• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
deadheadnj
Junior Boarder

Sit in with this summer tour

#13213 3 years, 6 months ago
Who would you like to see sit in with the band this summer?
What would be the answer to answer man
Timmy Hoover
Junior Boarder

Re: Sit in with this summer tour

#13268 3 years, 6 months ago
deadheadnj wrote:
Who would you like to see sit in with the band this summer?

A single sit in would be great
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder
Listen To The Flower People

#13282 3 years, 6 months ago
Brooks great or Sless filling
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder

#13284 3 years, 6 months ago
shoreline: Peter Rowan!

He's actually playing in Felton that Sunday ... so it's a good bet he'll be around!
Brooklyn Jimmy
Junior Boarder

#13285 3 years, 6 months ago
Kenny's a great player, but when he sat in at Coney it just didn't work.

Larry Campbell can show up anytime. Anywhere he wants.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#13288 3 years, 6 months ago
somebody that can play a pedal steel guitar for a few songs or/and some mandolin players,blugrass pickers
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder

#13290 3 years, 6 months ago
Brooklyn Jimmy wrote:

haven't heard the coney island show .... so can't comment other than to say one show does not always tell the story. I've seen him enough to know what he's got & can deliver in ways which a string player can not. I used to not like horns AT ALL before KB!

I like Larry too, and he brings a lot to the table, but I think one of the reasons he could show up anytime is that he's more of a "safer bet" in both style and mode. Horns aren't always the easiest to add to what is basically a string driven ensemble.
Timmy Hoover
Junior Boarder

#13293 3 years, 6 months ago
FaceOnMars wrote:
Brooklyn Jimmy wrote:

haven't heard the coney island show .... so can't comment other than to say one show does not always tell the story. I've seen him enough to know what he's got & can deliver in ways which a string player can not. I used to not like horns AT ALL before KB!

I like Larry too, and he brings a lot to the table, but I think one of the reasons he could show up anytime is that he's more of a "safer bet" in both style and mode. Horns aren't always the easiest to add to what is basically a string driven ensemble.

Huh? how are horns hard to add to a band? "Kenny, stand over there and squawk into your sax."

Seems pretty easy to me.

Anybody that sits in with them is going to be able to speak music and play along. They aren't gonna ask a high school marching band horn section to sit in and read music.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#13295 3 years, 6 months ago
Timmy Hoover wrote:
FaceOnMars wrote:
Brooklyn Jimmy wrote:

Huh? how are horns hard to add to a band? "Kenny, stand over there and squawk into your sax."

Seems pretty easy to me.

Anybody that sits in with them is going to be able to speak music and play along. They aren't gonna ask a high school marching band horn section to sit in and read music.
fleetwood mac TUSK
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by 83msg1sttyme.
FaceOnMars
Junior Boarder

#13305 3 years, 6 months ago
Timmy Hoover wrote:
FaceOnMars wrote:
Brooklyn Jimmy wrote:

Seems pretty easy to me.

I would say the same thing if it were BM. You missed my point: I hardly said it can't be done, I just think it's much easier to integrate another stringed instrument vs. a horn and have everything "click" to the point of elevating the music vs. having it just working out. This is especially true if it's just one or two songs. In the context of a full RD show, KB would have a chance to "stretch out" and play various roles ... which often included rhythmic support in addition to straight out melodic interpretations.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds