Listen To The Flower People

Re: Sit in with this summer tour

#13384 3 years, 3 months ago
Timmy Hoover wrote:
FaceOnMars wrote:
Timmy Hoover wrote:
FaceOnMars wrote:
Brooklyn Jimmy wrote:
Kenny's a great player, but when he sat in at Coney it just didn't work.

Larry Campbell can show up anytime. Anywhere he wants.

haven't heard the coney island show .... so can't comment other than to say one show does not always tell the story. I've seen him enough to know what he's got & can deliver in ways which a string player can not. I used to not like horns AT ALL before KB!

I like Larry too, and he brings a lot to the table, but I think one of the reasons he could show up anytime is that he's more of a "safer bet" in both style and mode. Horns aren't always the easiest to add to what is basically a string driven ensemble.

Huh? how are horns hard to add to a band? "Kenny, stand over there and squawk into your sax."

Seems pretty easy to me.

Anybody that sits in with them is going to be able to speak music and play along. They aren't gonna ask a high school marching band horn section to sit in and read music.

I would say the same thing if it were BM. You missed my point: I hardly said it can't be done, I just think it's much easier to integrate another stringed instrument vs. a horn and have everything "click" to the point of elevating the music vs. having it just working out. This is especially true if it's just one or two songs. In the context of a full RD show, KB would have a chance to "stretch out" and play various roles ... which often included rhythmic support in addition to straight out melodic interpretations.

I think when you get to many guitarists up there it tends to drag the music down, not elevate it.

I agree, but I don't think it's over the top for a 3rd guitarist ... especially with Bobby's style being unique as it is on rhythm. He's got big ears & tends to dart in and out as if he were playing lead on rhythm (or at least blurring the lines). But yea, add a fourth & I think the line gets crossed.

Or, as someone mentioned above (and I alluded to with Sless): pedal steel, mando, or fiddle would immediately add a new/different layer of texture ... yet would be in the same family & would harmonically be absorbed readily.

Having said that, I'd LOVE to see a permanent sax / horn with further which worked out ... I happen to like KB, but anyone who can go with the flow would work for me. I just think the sit in can be hit or miss with a horn.
Brooklyn Jimmy
Junior Boarder

#13429 3 years, 3 months ago
FaceOnMars wrote:
Timmy Hoover wrote:
FaceOnMars wrote:
Timmy Hoover wrote:
FaceOnMars wrote:
Brooklyn Jimmy wrote:
Kenny's a great player, but when he sat in at Coney it just didn't work.

Larry Campbell can show up anytime. Anywhere he wants.

haven't heard the coney island show .... so can't comment other than to say one show does not always tell the story. I've seen him enough to know what he's got & can deliver in ways which a string player can not. I used to not like horns AT ALL before KB!

I like Larry too, and he brings a lot to the table, but I think one of the reasons he could show up anytime is that he's more of a "safer bet" in both style and mode. Horns aren't always the easiest to add to what is basically a string driven ensemble.

Huh? how are horns hard to add to a band? "Kenny, stand over there and squawk into your sax."

Seems pretty easy to me.

Anybody that sits in with them is going to be able to speak music and play along. They aren't gonna ask a high school marching band horn section to sit in and read music.

I would say the same thing if it were BM. You missed my point: I hardly said it can't be done, I just think it's much easier to integrate another stringed instrument vs. a horn and have everything "click" to the point of elevating the music vs. having it just working out. This is especially true if it's just one or two songs. In the context of a full RD show, KB would have a chance to "stretch out" and play various roles ... which often included rhythmic support in addition to straight out melodic interpretations.

I think when you get to many guitarists up there it tends to drag the music down, not elevate it.

I agree, but I don't think it's over the top for a 3rd guitarist ... especially with Bobby's style being unique as it is on rhythm. He's got big ears & tends to dart in and out as if he were playing lead on rhythm (or at least blurring the lines). But yea, add a fourth & I think the line gets crossed.

Or, as someone mentioned above (and I alluded to with Sless): pedal steel, mando, or fiddle would immediately add a new/different layer of texture ... yet would be in the same family & would harmonically be absorbed readily.

Having said that, I'd LOVE to see a permanent sax / horn with further which worked out ... I happen to like KB, but anyone who can go with the flow would work for me. I just think the sit in can be hit or miss with a horn.

This thread needed another wall of text quote.
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
we gonna stay here til we soothe our souls

#13473 3 years, 3 months ago
ornette coleman
david nelson
larry campbell
barry sless
mark karan
Gr8fldad
Fresh Boarder