• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1541

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#211787 1 year, 10 months ago
Boxofrain wrote:
I recently spoke with managers at both the Beacon and at Best Buy. Both confirmed that there WILL be a NYC run Spring 2013 for Furthur. The Beacon manager said they really wanted them back but, as of 3 weeks ago, which is when I spoke with him, that was still tbd. At that point, the band was also looking at MSG & RCMH. However, last week, a mgr at Best Buy said his info was that they were headed to the Beacon.

Obviously, there might be more going on behind the scenes that these managers are unaware of, but sounds like they may indeed be headed back to the Beacon!


That is encouraging news with the rumors of Furthur hanging it up.

The Beacon is too small and tickets were impossible to get so if it is financially feasible I would urge Phil and Bob to investigate the pros and cons of Radio City or even MSG with more shows in say Philly, or elsewhere,rather than just New England. Taht would take some of the scalping pressure off.

I urge everyone here to join with me in urging Furthur to really take this into serious consideration.

Those Spring 2012 Beacon shows were damned near impossible to get into. It was the worst scalping imaginable associated with Furthur.

GSTSTOO also seemed to have vary little of the ticket allotment.

Something has got to give!

I find it amusing that the Beacon wants Futhur back because their ushers and personnel in general are ball-busting SOBs!!!!!!

I do not smoke or drink a lot yet even I noticed a zealousness of their part in harassing Dead heads.

The Beacon entrance is too small and their are not enough toilets. Not by a long shot. It is very, very bad. No joke.

Sure it looks nice inside but that is not enough.

Radio City is much large in aisle space, entrances, toilets. I do not no if the ushers are better or worse though.

Of course MSG would certainly give everyone a much better shot at getting in which is the single most important point. I do not, however, have any idea of what the numbers $ look like to Furthur's management though.
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by deadegad.
kevin
Platinum Boarder
Posts:3313

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#211827 1 year, 10 months ago
deadegad wrote:
Boxofrain wrote:
I recently spoke with managers at both the Beacon and at Best Buy. Both confirmed that there WILL be a NYC run Spring 2013 for Furthur. The Beacon manager said they really wanted them back but, as of 3 weeks ago, which is when I spoke with him, that was still tbd. At that point, the band was also looking at MSG & RCMH. However, last week, a mgr at Best Buy said his info was that they were headed to the Beacon.

Obviously, there might be more going on behind the scenes that these managers are unaware of, but sounds like they may indeed be headed back to the Beacon!


That is encouraging news with the rumors of Furthur hanging it up.

The Beacon is too small and tickets were impossible to get so if it is financially feasible I would urge Phil and Bob to investigate the pros and cons of Radio City or even MSG with more shows in say Philly, or elsewhere,rather than just New England. Taht would take some of the scalping pressure off.

I urge everyone here to join with me in urging Furthur to really take this into serious consideration.

Those Spring 2012 Beacon shows were damned near impossible to get into. It was the worst scalping imaginable associated with Furthur.

GSTSTOO also seemed to have vary little of the ticket allotment.

Something has got to give!

I find it amusing that the Beacon wants Futhur back because their ushers and personnel in general are ball-busting SOBs!!!!!!

I do not smoke or drink a lot yet even I noticed a zealousness of their part in harassing Dead heads.

The Beacon entrance is too small and their are not enough toilets. Not by a long shot. It is very, very bad. No joke.

Sure it looks nice inside but that is not enough.

Radio City is much large in aisle space, entrances, toilets. I do not no if the ushers are better or worse though.

Of course MSG would certainly give everyone a much better shot at getting in which is the single most important point. I do not, however, have any idea of what the numbers $ look like to Furthur's management though.


I would prefer RCMH anyday over the Beacon, better yet no NYC shows

BUT I think the guarantee of sell outs and Phil staying at his own place for the run is the ultimate decider

All current Phil shows are in Manhattan or close to an hour's drive away, that and 8 nights at the Beacon last spring kinda says a lot about future tour plans
-- smell every flower --
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
Posts:1079
...they probably take care of themselves

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#211928 1 year, 10 months ago
From a dancers point of view, I would prefer that they play ANYWHERE in the City other than The Beacon; I waited in line for 19 hours to get tickets for every show, paid my $70 like everyone else, and I was kicked out two of the nights for dancing (Because I wouldn't go to my seat, not because I was hitting or inconveniencing others)

also, the staff and security were insulting, down talking, miserably negative; unhappy, and willfully ignorant people.

Please Band, no Beacon
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
Tucson John
Senior Boarder
Posts:518

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#211929 1 year, 10 months ago
I want a west coast summer tour mix it up. Let us dance in the sun for a change!
Tucson John
Senior Boarder
Posts:518

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#211934 1 year, 10 months ago
Bobby said last night in the TRI thingy Furthur will keep touring. I keep telling my wife this is their last tour though, so I can get my show on!
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
deadegad
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1541

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212100 1 year, 10 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
From a dancers point of view, I would prefer that they play ANYWHERE in the City other than The Beacon; I waited in line for 19 hours to get tickets for every show, paid my $70 like everyone else, and I was kicked out two of the nights for dancing (Because I wouldn't go to my seat, not because I was hitting or inconveniencing others)

also, the staff and security were insulting, down talking, miserably negative; unhappy, and willfully ignorant people.

Please Band, no Beacon


I hear you. Some who went to the show thought that some of the Beacon Staff took great joy in harassing members of The Dead community.

As I mentioned earlier I do not remember if the Radio City staff is (are?) better or worse. The most important thing, however, is getting in and Radio C holds a couple of thousand more. MSG, ofcourse, would get all of us in.

Hey Furthur management: please consider a large venue than The Beacon so we can get tickets!
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4178
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212102 1 year, 10 months ago
I have an awesome story about seeing the GD at RCMH in 1980 and getting amazing service from the head usher there. The short story is we had problems with our tickets and this guy went above and beyond the call of duty and we had a blast, so I vote for Radio City.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212118 1 year, 10 months ago
My take on NYC venues

Best Buy---no thanks. It's proximity to Broadway and our mix with the tourists is not a good one. Businesses in that area don't like us.
Beacon--a big hit amongst those who've seen a show there, but the demand is too much and don't like
the way scalpers made out like bandits last spring.
RCMH--never saw a show there, but know the venue, and it seems to have been popular in spring 2011 from reports I've heard. Because it was remodeled a few years back it seems almost too nice a place to see a rock show.
MSG--an arena just dripping with rock and roll history, and I like that aspect. Yes it's big, but that place full of Furthur
fans has intense energy, because they always play good shows there. Security has always been mellow inside. Besides, Phil and Bob have played so many shows at MSG over the years, they just seem at home.
If they could spilt their NY stay by playing a few week night shows at the Beacon, then playing the weekend at MSG would work pretty good...allowing more to see the shows, and having a choice between two good environments.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder
Posts:6476

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212120 1 year, 10 months ago
RCMH was killer. i had no issues whatsoever. i heard they didn't want us back

edit: beacon is simply too small. you can't even dance in your seat comfortably, let alone take refuge in an empty aisle. i had zero issues getting all tickets i wanted but i know many did. to go back there would be a slap in the face i think. best buy was fine, i like it there. garden is cool too but they can't do more than a couple nights there with big attendance figures.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 1 year, 10 months ago by wlewis.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212123 1 year, 10 months ago
deadegad wrote:
Little Bear wrote:
From a dancers point of view, I would prefer that they play ANYWHERE in the City other than The Beacon; I waited in line for 19 hours to get tickets for every show, paid my $70 like everyone else, and I was kicked out two of the nights for dancing (Because I wouldn't go to my seat, not because I was hitting or inconveniencing others)

also, the staff and security were insulting, down talking, miserably negative; unhappy, and willfully ignorant people.

Please Band, no Beacon


I hear you. Some who went to the show thought that some of the Beacon Staff took great joy in harassing members of The Dead community.

As I mentioned earlier I do not remember if the Radio City staff is (are?) better or worse. The most important thing, however, is getting in and Radio C holds a couple of thousand more. MSG, ofcourse, would get all of us in.



Was walking down Amsterdam after show on 4/15 and heard one of the Beacon staff say "I can't wait until this crowd is out of here". I engaged him in a conversation and asked why that was. His response is "this crowd is crazy, man they sure can party". Not sure if that had something to do with increasing his work load, or whatever, and never really got an idea why he'd made that comment. It might have been the music...hard to imagine, but not everyone digs the sounds. Hmmm, might have been we were just having too much fun.....

Hey Furthur management: please consider a large venue than The Beacon so we can get tickets!
bambamcdn
Junior Boarder
Posts:253

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212124 1 year, 10 months ago
I say don't play NYC unless its summer outside at Coney, MCU ..but ok ill go with Radio City it is a nice spot ..
Someday, everything is gonna be different
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1533

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212125 1 year, 10 months ago
wlewis wrote:
RCMH was killer. i had no issues whatsoever. i heard they didn't want us back

edit: beacon is simply too small. you can't even dance in your seat comfortably, let alone take refuge in an empty aisle. i had zero issues getting all tickets i wanted but i know many did. to go back there would be a slap in the face i think. best buy was fine, i like it there. garden is cool too but they can't do more than a couple nights there with big attendance figures.


There were a lot of folks who had bad experiences at Best Buy. I certainly felt the presence of the heat inside, and there were cops standing right outside the barracade where the smoking area is to detect the waft of herb.
I can believe RC wouldn't want our lot back. It just doesn't seem the right place for us. Too sophisto.
Time to create page: 0.29 seconds