• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

Re: Magnolia Mountain

#13814 3 years, 4 months ago
Solid cover and I enjoy jk's take on it, but still not close to the power and emotion of the original version. I do hope it stays in semi-regular rotation though
terrapin_blue
Junior Boarder

#13815 3 years, 4 months ago
John is incredible with this song. The first time I heard it was spectacular, I haven't had many covers blow me out of the water like that. I think those who are saying it doesn't stand up haven't seen a really killer rendition of it yet. Only one of the three I saw was fuckin' unbelievable and mind-altering.

I also really like nobody girl, but haven't seen them play it yet.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#13824 3 years, 4 months ago
terrapin_blue wrote:
John is incredible with this song. The first time I heard it was spectacular, I haven't had many covers blow me out of the water like that. I think those who are saying it doesn't stand up haven't seen a really killer rendition of it yet. Only one of the three I saw was fuckin' unbelievable and mind-altering.

I also really like nobody girl, but haven't seen them play it yet.

11-19-2010 Nobody Girl... I walk around the house belting it all the time.
MCU 6-27-2010 Magnolia Mountian was the one that did it for me. John blows it out of the water!!
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
the Hiker
Junior Boarder

#13827 3 years, 4 months ago
i do not like Rian Adams so thanks in advance for not talking about him when i am on board.
skifurthur
Junior Boarder
Capturing the passion of performance

#13888 3 years, 4 months ago
I think JK does a pretty version of Magnolia Mountain with Furthur but Ryan Adams' live version has an unbelievable amount of angst in the vocals that brings the song to amazing heights that I don't think any other performer could reach.

I think it is a major vote from Furthur, and Phil individually, that the RA songs still pop up regularly...like Dylan and The Beatles. Heady company for Ryan and well deserved.
pogue mahone
Junior Boarder

#13896 3 years, 4 months ago
John does a tremendous job on it . . . but it wouldn't have been my first song to cover, not even my first RA song.
Chester
More or less in line

#13912 3 years, 4 months ago
I do like "Nobody Girl", too. I think I have to listen to Ryan's version's of these songs to get some perspective.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
JOE DANGLE
Junior Boarder

#13916 3 years, 4 months ago
Love it.... Liked it since the first time I saw it, caught it two time since then and it continues to be a tune that I sing after the show. Buzzes in the head
UnlimitedDevotee
Junior Boarder

#13929 3 years, 4 months ago
The version on sunday night @ Red Rocks last year was incredible. It wasnt until the second verse that I realized it was something I hadnt heard before The way it builds reminds me of a lullaby. To make it even more spectacular, I was wearing a shirt that said simply "Magnolia." Towards the end they did SugarMag too. I went home and planted a Magnolia bush
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fare thee well now, let your life proceed by it's own design.
Nothing to tell now, let the words be yours, Im done with mine.
Last Edit: 2 years, 11 months ago by UnlimitedDevotee.
Timmy Hoover
Junior Boarder

#13948 3 years, 4 months ago
It's a great song. I'm with Tony though on not really the same as hearing the Cardinals do it but I'm just happy to hear some RA tunes played live by someone other that myself these days.

Really hope Ryan does a US tour when he gets back from Europe.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds