• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

Re: FURTHUR or DSO?

#13738 3 years, 3 months ago
Furthur has a guy named Phil Lesh in it, so furthur by a mile!!!
coalcracker
Fresh Boarder

#13740 3 years, 3 months ago
Why must someone make a choice?

Both are great bands that are playing the music of the Grateful Dead in a live setting. Both are keeping the music alive, both are highly skilled.

I see no reason for there to be a choice. I'll continue to see both bands. And I'll continue to enjoy both bands.
Confusions Prince
Junior Boarder
High on a Mountain

#13748 3 years, 3 months ago
coalcracker wrote:
Why must someone make a choice?

Both are great bands that are playing the music of the Grateful Dead in a live setting. Both are keeping the music alive, both are highly skilled.

I see no reason for there to be a choice. I'll continue to see both bands. And I'll continue to enjoy both bands.

I'll second that. I've seen and enjoyed both bands (as well as many other bands who play Dead) and will continue to do so. I don't see it as ____ vs. ____; it's just another opportunity to hear more live GD music.
If it rolls, sink it.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13768 3 years, 3 months ago
>>I can not stand "the pocket " and avoid it in my own bass playing .

Now the ideal is to keep the pocket going while also playing outside of it. That is what the P-Funk bass players do.
UncleGrizz
Junior Boarder

#13784 3 years, 3 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
DSO does not play shows note for note. No one could unless they paid someone to transcribe all the parts of the entire show and had the sheet music in front of them. What they do is they play the arrangements and with the tonal quality that the Dead were playing during that period and the set list of the show.

I dont know about DSO, but Splintered Sunlight no doubt got alot of their arrangements straight from Dead bootleg versions of songs. Not all from the same show, but thats what they did.

And in terms of comparing DSO and Furthur, why would I go see a copy when I can still get a piece of the real thing ? Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)
You Know it's Gonna Get Stranger
Skullcap
Junior Boarder

#13787 3 years, 3 months ago
Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)

No, I do not know what you mean. What do you mean?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13791 3 years, 3 months ago
>>I dont know about DSO, but Splintered Sunlight no doubt got alot of their arrangements straight from Dead bootleg versions of songs. Not all from the same show, but thats what they did.

DSO also uses the arrangements that were played at the time of the show. Guess they got them from recordings.

>>Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)

I don't feel their relevance being forced on me.
Furthuron
Junior Boarder

#13804 3 years, 3 months ago
Skullcap wrote:
I used to love DSO, but of late, they fall a bit flat for me. It is strange, because they play very well, it just does not have the emotional relevance necessary to motivate me to want to keep going.

DSO lost their way and inspiration when JK jumped ship. They haven't recouped the magic that once was DSO. The last two shows in our town was only half full. It use to be filled with DSO fans. DSO hasn't gone furthur imho.

Furthur on!
"Standing on the moon,
With nothing left to do.
A lovely view of heaven,
But I'd rather be with you - be with you!
UncleGrizz
Junior Boarder

#13806 3 years, 3 months ago
Skullcap wrote:
Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)

No, I do not know what you mean. What do you mean?

For me, personally, I stopped going to ALOT of shows and touring with the Dead in 1990 ( after we lost Brent ). I went to a FEW shows in '91, and a couple in '92 ( before Jerry got sick again ), and a couple a year from then on, until we lost Jerry. But there was no doubt to men that the shows went downhill after Brent died, and furthur deteriorated after Jerry got sick, and started fighting his demons again, to the point that in '95, the shows had become straight crap.
After that happened, I ( to a point ), lost interest in the whole thing. I went to the first get together of the survivors ( Furthur Festival or the Other Ones ) or whatever they were calling it then, and it was pretty cool. But not cool enough to REALLY stoke my interest again. I've been to maybe a dozen shows of the different combinations of people that they've put together since '95, but never really thought it was that great. However, over the last 6 months or so, I've been listening to what this current formation has been doing, and they got me to road-trip up to Pittsburgh last month to see 'em, and I gotta' say, I thought they were GREAT. It sounded ( to me ) to be about as good as anything I've heard since about, ohh, 1990 ? So yeah, they sorta got me with that.

And I cant say that about any other show they've done that I've been to.

Just my perspective, but I've had alot of conversations about this with other folks, and I aint alone.
pogue mahone
Junior Boarder

#13835 3 years, 3 months ago
Here is my HIGHLY subjective, unscientific comparison of the individual band members in Furthur and DSO. When you want to get to the real answer to the age old sports question "Which team is better?". I prefer to break it down into its individual parts. At the very least, it helps me avoid making bonehead sports bets. So here goes . . .

Bob Weir vs. Rob Eaton:
Bob Weir will be remembered as one of the most innovative rhythm guitarists in the past 50 years when he is dead and gone. His style and approach to rhythm guitar is unique and and one of the most understated elements of the Grateful Dead sound. His singing voice, in its prime, was also very understated, IMO. Jerry Once said "Bob Weir makes me a better guitarist". Can Rob Eaton say that? In a nutshell, Rob Eaton tries too hard to be Weir on stage. His antiks look more herky-jerky than Bobby-esque. However, he is a more than adequate substitute for the real thing, but nothing more. Bob is a much better guitarist and vocalist than Rob. hands down. As for overall appearance, Bob wins again, simply for being able to pull off that ridiculous handlebar mustache that hasn't been in style since 1897. As for Rob, somebody close to him needs to let him know that not everybody was meant to have long hair and he is without question one of those people.
Edge: Bob Weir

Phil Lesh vs. Kevin Rosen:
bwaaaaaahahahahaha . . .ah-hahahahahaha . . . . oh man, lol
Edge: Phil

John K. vs. Jeff Mattson:
Okay, we have a decent debate here. But I won't go into it, its been done before. I go way back with Jeff and the Trickster days and personally, would probably have given him the edge just based on each guitarists respective work in DSO. However, after seeing JK with Furthur, I have come to appreciate his playing a lot more. Plus he has a better voice than Jeff, IMO. JK is also a multi-instrumentalist, which scores him bonus points and bob and Phil seem to love him.
Edge: JK

Jeff Chimenti vs. Rob Barraco:
This one is really close. I'd say Chementi has a stronger grasp of intricate jazz scales and is a better soloist. And when he solos and is really ON he really takes the jam to whole other level. Can Barraco say that? eh . . probably not. Personally, I've always liked basic chord playing ala Keith Godchaux, to go along with my GD music. Rob seems to deliver this in spades . . . and he sings pretty damn good too! But Jeff's solos have been getting better and better . . . This one will probably largely depend on individual preference, and since I can't decide objectively . . .
Edge: Tied

Joe Russo vs. the DSO drummers:
I admit drumming is not my expertise (actually, none of this is but who cares? Certainly not me). That said, even I can tell Russo is an animal behind the kit. Can the same be said for either DSO drummer? Not from what I've seen, at least not to the level that Russo is capable of bringing it. They do a good job replicating this music and are perfect for a cover band. But one cannot overlook the fact that Russo got the nod over Bill and Mickey for christ sake! Yeah, he's that good.
Edge: Russo

Jeff P. and Sunshine Garcia vs. Lisa Mackey:
I love what Lisa brings to the music, she is kind of like an understated Donna, which is perfect, IMO. I know most folks love the Furthur backup singers, and they do add a lot to the vocals (a WHOLE lot). But I still like the "Donna" format better. Not singing on every song, adding harmony when its needed. Again, maybe personal preference, but I feel that approach to back up vocals is more complimentary to GD music. However, both do a really good job, but Lisa does not sing at every show, and this hurts her. So its kind of unfair to compare her to two profesisional "everyday players". Nonetheless, Lisa Mackey got more soul and I would love to take her out to dinner.
Edge: Lisa Mackey

So you add it all up and yeah . . . . . its really not even close. Doesn't mean I won't go see DSO when they hit town. But who hear honestly gets all excited when DSO tickets are about to go onsale!!!! exactly. There will never be a thread complaining about the "DSO ticket debacle".

okay, I'm done.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by pogue mahone. Reason: editied to show Lisa by a nose
UncleGrizz
Junior Boarder

#13841 3 years, 3 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
>>I dont know about DSO, but Splintered Sunlight no doubt got alot of their arrangements straight from Dead bootleg versions of songs. Not all from the same show, but thats what they did.

DSO also uses the arrangements that were played at the time of the show. Guess they got them from recordings.

>>Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)

I don't feel their relevance being forced on me.

Dont you have a gig tonight ?

Hey, and come by SSDD this summer. We'll hang out......
Creeker
Junior Boarder

#13842 3 years, 3 months ago
Lets see

I am gonna go with FURTHUR

But in the end..

Bring back Billy K's Trio!
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala
Time to create page: 0.69 seconds