• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#212102 1 year, 9 months ago
I have an awesome story about seeing the GD at RCMH in 1980 and getting amazing service from the head usher there. The short story is we had problems with our tickets and this guy went above and beyond the call of duty and we had a blast, so I vote for Radio City.
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#212118 1 year, 9 months ago
My take on NYC venues

Best Buy---no thanks. It's proximity to Broadway and our mix with the tourists is not a good one. Businesses in that area don't like us.
Beacon--a big hit amongst those who've seen a show there, but the demand is too much and don't like
the way scalpers made out like bandits last spring.
RCMH--never saw a show there, but know the venue, and it seems to have been popular in spring 2011 from reports I've heard. Because it was remodeled a few years back it seems almost too nice a place to see a rock show.
MSG--an arena just dripping with rock and roll history, and I like that aspect. Yes it's big, but that place full of Furthur
fans has intense energy, because they always play good shows there. Security has always been mellow inside. Besides, Phil and Bob have played so many shows at MSG over the years, they just seem at home.
If they could spilt their NY stay by playing a few week night shows at the Beacon, then playing the weekend at MSG would work pretty good...allowing more to see the shows, and having a choice between two good environments.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#212120 1 year, 9 months ago
RCMH was killer. i had no issues whatsoever. i heard they didn't want us back

edit: beacon is simply too small. you can't even dance in your seat comfortably, let alone take refuge in an empty aisle. i had zero issues getting all tickets i wanted but i know many did. to go back there would be a slap in the face i think. best buy was fine, i like it there. garden is cool too but they can't do more than a couple nights there with big attendance figures.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by wlewis.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#212123 1 year, 9 months ago
deadegad wrote:
Little Bear wrote:
From a dancers point of view, I would prefer that they play ANYWHERE in the City other than The Beacon; I waited in line for 19 hours to get tickets for every show, paid my $70 like everyone else, and I was kicked out two of the nights for dancing (Because I wouldn't go to my seat, not because I was hitting or inconveniencing others)

also, the staff and security were insulting, down talking, miserably negative; unhappy, and willfully ignorant people.

Please Band, no Beacon

I hear you. Some who went to the show thought that some of the Beacon Staff took great joy in harassing members of The Dead community.

As I mentioned earlier I do not remember if the Radio City staff is (are?) better or worse. The most important thing, however, is getting in and Radio C holds a couple of thousand more. MSG, ofcourse, would get all of us in.

Was walking down Amsterdam after show on 4/15 and heard one of the Beacon staff say "I can't wait until this crowd is out of here". I engaged him in a conversation and asked why that was. His response is "this crowd is crazy, man they sure can party". Not sure if that had something to do with increasing his work load, or whatever, and never really got an idea why he'd made that comment. It might have been the music...hard to imagine, but not everyone digs the sounds. Hmmm, might have been we were just having too much fun.....

Hey Furthur management: please consider a large venue than The Beacon so we can get tickets!
bambamcdn
Junior Boarder

#212124 1 year, 9 months ago
I say don't play NYC unless its summer outside at Coney, MCU ..but ok ill go with Radio City it is a nice spot ..
Someday, everything is gonna be different
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#212125 1 year, 9 months ago
wlewis wrote:
RCMH was killer. i had no issues whatsoever. i heard they didn't want us back

edit: beacon is simply too small. you can't even dance in your seat comfortably, let alone take refuge in an empty aisle. i had zero issues getting all tickets i wanted but i know many did. to go back there would be a slap in the face i think. best buy was fine, i like it there. garden is cool too but they can't do more than a couple nights there with big attendance figures.

There were a lot of folks who had bad experiences at Best Buy. I certainly felt the presence of the heat inside, and there were cops standing right outside the barracade where the smoking area is to detect the waft of herb.
I can believe RC wouldn't want our lot back. It just doesn't seem the right place for us. Too sophisto.
AcidTestGraduate
Platinum Boarder

#212126 1 year, 9 months ago
bambamcdn wrote:
I say don't play NYC unless its summer outside at Coney, MCU ..but ok ill go with Radio City it is a nice spot ..

Phil and Bob are, and no offense, looking to make money. Not that they're over zealous in their pursuit, but they will not
neglect NYC, and play there several times a year, as it's a cash cow for them. Then there's the rest of the Dead belt nearby, so their trips east are very beneficial to them.
manunyc
Senior Boarder

#212127 1 year, 9 months ago
Radio city is nice but it is a bit on the big side. It feels like a cavern when you are up top. Plus there ushers never let up at the last few shows I was at going as far as to walk the stairs once and a while. It made you feel as though u where always being watched all the time. I love the Beacon. It has the best feel for a theater even if it is cramped at times. Plus having seen a lot of shows there they really seem to be the best at letting us be free without going wild. It has gotten crazy tight out front but still not a quarter what was at radio city overall. After decades of Allman shows I think the Beacon knows how to walk the line.
Counting stars by candlelight, all are dim but one is bright
Last Edit: 1 year, 9 months ago by manunyc.
patchmyfurthur
Platinum Boarder

#212469 1 year, 9 months ago
Best Buy Theatre. Dig it.
DeadlyDan
Junior Boarder
Life's a grave, dig it

#212482 1 year, 9 months ago
Beacon is cool, security is not. I brought some ballons in 'cause our seats were on the balcony and whenever that happens we like to have balloon races. By that I just mean knocking 2 down onto the main floor and seeing whose gets furthur faster. We had to stop though when we saw security hasseling the people who were bouncing the balloons along. They even had a balloon jail behind a piller where they kept balloons after taking them. We also saw numerous people get in trouble for dancing, even in their seats. Smoke was possible, but not casual. Had to keep that head on a swivel 'cause they were all over that. Not to mention all the access/scalping issues. Gorgeous venue but it was WAY to much of a hassel.
Sometimes the songs that Weir
are just songs of our own
Time to create page: 0.73 seconds