is a Joy to watch, as he seems to be having the time of his life. Phil's interactions with the crowd (((Phil Bombs))) make it for me. Sometimes Bob's grouchiness is so palpable it's almost comical
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#145258 2 years, 5 months ago
Weir brings the most energy to this band and is keen on directing song changes and does it with a great deal of authority imo. His focus is intense, much like the quarterback position. Phil directs the scenes in a different way, his emotional output on stage can be felt with just a glare or smile, his communication on stage is very intense and ive seen him give some mighty nasty looks at both John and Bob. But when Phil is smiling up there, everyone is happy. I think Bob and Phil are very different but each is equally effective in leading or guiding the band in a certain direction.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#145305 2 years, 5 months ago
Sometimes its a thing of beauty. Sometimes its like putting Scooby-Doo in charge. The Ratdog 2009 summer tour was amazing. Weir was on top of it for sure.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#145315 2 years, 5 months ago
Weir has stepped it up, he did not choose to be leader of the band. But without him, I do not think we'd be following furthur around today. Phil was the last to start playing live music again after Jerry Passed.

And Jerry too was sort of thrust into the leadership role. Back in the day it felt like Pig was the leader.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
hyjacker
Junior Boarder

#145316 2 years, 5 months ago
I think sometimes people forget how much pain Bob is in and what he has to do to manage it. I suffer from the same problem and also play for a living and there are nights when that guitar hanging around your neck hurts so much its any to think about anything else. I fully understand the grouchyness. By and large I think he does a great job.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds