• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
JStraw
Junior Boarder

Re: How did you get into the Dead and when?

#15703 3 years, 4 months ago

Thought they were a heavy metal band (the name!) until I heard American Beauty, was pleasantly confused, & fell in love with that album. Then drove 8 hours to my first show 6/30/88 Laguna Seca.
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by JStraw.
CinnamonGirl53
Junior Boarder

#15720 3 years, 4 months ago
In 1971 I was a student nurse living in London in a flat with roomates. We were a motley bunch, my fav. music up till then had been Motown, UK top of the pops stuff, Jimmy Cliff, ska music was popular in England at that time. Also John Mayall & early fleetwood mac, floyd, zep, genesis etc. anyway, some of the folks were into West Coast sound like Airplane, Spirit, Grateful Dead, Zappa, Beefheart and of course Grateful Dead. Anyway, basically Live Dead (American Flag - ACID) was played and played till eventually the songs grew on me. Definately, a creep upon you type music. I particularly enjoyed the way the music could influence your mood and the different time signatures on some of the songs. Then I listened to Aoxomoxa and really started to love their stuff. We also enjoyed the album cover art and endlessly looked for secret pictures!!

In 1972 they came to Wembley where I was fortunate to hear them. Memories are fuzzy but I do recall Bobby with a long ponytail and Pigpen! Next time they came back was around 81 where we saw them at the rainbow theater in London. I dont recall the shows being packed which meant plenty of grooving space. Fun again. I moved to USA around 82 and saw them when they came to a venue near me. Never did a whole tour but never got jaded with them either. As the old adage goes 'there is nothing like a Grateful Dead show'.

I still have those old 33 and a third rpm albums and they still play beautifully!

It is such a joy to be able to see and hear Further... those live streams for the couch tour are totally boss!
*pict groover*
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#15765 3 years, 4 months ago
much respect and jealousy to anyone who got into em way back when. (much respect to everyone but ya know!)
jbeach12078
Junior Boarder

#15791 3 years, 4 months ago
a friend many years ago; we would take miny road trips and jam to the 77 ithaca show.
W i n o
Junior Boarder

#15832 3 years, 4 months ago
474917.jpg

71ish when I saw JGB at the Lionshare in San Insane-O
milesgone
Junior Boarder
All the milesgone behind me to see shows

#16462 3 years, 4 months ago
got to college in 90 went to ATL didn't get in.. I was like. man these people are so nice!!!! this is where I belong.

previously I was a metal fan.. still am

It was easy.. I listened to dead, phish, wsp all at the same time and came to love aspects of all the big jam bands including SCI.
brobnsita
Junior Boarder
i'm in the world to change the world

#16473 3 years, 4 months ago
9th grade ('93) a history teacher at my school was the 'cool' teacher. big head with dead posters all over his classroom. we would listen to live shows when he wasn't teaching. didn't go to my first (and only) dead show until the summer after my 10th grade year. '95 when they played at rfk for the last time. have loved them ever since! thank you, mr smith
laughin in her eyes, dancin in her feet
Last Edit: 3 years, 4 months ago by brobnsita.
neverstop66
Platinum Boarder

#16713 3 years, 4 months ago
It was sept 1981. GD was coming to Buffalo. I was 15. Dudes I knew in the hood were going to the show. GD shows had a big party it up reputation and we were always up for any kind of party and party favors. Bought some tix, headed to show, got our hands on some liquid, headed inside and the next few hours were some of the craziest shit id ever seen and the music, sweet music, was amazing. What's this? I can get copies of this show? Wore that cassette out i'll tell you. Hit shows every year after that til 91, some years more shows than others. Hard to believe that was 30 f'in years ago! Wish I had the disposable income I have now back then. On the other hand, maybe its best that I didn't. Could have been fatal lol!
Chris1126
Junior Boarder

#16732 3 years, 4 months ago
My dad and his friends used to have a party in our back yard every weekend. All day drinking, smoking, followed by some grilling, then the tiki torches would come out and the party disbanded when the po-po would arrive. They would always have this 'interesting' music blaring, with lots of singin and the occasional 'WOOOOOO!'. I could hear this music from inside the house (I was only 14 or 15 at the time) gettin ready to get my weekend on with my friends. One Saturday, with nothing better to do, I found myself out back with the boys. The music was incredible I remember, now that I was right by the source. It was a blend of African tribal beats, with get-down-boogie guitar, and some killer keyboard playin thrown in for good measure. Immediately, I was into this shit, hooked!!! It gave me a feeling I cannot describe, something that music had never done for me before. I said, "WOW, this is pretty good, what is it?" "It's THE DEAD!!" my dads buddy replied. Before everyone left that night, he gave me the tape to make a copy of it. That was my first Dead Tape, and I played the hell out of it. More tapes came my way, and eventually I found my way to a RATDOG show, and never looked back!!!

The tape I fell in love with was either a late 80's early 90's (sorry it was over a decade ago) second set. I believe there was a Sampson & Delilah, Crazy Fingers, Drums, Space, Truckin, Dear Mr. Fantasy, Hey Jude (reprise), Comes A Time, It's All Over Now Baby Blue, Johnny B. Goode, and maybe some more (like I said, its been a long time). I probably still have that tape laying around somewhere. If I find it, lookout neighbors!!

steelie.jpg
"Talking a lot about less and less;
And forgetting the love we bring."
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#16760 3 years, 4 months ago
a quick search on the setlist program revealed that the show was 9/7/85 from Red Rocks.

its the only show that had all the songs you mentioned.

I know almost everybody uses deadbase but I think it easier to search setlists with the setlist program.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chris1126
Time to create page: 0.54 seconds