• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Docpaleo
Junior Boarder
Peace, love & light

FURTHUR or DSO?

#13685 3 years, 4 months ago
I have never seen either one before but I heard some folks saying that DSO was drawing larger crowds than Furthur and the music on any given night is about on par with each orther.

What's your opinion?

peace

whitey
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

Re: FURTHUR or DSO?

#13688 3 years, 4 months ago
I prefer DSO over Furthur based on the small sample of Furthur I had. As for crowds - Furthur plays larger venue so I guess they get larger crowds. Might be equal in the smaller venues they both play.
brobnsita
Junior Boarder
i'm in the world to change the world

#13690 3 years, 4 months ago
i love em both! never had a less-than-amazing time at either of their shows!
laughin in her eyes, dancin in her feet
Chester
More or less in line

#13693 3 years, 4 months ago
They are both great bands. I guess I lean towards Furthur, mostly because they are closer to the "source".
But if you get a chance to see DSO, by all means do. You'll love it.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
illuminaughty
Platinum Boarder

#13694 3 years, 4 months ago
furthur draws more peeps. dso is for kids who never got to see the GRATEFUL dead, and woud like to hear a show from 74 plalyed note for note. im not into it. seen dso, and was bored to tears, most large cities have better dead cover bands that pllay at local pub for much lower cover. furthur, its hot or cold. but when its hot, its hot, and when its not well, thats why you go on tour. i actually prefer ratdog to furthur, but i prefer furthur to 09 de3d, warren was way too southern rock. if phil could settle his beef with kimock and kimock would play with them , that my friend would be kick ass, ohh yeah the rythem devils too, core four, steve, jeff, bada bing, im downloadin shows and savin up for tour. but furthur is fun, and i willl be at shoreline. oh my entire of furthur is based on seeing them once dec. 30th 09. i have heard they have gotten better. they rocked that night though, and phil had the lit up bass, but alas, some folks like dso, i say go see em both and decide for yourself, take the pepsi challenge.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13700 3 years, 4 months ago
DSO does not play shows note for note. No one could unless they paid someone to transcribe all the parts of the entire show and had the sheet music in front of them. What they do is they play the arrangements and with the tonal quality that the Dead were playing during that period and the set list of the show.
GrayFolded
Junior Boarder
PhilDropsBombs

#13710 3 years, 4 months ago
Saw DSO a couple of times (i live in Chicago) and was VERY IMPRESSED, but at the time I was still digging P&F way more....I thought 2009 Dead Tour was ok but not spectacular and so I was blown away when Furthur formed, always wanted to hear JK with Phil & Bobby...I'm a huge fan of Furthur...

And yes, DSO does not play note for note, they just play the exact setlist of whatever show they are doing.....Note for Note would be require Zappa Level Music Reading/Notation skills...

DSO is still sounding really good without JK!!!
LeshPhilingBassGreat
shoelesh
Junior Boarder

#13712 3 years, 4 months ago
from the shows i've been to the Phil blows the DSO bass player out of the water . As a matter of fact , in my opinion the DSO bassist is quite unsuited for the music . Seems he wants to live in the pocket too much . I can not stand "the pocket " and avoid it in my own bass playing .
The following user(s) said Thank You: chinacatballs
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

#13716 3 years, 4 months ago
I like both
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#13725 3 years, 4 months ago
this seems like the 3rd DSO vs Furthur thread ive seen this week.

Geeze louiz!

btw furthur all day. Dude its Fucking BOBBY And PHIL! how is there question
Time to create page: 0.43 seconds