• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

Re: Who has the better voice? Jerry, Bob, Pigpen?

#15599 3 years ago
bokb wrote:
For Jerry, it would depend on the era. Sometime in the eighties he took on what I consider that "comforting grandfatherly" tone, but earlier he could wail.

I never thought of Bobby as a singer so much as a shouter, dig. Exceptions abound, however; LLR, Sailor, and of course WRS. Funny thing I noticed a while back, my personal "imitation" of Bobby requires a little Elvis!

Now a good pondering might be comparing Pig and Brent, yeah? Such soul those two! And, to blaspheme slightly, I thought that Warren was channelling both of 'em.

Lots of people like Pig pen and i love his stuff and his time with the boys. but I think brent was a way better fit with the boys. well I think of all my favorite shows and they are in the brent era
sjfgreenman
Expert Boarder

#15606 3 years ago
I agree, Jerry voice had different periods...high and sweet in the 60's and 70's and then taking on that grainy quality increasingly and he started that growling thing, like the headlight on the train line.

His rhythm and blues nuances were awesome, like how he would over pronounce the "t" at the end of a "tonight".

Bobby sings more from the gut which is more correct, technically and gives him that deep voice.

Pig had the blues down, I wish I could have seen him live for just one Lovelight or Good Lovin...not to mention Easy Wind.

Love them all.

We were walking out of the Kaiser after a show in the 80's and this lady next to us said to the guy she was with "wow, you were right, they rocked, much better than I thought!! One thing, they need to lose the guy with the beard and glasses, his nasal voice sounds terrible."
"if you don't like the news go out and make some of your own"
Last Edit: 3 years ago by sjfgreenman.
CinnamonGirl53
Junior Boarder

#15729 3 years ago
I will always love Garcia's voice. I recall an interview with Robert Hunter and he said he just loved that high pitched cracked tone that Jerry made. You could tell the absolute unconditional love Hunter had for Garcia. Wish I could remember where I saw it but Hunter was extremely emotional.
*pict groover*
JStraw
Junior Boarder

#15739 3 years ago
Yeah, I'm going with Jerry too. It's hard to beat that sweet soulfulness.
Those who hear not the music. . . think the dancers mad.
bdog
Junior Boarder

#15742 3 years ago
actually Brent had a better voice than all 3 of them
www.kimocklist.net DJA 3/21/42-3/19/11
The following user(s) said Thank You: sandee823
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#16654 3 years ago
hearing brent sing Tons of Steel makes my ears bleed
sandee823
Junior Boarder
Ohh mama, aint it good to be alive

#17000 2 years, 12 months ago
Definitely depends on the song. First i would say Jerry- like Jstraw said, you cant beat that sweet soulfulness.
However, at this stage of my "intro" to the Dead, Brents voice just sends chills up and down my spine. ~~~~~~
I remember the first time i heard him. I was listeining to Just a Little Light on Dozin' at the Knick and had to call a friend and ask, who is that?!?!?!?!
This family has opened my eyes to so much in the world. For that, I am and will remain forever grateful.
My freedoms in the fire, i want to take me higher....free my soul
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#18448 2 years, 12 months ago
i didn't realize brent had such a fan base...
boxorain
Fresh Boarder

#18453 2 years, 12 months ago
W i n o wrote:
I like them all and would have to say....Who is your favorite child ?

I seem to remember Phil answering the question, "What is your favorite song?" by saying, "That's like asking which of your children is your favorite." years ago in an interview.
cosmicnorm
Fresh Boarder

#18581 2 years, 12 months ago
Jerry = black velvet
Bobby = blue lightning
Pigpen = a perfect blend of both
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#22501 2 years, 11 months ago
I would like to hear John K sing just about ever song. Don't smite me for this..I love ALL the voices that have come and gone through out the GD... whats your favorite child is about right on this topic
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
intothesun
Visitor

#22549 2 years, 11 months ago
Bobby's pitch is the best, so I'd say Bob
Time to create page: 2.16 seconds