• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

OMG...are you EXCITED about visiting NYC yet?

#141905 2 years, 7 months ago
Here's just a few of the dozens of things I love to do when I'm in Manhattan:

Take the boat to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Get there early, and I mean early, aim for the first or second boat out; the line increases exponentially as each half hour passes.

Go see a Broadway show using 'rush' tickets. These are 'day of show' tickets that are bought in person at the theater in question in the morning on the day of show. Pick a show you want to see, and call the box office and ask if they have rush tickets available, and how to proceed about getting them. They usually cost about $25, a substantial savings. Wednesday matinees are good bets for excess seats. We got front row for Chicago. That was too close. A lot of the magic disappears when you can see the spit come out of the actors mouth and the dirt on the soles of their shoes as they dance. Shows that have been running for more than a year usually have rush tickets available.

Wander Central Park: don't miss the Zoo and the bandshell by Bethesda Fountain, and also see Belvedere Castle. The Wisteria arbor is beautiful, too.

Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, located in Central Park on Fifth Ave. Explore the Medieval wing and be amazed by the Studiolo. Also check out the American wing with it's beautiful Tiffany windows. Despite what they would like to have you believe, admission is by donation. That means you can give them a dollar or 5 dollars, not the huge amount they suggest on the sign by the admissions. Closed Mondays.

Go to the Natural History Museum at 80th and Central Park West. My favorite display is the hall of gems and minerals, and the Hayden Planetarium. They have awesome dinosaur casts and a really scary cast of a giant blue whale hanging from the ceiling. Lots of Native American artifacts and moth-eaten animal displays. Kind of creepy and kind of fun. Check out the extinct fish fossils for a good laugh. Feel relieved that the Earth no longer harbors elephant sized sloths. Buy yourself a cool souvenir from the Rose Center for Earth and Space. Open daily.

Go to the Cloisters, the Medieval annex to the MET, located in Fort Tryon Park, a beautiful terraced park on the Hudson in upper Manhattan. You'll never believe you're in Manhattan. Very peaceful. View of woods in NJ across the river donated by Rockefeller when he endowed the Cloisters. Closed Mondays.

Explore lower Manhattan on foot from 8th Street on down. Wander around at random and know you cannot get lost because you are on an island. Pass through Greenwich Village and the lower Eastside on your way to:

The Southstreet Seaport. Gawk at the views.

Go to St. Mark's Place and sort of relive the 70's.

For classic NYC souvenir shopping skip the tourist trap shops of Times Square, and go to the source: Mulberry Street in Chinatown in lower Manhattan. Lower prices and bigger selection.

Do NOT buy designer sunglasses from street vendors and do NOT play Three Card Monte no matter how many times you see another guy show you how easy it is to beat the Monte dealer.

OK, that's enough from me, please add your favorite Manhattan activities so that those visiting the hot dog can make the most of their time there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, scar1et_f1re, dead_in_ky, direwolflove222
kilowhat
Junior Boarder

Re: OMG...are you EXCITED about visiting NYC yet?

#141913 2 years, 7 months ago
Daisy Mae wrote:
Here's just a few of the dozens of things I love to do when I'm in Manhattan:

Take the boat to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Get there early, and I mean early, aim for the first or second boat out; the line increases exponentially as each half hour passes.

Go see a Broadway show using 'rush' tickets. These are 'day of show' tickets that are bought in person at the theater in question in the morning on the day of show. Pick a show you want to see, and call the box office and ask if they have rush tickets available, and how to proceed about getting them. They usually cost about $25, a substantial savings. Wednesday matinees are good bets for excess seats. We got front row for Chicago. That was too close. A lot of the magic disappears when you can see the spit come out of the actors mouth and the dirt on the soles of their shoes as they dance. Shows that have been running for more than a year usually have rush tickets available.

Wander Central Park: don't miss the Zoo and the bandshell by Bethesda Fountain, and also see Belvedere Castle. The Wisteria arbor is beautiful, too.

Go to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, located in Central Park on Fifth Ave. Explore the Medieval wing and be amazed by the Studiolo. Also check out the American wing with it's beautiful Tiffany windows. Despite what they would like to have you believe, admission is by donation. That means you can give them a dollar or 5 dollars, not the huge amount they suggest on the sign by the admissions. Closed Mondays.

Go to the Natural History Museum at 80th and Central Park West. My favorite display is the hall of gems and minerals, and the Hayden Planetarium. They have awesome dinosaur casts and a really scary cast of a giant blue whale hanging from the ceiling. Lots of Native American artifacts and moth-eaten animal displays. Kind of creepy and kind of fun. Check out the extinct fish fossils for a good laugh. Feel relieved that the Earth no longer harbors elephant sized sloths. Buy yourself a cool souvenir from the Rose Center for Earth and Space. Open daily.

Go to the Cloisters, the Medieval annex to the MET, located in Fort Tryon Park, a beautiful terraced park on the Hudson in upper Manhattan. You'll never believe you're in Manhattan. Very peaceful. View of woods in NJ across the river donated by Rockefeller when he endowed the Cloisters. Closed Mondays.

Explore lower Manhattan on foot from 8th Street on down. Wander around at random and know you cannot get lost because you are on an island. Pass through Greenwich Village and the lower Eastside on your way to:

The Southstreet Seaport. Gawk at the views.

Go to St. Mark's Place and sort of relive the 70's.

For classic NYC souvenir shopping skip the tourist trap shops of Times Square, and go to the source: Mulberry Street in Chinatown in lower Manhattan. Lower prices and bigger selection.

Do NOT buy designer sunglasses from street vendors and do NOT play Three Card Monte no matter how many times you see another guy show you how easy it is to beat the Monte dealer.

OK, that's enough from me, please add your favorite Manhattan activities so that those visiting the hot dog can make the most of their time there.

How about take the number 1 train to South Port to take the Staten Island Ferry to see the statue of Liberty. You forgot that important bit of information.

Forget about Broadway shows, the only one worth seeing is Book of Mormon and that's sold out for the next hundred years.

If you're going to Central Park Strawberry Fields is where you want to go. Right across Central Park West at 72nd St. is the Dakota bldng. where John Lennon lived, and where he died.

Don't smoke pot on the street, and if you do be VERY careful. NYC makes a lot of money busting people for smoking dope, jay walking, etc. It's not the city that never sleeps, it's the city that never stops generating revenue!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Daisy Mae, kevin, direwolflove222
Estimated Prophet
Junior Boarder

#141915 2 years, 7 months ago
I'd like to add have a drink at "Robert" the lounge on the top of the Art and Design Museum.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Daisy Mae
Daisy Mae
Expert Boarder

#141928 2 years, 7 months ago
Yes, I was just thinking about adding the Ferry to Staten Island as a cheaper alternative to the Liberty Ferry and a fun way to get out on the water in the company of regular NYer's, but I figured it sounds better to the folks at home to say 'I've been to the Statue of Liberty' rather than 'I've been to Staten Island'. Another thrill on the cheap we used to do is rather than pay for the viewing floor of the Empire State Building we would ride the elevator to a floor with a hall way and look out the window. That works pretty well in any building in Mid-town. If the elevator opens to a floor with a receptionist, you just hit the button for another floor. The views are breathtaking. There are also many private 'public' spaces in the highrise areas. Being able to use the internet to research places of interest and good places to eat is an amazing resource for planning a fun vacation.
nycdave
Platinum Boarder

#141952 2 years, 7 months ago
Riverside Drive is also a nice place to visit. Not as expansive as Central Park but lush trees, and a beatiful view of the Hudson River. Three blocks west of of Broadway. Mellow place to hang, a couple of levels, did I mention the river?
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#141958 2 years, 7 months ago
the best hot dogs are at papya king corner of 72nd st and broadway few blocks south of beacon get the biggest papya you can get after a show it recharges you like nothing else will i like the dogs extra crisy with mustard and red onions mmm mm can taste em now
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#141964 2 years, 7 months ago
Is there a place deadheads tend to congregate. Washington sq park or central park or ?
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
direwolflove222
Senior Boarder
Its an obsession but its pleasing

#141969 2 years, 7 months ago
I am so excited!!! Its been a long time since ive been in New York.. Cant wait to explore and cant wait to see Phil and Bobby at the Beacon.. Never been there, but I know I am in for a treat!!!!!!
eight-sided whispering hallelujah hat rack
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#141979 2 years, 6 months ago
scar1et_f1re wrote:
Is there a place deadheads tend to congregate. Washington sq park or central park or ?

Actually, the Lennon memorial Strawberry Fields in Central Park is pretty near the Beacon.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#142059 2 years, 6 months ago
Yes, I am.
Without love day to day insanity's king
Time to create page: 0.32 seconds