deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

Re: Is Furthur losing steam??

#145074 2 years, 5 months ago
I corrected it for you:

83msg1sttyme wrote:
^^^shameless promotion
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#145076 2 years, 5 months ago
A mtx is much better than an aud recording, and if you are talking hunter seamons, he is the master of the mtx and his stuff in my opinion rival charlie miller's sbds. Glassberg's FOBs are also very clean and crisp.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#145102 2 years, 5 months ago
23atwell wrote:
Last night was frustrating for me. Loser, JK was turned down in the mix it seemed. JK solo was not all that. Jeff saved that loser. Then in Cumberland JK again, I couldn't hear him that we'll. Everybody else was way above in the mix. Just turn him up please. I thought the rest of the show was great. I could be wrong cause I wasn't there but that's what I was hearing. Turn him up.

Ryan hits a nail here with this observation. There are certain songs that I have a certain predisposition on how they should sound by remembering how the Dead would do them. Loser is one of them. JK does a much better job than Bob singing it, but it still lacks the energy of Jerry. That being said, there is definatley something to be said of the position of song selection by Furthur that may not flow to well for some. There is a reason the Dead would play certain songs in certain positions; it fit the flow of the whole show. The epectation of promised land following Bird song to close the first set, or Wheel coming out of space, or slow jerry ballad 2nd of 3rd first set song was because they perfected the spirit and rhythm of a show. Let me give you an example.

10/11/84
Augusta Civic Center - Augusta, ME
Set 1:
Shakedown Street
Greatest Story Ever Told
Peggy-O
Mama Tried
Big River
Ramble On Rose
Looks Like Rain
Might As Well

Perfect positioning for the songs because of habit and knowing the flow. So when furthur would play basically the same set, but throw in Pride of Cuc or Born Cross eyed, it demands a more open ear and forgiveness on our part sing the flow might not go as well at times..
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#145131 2 years, 5 months ago
i think i posted this exact same thread after the west coast tour last fall. they're way past that point now. they've been laying the jams on thick and heavy. great setlists ta boot. jk's vox have been incredibly low in the mix, guitar i've heard fine as i've been down in front of his area most of the nights. phil is cranked because he's loud and clear left side of the stage. chimenti is really pouring it out everynight, incredible work. cumberland last night was just downright silly. barn burner if i've ever seen one.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, GreatestStoryEverTold
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#145155 2 years, 5 months ago
One of the interesting thing about this whole process is that everyone reacts differently to the same event. While the band has better and worse nights, on the whole IMHO, they are doing fine, not losing any steam. They seem more comefortable with each other and more open to opening things up. I thought that Monday was stronger than Tuesday, though most people I talk to see it differently. Some other minor points. I have heard many good quality audience tapes (or whatever we call em these days). To me soundboards are always better. More detail, higher level quality, the tone, especially the non lead instruments is much truer, etc. GD vs Furthur. I like John, if Phil is one of the musicians I'll listen to any band he plays in. It's all good. I can also be super analytical though, in the end having fun and enjoying works. At their best the GD also had on and off nights. The hope was always to be open to having the x factor show up, and once in while very special moments can occur. Furthur and even the GD were are capable of being professional and putting on a good show. As for magic stuff, a lot of this is in the ear of the listener.
As for furthur being better that the GD, even at their weakest, uh perhaps I am showing my age, but...
Enough said. It is all good.
ajk-thesamething
Fresh Boarder

Re:Furthur is so hot I saw steam rising off stage

#145181 2 years, 5 months ago
I agree with you Katie Mae. Some shows of the GOGD were much more impressive musically than others. And yet the energy of the crowd was the constant that sustained me through the years. "There is nothing like a Grateful Dead show." And I'm finding the same holds true for Furthur. Certainly the best iteration of the boys since Jerry left us.
kfender
Gold Boarder

#145198 2 years, 5 months ago
I now have the soundboards for the first 4 nights.I have yet to listen to them yet though as i just finished a 16 hour shift and have another one tomorrow.I will check some out tomorrow night after i get home from work.Last night's stream sounded fine to me.Truckin' was a little slow but the set took off after that I thought.Loved the jam out of Comes A Time on Monday.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#145207 2 years, 5 months ago
I'm glad someone else noticed that jam out of Comes A Time. My impression was that it is the jam that comes out of Eyes. At first they were teasing it, then they went into it full blown. Also a nice transition into Franklins.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#145209 2 years, 5 months ago
I think Furthur is currently ebbin and flowin.
sometimes they ebb, sometimes they flow.
thats part of the show, if every show was played spot on, it would be WAY less special.
how many times did Jerry drop the ball in the late 90s? did i jump on phish tour and say fuk it? no way.

"you take the good, you take the bad, you take em both and there you have the facts of tour, the facts of tour..."

they lose steam, then gather more, then loose itagain, then gather some more, then repeat.
newyawker
Platinum Boarder
When the goin gets weird the weird turn pro

#145234 2 years, 5 months ago
Let me also add. From past experience doing multiple shows at the same venue brings complacency on the person and the band. Familiarity is directly related to energy. lets face it, we do not have the same energy in any relationship we have after a period of time. The original excitement, the original love is more refined and steady and not manic. IT takes more patience and a keen ear to find the golden nugget at each show the more you attend. And it takes a special attention to play the same place multiple nights in a row to bring it home with passion. The beacon, seeing it is so small and confined, makes it harder for a group to remain as passionate in the middle of a run. If you look historically, the opening nights and ending night is usually better than the middle segment. MSG in the late 80's and 90's will reflect this thought with a close listen. And MSG is a large venue. Yet even with a low flow, the bands GOGD and Furthur, do well!!!!!
'Nothin left to do but smile smile smile'
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by newyawker.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds