• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
DaddyDead
Junior Boarder

Re: What does it mean to be a Deadhead & are you one?

#14878 2 years, 12 months ago
Amen to Olompoli!

When your wife and kids say Dad can we listen to something else other than the Grateful Dead... and you don't hear it or care.... Yes, you're a DeadHead!
Last Edit: 2 years, 12 months ago by DaddyDead.
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#14897 2 years, 12 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
I also love the music of Parliament - Funkadelic as much as I do the GD music. What does that make me.

I believe the term is Funkateer.

As for being a Deadhead, for me it's always meant just being very deeply into the band's music. Plenty of other attitudes and life choices can arise from this association but I wouldn't say they're common to all Deadheads. For every quality in me that I see as a result of the music, I can find a Deadhead who's had the exact opposite reaction. And I do mean "every".

Just look at this board.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
velvet thunder
Junior Boarder

#14921 2 years, 12 months ago
Abba wrote:
I call myself a "head". Didn't get to tour with the GD but the music/vibe is what I'm all about. I'm not affraid to say I MISSED Jerry and consider myself a Deadhead...

I agree with you Abba, sometimes i feel, to be perfectly honest that i missed it, that i am hanging on to whats left, never getting to see Jerry, never getting to see the true Grateful dead. i have been to over 100 shows, Dead, P&F, the Dog furthur, but i still feel like i am chasing something i wont ever fully grasp. that is being a deadhead, i hate to admit this point. For me to admit it makes me feel like all those nights i spent waiting in the lot, fighting for dancing room and being completely enveloped in love from the band is all in the pursuit of being able to call myself a head. When is it enough? My week's, my emotions, run on energy of the excitement of waiting for the next show, hoping, praying i will see them again sooner then later. When is it enough to call yourself a Head? i seriously ask you all. I have wanted a dead tattoo, something of my own design, a bolt maybe, for the longest time, my first show was 2001... but i feel somehow unable to get one for the fear of being considered a fake, a wannabe. I feel like i have earned it, i feel like i can stick it out on a 5 night run with the best of them, i can sleep on the floor of a friend of a friend of a friends hotel room surrounded by more people than the fire code allows 4 fold. i wish i could let that feeling go, so, badly. I want to be able to say it proudly "I'm a deadhead" people i know consider me as much, but they don't know what the life is really like. How do you tell them what it means to YOU. How the music makes you feel. having no state to really call home, when i walk into that theater, feel the electricity, feel the energy, the love, i feel more at home then anywhere i have ever "lived". Is it self serving that i seek some sort of recognition for my deadication? Maybe, maybe i am far to worried what other people think of me. Maybe i need to let that shit go. let the four winds blow me where it may and worry less about who i bump into on the way or what they think of me as i pass by. I have had a hard time, finding my own identity within this collective identity, we all call the Grateful Dead Family. So many people have come before me, i only wish to join there ranks. i want to be a welcomed recruit, even if i feel like a veteran thanks for listening, was that a rant or what? this thread more than any other struck a cord within me. much love to you all
would you come closer if i asked you to?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#14926 2 years, 12 months ago
velvet thunder wrote:
Abba wrote:
I call myself a "head". Didn't get to tour with the GD but the music/vibe is what I'm all about. I'm not affraid to say I MISSED Jerry and consider myself a Deadhead...

I agree with you Abba, sometimes i feel, to be perfectly honest that i missed it, that i am hanging on to whats left, never getting to see Jerry, never getting to see the true Grateful dead. i have been to over 100 shows, Dead, P&F, the Dog furthur, but i still feel like i am chasing something i wont ever fully grasp. that is being a deadhead, i hate to admit this point. For me to admit it makes me feel like all those nights i spent waiting in the lot, fighting for dancing room and being completely enveloped in love from the band is all in the pursuit of being able to call myself a head. When is it enough? My week's, my emotions, run on energy of the excitement of waiting for the next show, hoping, praying i will see them again sooner then later. When is it enough to call yourself a Head? i seriously ask you all. I have wanted a dead tattoo, something of my own design, a bolt maybe, for the longest time, my first show was 2001... but i feel somehow unable to get one for the fear of being considered a fake, a wannabe. I feel like i have earned it, i feel like i can stick it out on a 5 night run with the best of them, i can sleep on the floor of a friend of a friend of a friends hotel room surrounded by more people than the fire code allows 4 fold. i wish i could let that feeling go, so, badly. I want to be able to say it proudly "I'm a deadhead" people i know consider me as much, but they don't know what the life is really like. How do you tell them what it means to YOU. How the music makes you feel. having no state to really call home, when i walk into that theater, feel the electricity, feel the energy, the love, i feel more at home then anywhere i have ever "lived". Is it self serving that i seek some sort of recognition for my deadication? Maybe, maybe i am far to worried what other people think of me. Maybe i need to let that shit go. let the four winds blow me where it may and worry less about who i bump into on the way or what they think of me as i pass by. I have had a hard time, finding my own identity within this collective identity, we all call the Grateful Dead Family. So many people have come before me, i only wish to join there ranks. i want to be a welcomed recruit, even if i feel like a veteran thanks for listening, was that a rant or what? this thread more than any other struck a cord within me. much love to you all

Get your tattoo!! How do you explain yourself to others....It just flows from me...Can't stop talking about the dead. People stop us and ask what show we are from or going to...answer "Going to a Dead show" Yes the GD are still touring..they just call it Furthur now. We recruit folks everywhere we go. We let them know that yes there is a traveling circus that still exsist, people are still selling handmade clothes and good food..and give me the chance I'll hand you a show. So how do you explain that you live everywhere?? A quick reply of here now works sometimes but not always..
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
velvet thunder
Junior Boarder

#14929 2 years, 12 months ago
I certainly don't hide it. on my desk at work i have two crystals and the only picture, framed, is jerry. But i feel like calling myself a deadhead, pins me, into their idea of what that is, not what it actually is, to me. Abba, thanks for the reply my man, i might just get that tattoo... ill fill ya in on it if it comes to pass!
would you come closer if i asked you to?
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#14931 2 years, 12 months ago
velvet thunder wrote:
I certainly don't hide it. on my desk at work i have two crystals and the only picture, framed, is jerry. But i feel like calling myself a deadhead, pins me, into their idea of what that is, not what it actually is, to me. Abba, thanks for the reply my man, i might just get that tattoo... ill fill ya in on it if it comes to pass!

If ever in the CT/RI area we know someone that tattoos GD family for 20 an hour
Dewey Haftu
Fresh Boarder

#14932 2 years, 12 months ago
Great web page devoted to the subject:

people.ee.duke.edu/~vishnus/deadhead.html
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#14934 2 years, 12 months ago
Nice
skidoo
Expert Boarder
skidoo, skidoo.....ski-doo doo doodlie doo doo doo

#15083 2 years, 12 months ago
talking to my friend sarko yesterday about politics religion family love death the fate of civilization you name it
about GD he said "it was inevitable that i got caught in that web man, and when all is said and done i'm better for it, ya know"
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#15302 2 years, 12 months ago
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Time to create page: 0.53 seconds