• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Owsley Stanley Foundation

#133006 2 years, 7 months ago
Dire Wolf posted the Owsley Foundatiion link on the Sweetwater Owsley thread, but I think many folks missed it.

The first Bears Sonic Journals recording ... Big Brother at the Carousel 6.23.68 .... is being released via a foundation started after his death.

www.owsleystanleyfoundation.org/

The Owsley Stanley Foundation was incorporated on August 25, 2011 as a California non-profit corporation dedicated to fostering diverse charitable, artistic, musical, and scientific endeavors for the public benefit. The Foundation’s primary purpose is to arrange for the preservation and eventual production and public distribution of Owsley Stanley’s “Sonic Journals,” a unique (and rapidly deteriorating) archive of more than 1,300 live concert soundboard recordings from the 1960s and 1970s, including rare recordings of performances by such prominent artists as Miles Davis, Johnny Cash, The Grateful Dead, Jefferson Airplane, Quicksilver Messenger Service, Santana, Taj Mahal, Fleetwood Mac, The Allman Brothers, Steve Miller, Ramblin’ Jack Elliot, Thelonious Monk, Dr. John, Dan Hicks, Chuck Berry, Country Joe and the Fish, Janis Joplin, Big Brother and the Holding Company, Electric Flag, Blue Cheer, The Youngbloods, David Grisman, Old and in the Way, and others.

I'll put my trained skepticism aside and believe that this is all about the music and not cashing in on Owsley's tapes. But frankly I don't care either way.

To learn more go to this excellent site which has links about Bears taping history with the dead and beyond.

Cut and paste no need for http:// or www.

deadessays.blogspot.com/feeds/posts/default?orderby=updated

deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/07/bear-at-board.html
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, scar1et_f1re, SunshineSue
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

Re: Owsley Stanley Foundation

#133035 2 years, 7 months ago
Who cares if someone's cashing in? It's time to get those tapes out there.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#133107 2 years, 7 months ago
^^^^^^^

I just wonder about the implications of the ownership of those shows and how that may complicate their release.

For example, the Grateful Dead Inc. wouldn't permit me to commercially release my "pristine collection" of their tapes, so why should we expect these bands to allow Owsley's estate to reap any benefit of his recording their concerts? Wolfgang's Vault might also have a thing or two to say. Non-profit doesn't mean someone isn't looking to profit.

But we are in agreement Equinox, the important thing is getting these recordings out there.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#133154 2 years, 7 months ago
Bear is a member of the Grateful Dead, most fans are not therefore yeah the GD inc. probably won't let you make money. He recorded all these shows himself and was one of the pioneers of recording and live sound....he provided people with the cleanest fun he could and apparently was a monster for quality across all spectrums...he earned the right to make some cash off his hardwork, dedication, and sacrifice and so does his family. If this is a corporation doing all this then yeah that sucks but it seems more grassroots and for someone who lived an outlaw life and probably didn't plan for a strong financial retirement and a such quick death, a little debt needs to be paid...by all of us. I'm just glad the music is going to be available too! If it's his family doing this I don't think anybody can say much of anything!!
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#133158 2 years, 7 months ago
But when he was alive he did not want to make a lot of money off the great things he did and the money he made he stuck into helping out struggling bands.

Also people seem to be confused about this being his first sonic recording release. It isn't. It is the first time he did a sonic recording, there have been many releases of Bear's sonic recordings including many of the Dick's Picks.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#133171 2 years, 7 months ago
B-Rad wrote:
But when he was alive he did not want to make a lot of money off the great things he did and the money he made he stuck into helping out struggling bands.

Also people seem to be confused about this being his first sonic recording release. It isn't. It is the first time he did a sonic recording, there have been many releases of Bear's sonic recordings including many of the Dick's Picks.

But he's not alive and therefore can not produce any more money regardless if he gave it away prior to his death, therefore money must be raised by those who want to hear the music in order to preserve his auditory legacy and these snapshots of history. Not sure why you think people are confused...I would like to think that Bear's role in recording and the previous releases recorded by Bear are common knowledge to deadheads as this information is well known and frequently publicized. The reason why this the "first" is because it is the "first" in this set of releases and an attempt to get people aware, interested and donating money so they can be preserved, i think most understand this (you have to start somewhere!). It says its gonna take b/w $200,000 -300,000 plus some years of work so how else can they raise the necessary money except by starting a non-profit and then accepting donations. If we want the music we need to help buy the resources to preserve!!
Wiggsdannyboy
Junior Boarder

#133205 2 years, 7 months ago
I agree that Bear didn't want to make money off all his hard work and great contributions during his life and tend to think that he wouldn't want his offspring cursed with money they didn't earn themselves. there's no way any of us can know what he would've wanted for his family but i personally believe he'd think we're all missing the point- you should forget what money is when you're listening to good music and the more people that can get to that state the better, regardless of how the music got to them.
"Euphoria is having no idea who you are and not caring, ectasy is knowing exactly who you are... and still not caring." -Tom Robbins

"Don't hide my liquor, try to serve me tea"
Uncle Ron
The following user(s) said Thank You: iamthedoor
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#133230 2 years, 7 months ago
But without the money they can't transfer the reels to digital format. That stuff doesn't happen by magic the resources to do so cost money. The money is for preservation of his music. How else would they preserve it the tooth fairy? Did anybody actually read all the information about why they are asking for money? Offspring cursed with money?....plus how would I listen to this great music if I don't give them money for the transfer...meaning how could I listen to the good music in order to forget about money if the good music never got transfered because no one would give them money? You sir have created a catch22 situation....there is no "regardless of how the music got to them" because without the transfers the music won't get to them. The irony of your guys idealism is cute but how do you guys propose transferring and preserving this music for at no cost? Can you do it for free or.do you just want it for free?
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder

#133233 2 years, 7 months ago
If you think money is a curse i will provide my adddress to you and you can curse me all you want. everything that is good music is done solely artistically go ask Jerry why he owed a red BMW and played jgb shows to support his captain ron habit. Its shades of grey not black and white.
Time to create page: 0.25 seconds