Re: Is Furthur losing steam??

#145241 2 years, 6 months ago
This song is pretty steamy

otherone78
Junior Boarder
first Furthur show: 2/19/10

#145256 2 years, 6 months ago
One of the best RS reviews I have seen! Someone is paying attention.
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
rippleish20
Platinum Boarder

#145259 2 years, 6 months ago
I think they have been playing a little strangely in some ways but I doubt its a long term trend; as other people said the Dead were up and down over the years. I thought the first Boston they were out of synch and very uneven; the second boston and wallingford were really good, the first beacon they were off again; the second beacon started off slowly but got pretty good after Truckin. I can see why some people have been giving bad reports though. With the exception of boston II and ct, they often seem to be purposely playing with low energy, like they are trying to conserve it. Again, I doubt its a sign of anything, but I personally do think this tour feels 'strange'. Last fall and spring seemed stronger overall to me...
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
otherone78
Junior Boarder

#145266 2 years, 6 months ago
The first night at the Wang was a rollercoaster, uneven but in some ways very inspired. I left feeling like if this is the worst it gets then I think were in for some great stuff in this tour. I watched Phil and Bob struggle all night trying to get the levels adjusted..Bob pointed at John with his finger pointed up so as to make John higher, Bob obviously wanted him higher, and I notived a change in Johns volume right off. I watched Phil try to slow down Joe with hand motions, they were a bit out of sync throughout the night and Phil spent alot of time staring at his stack trying to get qued in, searching for the sound. They certainly made the best of it, it was a night of working out some kinks but also played some top notch stuff as well. They are clearly mixing up the song list with combos like black peter>shakedown st., passenger>Dew etc. which is going to be challenging, especially in the segue. They are still adventurous and indpired but ceratainly not perfect, just like the GD, most tours will be a rollercoaster of emotion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: i_be_sublime
Baptist
Fresh Boarder

#145273 2 years, 6 months ago
I have yet to see a show on this tour yet (hopefully Beacon on the 15th will be my first). But, I do get a little scared when I hear that the tour feels strange. The last time it felt strange to me was the year that Jerry died in 1995. But that tour was really strange with gate crashing, police shakedowns, and other weird stuff.

So, I hope this does not end in a death or a break-up of Furthur!
stricken
Gold Boarder

#145274 2 years, 6 months ago
From what ive seen and heard i believe the tempo is what they are playing with and my best interpretation of that is if your playing faster you will lose some of the dynamics or will feel like its all the same and get real boring night after night.

Another observation at wallingford was bobby and J.K. sharing leads together it was fun to watch and hear as well.
And jeff has been solid and has some breakout dynamics that i only wish he would push furthur.

With phil and joe they drive the tempo and sometimes its phil pushing and holding back and the same with joe and i believe they both have times where they rely on one another to carry the weight sorta speak.

The harmony is well with sunshine and jeff and sometimes even the crowd is on top of their game and others not which brings me to the point of the matter.

Music has a life of its own and its filled with ups and downs its created by people who also have their ups and downs and also listened to by people with their ups and downs so i wouldnt put much thought into how someone else reads the show it comes down to what you get from it and take home or down the road.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, i_be_sublime
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#145300 2 years, 6 months ago
This thread reminds me of a bumper sticker. A bad day of fishing is better than a good day at work. Cherish every moment folks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dire Wolf, kevin
otherone78
Junior Boarder

#145317 2 years, 6 months ago
I also feel like John is taking alot of chances and being very creative which is only a good thing,also Phils volume is cranked and his thunderous, dense tone has been amazing so far on this tour. The Furhur live matrix of 4/5/12 reveals many intricate levels of play especially with John and Bob.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#145325 2 years, 6 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
If Furthur shit gold bricks on stage and then handed them out for free. Somebody would claim that it was the wrong shade of gold.
works both ways
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds