• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

Re: Furthur Spring 2013 Beacon vs. Radio City??

#133761 2 years, 4 months ago
Little Bear wrote:
Given a choice Between the Two, I would Choose RCMH any day.

Me too. Some reasons: It is easier to get into with larger entrances. Likewise, they have a lot more toilets than the Beacon: Taking a leak at RCMH is much, much easier. The aisles, stairways, lobby, etc. are all much, much larger. Far more bars/kiosks. The obviously larger capacity making it theoretically easier to get in rather than the Beacon ticket hassles.

Is The Beacon more fan friendly? I don't know. I've been to both and have not noticed a difference.

Does RCMH not want them back? I have no idea about that.

Does NYC suck these days for no smoking? It sure does. Big Time! Thank Mayor Nanny-State Bloomberg. BTW, I live in NYC and do not smoke anymore but it's ok by me for to party @ Futhur shows.

I would guess that Furthur may not be drawing enough for an eight show run at RCMH. Maybe RCMH costs more in other ways too. Who knows for sure? It's funny that they can almost sell out two MSG shows in the fall but RCMH in the spring might be questionable. That is a curious phenomenon.

Bottom line: The Scalpers really cast a dark cloud over Beacon tickets.

Perhaps we need a professional advice page on internet ticket buying and competing with scalpers. For example it might be that the best thing to do is have enough cash to both Mail Order and buy on the internet. When buying on the internet perhaps you should go to a KInkos and rent a computer, or find the fastest internet connection in your area and draft several friends or family members to log on somewhere with your account and try to buy tickets simultaneously.

See for me trying to buy tickets for the Beacon the problem was buying for one show and then the next is so time consuming that the tickets are gone to quickly. You need help. Best to work from both directions: You start with show one and a friend works backwards from the last show.

If I think about this anymore my head may explode! LOL!!
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#133858 2 years, 4 months ago
I'm guessing an 8 show run is easier to book at Beacon than RCMH.

Wish they did it like last year 4 at RCMH and 4 at the Tower
Slewfoot
Junior Boarder

#133861 2 years, 4 months ago
You're all kidding yourselves if you think it's only the scalpers creating the high prices. Yes, they are the majority, but there are hundreds of tickets on Stubhub from people going to the shows. I won't call them scalpers (or even deadheads), but there are (were) many tickets straight from people who mail ordered. I know someone who paid an exorbitant amount for one night at the Beacon, when the tix arrived, they turned out to be from GDTS, which are marked as such right on the ticket! Stubhub makes it too easy for people to list their spares and recoup significant profit. I've also talked to people who wanted to upgrade their seat locations, so they listed they're Upper or Lower Balcs for crazy prices, which they got, then upgraded. Scalpers are bad, Stubhub is simply evil because it has the ability to turn the average Joe into a scalper with only a few minutes work.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by Slewfoot.
deadegad
Platinum Boarder

#133867 2 years, 4 months ago
Slewfoot wrote:
You're all kidding yourselves if you think it's only the scalpers creating the high prices. Yes, they are the majority, but there are hundreds of tickets on Stubhub from people going to the shows. I won't call them scalpers (or even deadheads), but there are (were) many tickets straight from people who mail ordered. I know someone who paid an exorbitant amount for one night at the Beacon, when the tix arrived, they turned out to be from GDTS, which are marked as such right on the ticket! Stubhub makes it too easy for people to list their spares and recoup significant profit. I've also talked to people who wanted to upgrade their seat locations, so they listed they're Upper or Lower Balcs for crazy prices, which they got, then upgraded. Scalpers are bad, Stubhub is simply evil because it has the ability to turn the average Joe into a scalper with only a few minutes work.

I find that absolutely depressing.

You have a point though. The 4 RCMH/ 4 Tower is a possibility. That there are only a few Boston and Ct shows prior rather than an actual tour which drives up prices too.

If they want an NYC Spring Residency than it would be great if they could get RCMH if it does not adversely affect their bottom line.

Let's pray that they wisely withheld tickets for 'day of' 'ticket drops' because that would get real fans in and undercut the sleazy scalper mark up. That scenario could pull the rug out from the remaining scalpers including DeadHead-Stubhub scalpers.

RCMH is better in many ways than the Beacon too.
Last Edit: 2 years, 4 months ago by deadegad.
theothrone
Senior Boarder
-

#133923 2 years, 4 months ago
@slewfoot i deff agree, i was forced to buy a few of my beacons of stubhub just because it was the only time i had the spare money and wanted the safety net of knowing i had good seats, was pretty bummed when one of my highest prices stubhubs was a gdts. I wouldn't mind throwing someone with a ticket i need a few extra bucks as a thanks, but a few extra hundred in some people's cases for beacon is just way too much.
it's an obsession but it's pleasing
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#133947 2 years, 4 months ago
kevin wrote:
edheadwharfrat wrote:
Do you really think Furthur bases its touring decisions on what fans urge them to do on this forum? Just sayin'

yes I do, absolutely,

that was dry humor, cmon, were deadheads, we would go ANYWHERE they decide to play, right?
-- smell every flower --
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#133949 2 years, 4 months ago
I've even been known to go to shows in New Jersey.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: dogman
kevin
Platinum Boarder

#133973 2 years, 4 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
I've even been known to go to shows in New Jersey.

yeah, a guy named adam katz used to go to shows in New jersey, look what happened to him
-- smell every flower --
Little Bear
Gold Boarder
...they probably take care of themselves

#134025 2 years, 4 months ago
Thats a little heavy, my friend
~God bless the Hampton Inn~ ~And You~
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#134090 2 years, 4 months ago
RCMH = same owners as MSG. They allow anyone who pays to play there. There are some rap shows at MSG that almost always are so vioent the security guard I know will not enforce anything for fear of personal bodily harm. So they are clearly whores for the all mighty dollar.

I personally found Best Buy to be an even more enjoyable venue for dancing and grooving. It's also small and security SUCKED big time last spring. But for dancing, wow, a real nice open gymnasium floor. Putting aside security, it's my favorite NYC venue to see them. Warm and cozy.

But it felt even smaller than the Beacon.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Time to create page: 2.17 seconds