• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover band?

#13373 3 years, 6 months ago
Nateva is fucking killer man. Your obviously off your rocker man. I just got done listening to Jack straw. Maybe since you where tired from playing and back stage instead of with the crowd.

Now Maybe since Furthur doesnt sound exactly like the Grateful dead. Its because Furthur is its own band thats made up of Bobby PHil of the Original GD. Furthur has written and come out with there own new songs so if they are making new material than how are you clowns considering them a cover band. Anyone saying that Bobby and PHil have been in cover bands since Jerry died is weird

Id like to hear Phils response to you guys saying they are a cover band.
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by Smiley from Texas.
gofurthur
Fresh Boarder

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover b

#13396 3 years, 6 months ago
This is insane...First off shakin nagin...why would you join and post here 140ish times if u don't like furthur.
Second DSO is made up of some of the most deadicated heads on this planet. They have given their life to the music. They tour almost constantly. They Provide a potent experience to the world that has turned on countless heads. Off the stage you can thank Rob eaton for many of the finest recordings of the Grateful dead. If you listen to live GD you must acknowledge his work on getting you the recordings. As far as dso verse Furthur....its apples and oranges. They don't sound the same. Im thankful for any GD music. "Keep it on, keep it on, Keep on keepin on"
The following user(s) said Thank You: amazish
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13404 3 years, 6 months ago
>>Sorry all credibility shot. You are a BONGO player??? Shit you shoulda heard me outside the spectrum or Landover in the late 80's. A killer pocket. People come up to bongo players and say you were AWESOME after a pfunk show? LOL ..carry on.. and your opinion on Furthur is judged by one set..... ?????????

While I do play Bongos, Congas and other hand drums I mostly play shakers (hence the name Shakin' Nagan)as a percussionist (I also play guitar). People come up to me all the time after P-Funk shows and tell me how much I have moved them. One of the best moments was two years ago in Holland. After the show this woman came up to me and told me, "You touched my heart." THAT is what it is all about.
amazish
Junior Boarder

#13405 3 years, 6 months ago
To each his own man, all's cool. You like pocket very much [me too!]. The Dead were so much more than pocket. Rock on
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13407 3 years, 6 months ago
>>Would P-Funk be considered a cover, a spin off, or a tribute band?

No, there are many members of P-Funk that have been there for 30 years or more. Billy, Lige, Boog,
amazish
Junior Boarder

#13408 3 years, 6 months ago
Sorry, but to say Phil has no pocket is like saying Thelonious Monk has no time. You have some catching up to do :] With respect.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#13409 3 years, 6 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
>>Would P-Funk be considered a cover, a spin off, or a tribute band?

No, there are many members of P-Funk that have been there for 30 years or more. Billy, Lige, Boog,
like phil and bobby?
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
amazish
Junior Boarder

#13413 3 years, 6 months ago
[ Oh, and I played with Phil on stage ( ! ! ! ) I had the honor of experiencing his sound and pocket first hand. Lucky me ]]
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by amazish.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13416 3 years, 6 months ago
Yes, but the leader, George is still there and MOST of the band has been there a long long time. Longer than most bands have been around. Nothing wrong with cover bands (I actually prefer tribute band but the character limit in the thread titles prohibited its use).

I also play with the 420 Funk Mob who mostly does P-Funk tunes. It has several P-Funk members in it and G regularly appears as a special guest. It is still a P-Funk cover band.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13417 3 years, 6 months ago
>>Sorry, but to say Phil has no pocket is like saying Thelonious Monk has no time. You have some catching up to do :] With respect.

I love the way Phil plays bass, very original. But he doesn't create a pocket, he plays around the pocket.
amazish
Junior Boarder

#13419 3 years, 6 months ago
...It's all just semantics or saying the same thing differently. That's actually true what you wrote and is a compliment to the guy. I think playing bass for a whole song or jam without a bassline and being ever so interesting and linear is totally unique and one of a kind. That's the essence of Phil and the Dead to some extent. Jazz on ;]
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13420 3 years, 6 months ago
Never intended to give the impression that I don't love Phil's playing. If I didn't i would have gone to all those Phil & Friends shows. Thing is Molo is a monster so he created this huge pocket for Phil to play in and around. i don't hear that with Furthur.

Maybe they need a shaker player.
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds