• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

Re: FURTHUR or DSO?

#13731 3 years, 6 months ago
without a doubt i prefer furthur...obviously i saw DSO way before i ever saw furthur, and i thought they were pretty damn good. what i liked about DSO was john, headband (im glad they hired him full time), and the two drummer effect from dino and rob. i never really thought kevin was that spectacular on bass, often sounded studio-like. rob eaton tried way too freakin hard..just play your guitar man, you aren't weir--who knows maybe you have to be crazy to be bobby weird...their female vocalist was not bad either. i definitely had a great time seeing them. i've seen them once since jk joined furthur and i was not impressed one bit. jeff mattson was just not doing it for me, the band did not seem nearly as into it...no energy.

i like furthur better because you've got phil melodically running marathons over weirs dark rhythm, something you just cannot get anywhere near in DSO. you can call furthur whatever you want to ccall it--cover band, tribute band, etc...they are still going to blow a DSO show out of the water, at least that is MY opinion.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Skullcap
Junior Boarder

#13736 3 years, 6 months ago
I used to love DSO, but of late, they fall a bit flat for me. It is strange, because they play very well, it just does not have the emotional relevance necessary to motivate me to want to keep going.

I have enjoyed much of the Furthur shows I have seen, but I am puzzled at why JK seems to be holding back in the band. I would love to see him really go for it like he used to with DSO. He seems so hesitant and tentative with Furthur most of the time.
OtherOne
Junior Boarder

#13738 3 years, 6 months ago
Furthur has a guy named Phil Lesh in it, so furthur by a mile!!!
coalcracker
Fresh Boarder

#13740 3 years, 6 months ago
Why must someone make a choice?

Both are great bands that are playing the music of the Grateful Dead in a live setting. Both are keeping the music alive, both are highly skilled.

I see no reason for there to be a choice. I'll continue to see both bands. And I'll continue to enjoy both bands.
Confusions Prince
Junior Boarder
High on a Mountain

#13748 3 years, 6 months ago
coalcracker wrote:
Why must someone make a choice?

Both are great bands that are playing the music of the Grateful Dead in a live setting. Both are keeping the music alive, both are highly skilled.

I see no reason for there to be a choice. I'll continue to see both bands. And I'll continue to enjoy both bands.

I'll second that. I've seen and enjoyed both bands (as well as many other bands who play Dead) and will continue to do so. I don't see it as ____ vs. ____; it's just another opportunity to hear more live GD music.
If it rolls, sink it.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13768 3 years, 6 months ago
>>I can not stand "the pocket " and avoid it in my own bass playing .

Now the ideal is to keep the pocket going while also playing outside of it. That is what the P-Funk bass players do.
UncleGrizz
Junior Boarder

#13784 3 years, 6 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
DSO does not play shows note for note. No one could unless they paid someone to transcribe all the parts of the entire show and had the sheet music in front of them. What they do is they play the arrangements and with the tonal quality that the Dead were playing during that period and the set list of the show.

I dont know about DSO, but Splintered Sunlight no doubt got alot of their arrangements straight from Dead bootleg versions of songs. Not all from the same show, but thats what they did.

And in terms of comparing DSO and Furthur, why would I go see a copy when I can still get a piece of the real thing ? Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)
You Know it's Gonna Get Stranger
Skullcap
Junior Boarder

#13787 3 years, 6 months ago
Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)

No, I do not know what you mean. What do you mean?
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13791 3 years, 6 months ago
>>I dont know about DSO, but Splintered Sunlight no doubt got alot of their arrangements straight from Dead bootleg versions of songs. Not all from the same show, but thats what they did.

DSO also uses the arrangements that were played at the time of the show. Guess they got them from recordings.

>>Especially right NOW, as that part of the real thing is FORCING it's relevance to us older heads ( if you know what I mean.)

I don't feel their relevance being forced on me.
Furthuron
Junior Boarder

#13804 3 years, 6 months ago
Skullcap wrote:
I used to love DSO, but of late, they fall a bit flat for me. It is strange, because they play very well, it just does not have the emotional relevance necessary to motivate me to want to keep going.

DSO lost their way and inspiration when JK jumped ship. They haven't recouped the magic that once was DSO. The last two shows in our town was only half full. It use to be filled with DSO fans. DSO hasn't gone furthur imho.

Furthur on!
"Standing on the moon,
With nothing left to do.
A lovely view of heaven,
But I'd rather be with you - be with you!
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds