• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212577 1 year, 11 months ago
DeadlyDan wrote:
Beacon is cool, security is not. I brought some ballons in 'cause our seats were on the balcony and whenever that happens we like to have balloon races. By that I just mean knocking 2 down onto the main floor and seeing whose gets furthur faster. We had to stop though when we saw security hasseling the people who were bouncing the balloons along. They even had a balloon jail behind a piller where they kept balloons after taking them. We also saw numerous people get in trouble for dancing, even in their seats. Smoke was possible, but not casual. Had to keep that head on a swivel 'cause they were all over that. Not to mention all the access/scalping issues. Gorgeous venue but it was WAY to much of a hassel.

Yup.

Not to mention all the access/scalping issues

Double Yup.

The demand for tickets certainly seemed to exceed the supply = Sclapers Dream! GDTS seemed not to have much either. We need to get in first and foremost and The Beacon is too small.
dougieisirie
Junior Boarder

#212628 1 year, 11 months ago
[quote="deadegad" post=212577]DeadlyDan wrote:
Smoke was possible, but not casual. Had to keep that head on a swivel 'cause they were all over that. Not to mention all the access/scalping issues. Gorgeous venue but it was WAY to much of a hassel.

I think the Beacon Theatre is a great venue. In 2006, it was refurbished and joined the MSG entertainment complex, ever since then security has been very tight about smoking in the venue. I remember going to Hot tuna shows in the early 2000s where smoking was very cool. Now it's pretty much nonexistent. There is security everywhere.
"Some ask, why play Grateful Dead music??
For those that know, no answer is necessary,
For those that don't, no answer is possible."
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#213057 1 year, 11 months ago
manunyc wrote:
Radio city is nice but it is a bit on the big side. It feels like a cavern when you are up top. Plus there ushers never let up at the last few shows I was at going as far as to walk the stairs once and a while. It made you feel as though u where always being watched all the time. I love the Beacon. It has the best feel for a theater even if it is cramped at times. Plus having seen a lot of shows there they really seem to be the best at letting us be free without going wild. It has gotten crazy tight out front but still not a quarter what was at radio city overall. After decades of Allman shows I think the Beacon knows how to walk the line.

But getting in to see the show is the most important thing. The Beacon is too small. Supply and demand. GDTS had much too small an allotment of tickets.

With a limited spring run and then a Beacon residency too many fans were left outside. Fans with money, I mean, not miracle seekers. If Furthur does this again we are screwed!

I wish they would play a residency at MSG so we could all get in but they may not be popular enough to make that financially feasible. Radio City, therefore seems a reasonable alternative.
alilfurther
Platinum Boarder

#213064 1 year, 11 months ago
I LOVE radio city hope they come back in the spring better yet the old knick in albany my hometown 3 nights how happy would I be ??????
Let It SHIIIINE !!!!!!!!!!
RafaelO
Junior Boarder

#217829 1 year, 10 months ago
East Coast West Coast, love you guys! But.....We need Midwest shows.....I caught four shows last fall, this year nada.

Chicago, St. Louis, Indy...Michigan, Ohio....Let's do it boys! We are eagerly awaiting Furthur.
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, Strider1
ecojaded
Platinum Boarder
"Why don't you arrest me"

#217863 1 year, 10 months ago
RafaelO wrote:
East Coast West Coast, love you guys! But.....We need Midwest shows.....I caught four shows last fall, this year nada.

Chicago, St. Louis, Indy...Michigan, Ohio....Let's do it boys! We are eagerly awaiting Furthur.

Yes ! We want more shows in the middle of the map
She tries to live by the golden rule.
Said you treat other people right,
Other people probably treat you cool.
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, Strider1
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#217936 1 year, 10 months ago
I still say split a NY visit in the spring between the Garden and any other venue. Play smaller place during the week, then Garden friday/saturday/sunday, or whatever the schedule allows. I wouldn't even bother with Radio City or the Beacon just because I prefer the Garden. Better in every way other than it's larger than some of you like. The energy is always high and I can't think of a less than stellar show being played there. I think of MSG as sort of the home office of live music. The place draws good performances out of whoever plays there.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#217937 1 year, 10 months ago
ecojaded wrote:
RafaelO wrote:

Yes ! We want more shows in the middle of the map

and you should have them, by all means. But my question is the same question Furthur would ask.....what is the demand for midwest shows?
I still wonder why Furthur has yet to play New Orleans, Austin, Houston, Santa Fe/Albuquerque or Phoenix. I'm not sure they've ever played any of those places.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#217939 1 year, 10 months ago
All their Chicago shows have been packed!
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#217940 1 year, 10 months ago
RafaelO wrote:

Not sure if you can make it to Colorado in February, but you can get plane tickets from Midway to Denver for under $200 on Southwest!
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds