• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

Re: Lord Nrshimha (Krishna), on the Grateful Dead

#14529 3 years, 4 months ago
Wow, what a night!

Ever give this one a listen? It's a wild ride

The following info was taken from a comment on setlists.net for 2/19/29 Fillmore West:
-------------------------------------
THE GRATEFUL DEAD
Celestial Synapse 1969 [no label, 2CD]
Live at Fillmore West, San Francisco, CA, February 19, 1969. Good to very good soundboard

It’s actually 2/19/69 - the Celestial Synapse at the Fillmore West.

I listened to it not long ago and thought “no way this is June of ‘68.” It sounded real close in time to the Live Dead stuff, and

you can hear TC [keyboardist Tom Constanten] poking out of the murk from time to time. Plus, it includes both Not Fade

Away and The Main Ten, which started appearing on a more/less regular basis in April of ‘69.

What clinched the date was reading the Rolling Stone review of the Celestial Synapse in the booklet that came with the

Fillmore box set. It describes everybody in the Fillmore getting naked and crazy at about two in the morning, among them

Don McCoy from Olompali, who took the stage and started rapping. Bill Graham had to keep the security people from

pulling him off. Anyway, on this tape, after Lovelight, you hear a bunch of whooping and hollering, after which someone

gets on stage and announces “Hi, my name’s Don McCoy.” Apparently the date that’s written on the vault copy is hard to

read; Dick originally thought it said 8/29/68. Another mystery solved. Tell your friends!”
------------------------------------------

It then goes on to list the exact notes which are written at the bottom of this page.

Reviewer: floepiejane1 - - April 11, 2010
Subject: Not the first NFA
Rare Cuts and Oddities has it from 1966.

Reviewer: L. Rosley - 4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars4.00 out of 5 stars - April 1, 2009
Subject: FIRST Not Fade Away!!! Last “Carousel”
A rift in time: Not Fade Away and the Playin’ in the Band riff (in the Ten), in the middle of 1968! A show with a lot of historical interest. It’s like a day off from the usual stuff that band was playing at the time.

This is the first Not Fade Away, and is the only NFA of 1968. They didn’t play it again until December ’69.

The 20-minute Lovelight is looong. There’s a lot of it is vamping, not as much jamming.

The 20-minute chanting is reminiscent of the acid trips of 1965-66 (some of them are here at Archive.org). It does sound like Grace Slick singing 7 minutes into it. And it sounds like Bill Graham giving orders just before 21 minutes, trying to get the show started again.

The jam after the Main Ten isn’t exactly solid gold. It has moments of brilliance and other times where it isn’t going anywhere.

The Other One jam is the best jamming of the show. Jerry and Phil are dancing around each other for most of it, a real duet, driving and powerful. (The organ is barely audible, unfortunately). This was much longer than the Other Ones they had been playing at the time. (Possibly the first time without Cryptical Envelopment?)

Also of historical interest is that this is the last Dead show at the Carousel Ballroom before Bill Graham renamed it Fillmore West. All shows at this venue after this are listed as Fillmore West. I wonder if this was some sort of special event to mark the beginning of Bill Graham’s new venture.

(Graham had moved out of the original Fillmore Auditorium on Geary Blvd. at this time. The original Fillmore Auditorium was reopened in the ‘90’s. The Carousel Ballroom/Fillmore West is now a Honda dealership.)
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
prayer
Fresh Boarder

#16613 3 years, 4 months ago
link???
Hare Krishna Hare Krishna Krishna Krishna Hare Hare
Hare Rama Hare Rama Rama Rama Hare Hare
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#16621 3 years, 4 months ago
I made a thread about it...here ya go!
furthur.net/forum/general-discussion/166...llroom-6-19-68#16616

you wouldn't know how to post an image from a hard drive would you? I have some that you would love from The Oracle that I just remembered I scanned a couple of years ago.
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#16624 3 years, 4 months ago
I've always liked this album cover:

grateful_dead_-_1968_anthem_of_the_sun.jpg

Definitely looks very Tara-like.

Here's a cool link to a page w/ brief descriptions of some album artwork.
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#16637 3 years, 4 months ago
Great cover
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#16638 3 years, 4 months ago
Love that cover...
I figured it out, here's a cool image
or2_2011-04-25.JPG
The following user(s) said Thank You: Abba, prayer
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#16639 3 years, 4 months ago
I've been searching for a recording of the Mantra Rock show for YEARS. It's 1/29/67. There is no known source in existence.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#16643 3 years, 4 months ago
We just need someone who has it to hook us up
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#16653 3 years, 4 months ago