• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover band?

#13286 2 years, 12 months ago
>>Just screams a bunch of crappy, local musicians not good enough to write their own music so they play someone elses

I haven't written a song since Nixon was President. What composing I do with my band Who Knows? is done right ion stage in the moment. When we go into a song it is always someone elses but I don't consider us a cover or tribute band because of how we do the songs.

If you'd like to hear it send me your email and I will send you the wave files.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13287 2 years, 12 months ago
>>Shit, they had a fire and the stage/VIP trailer burned down.... thats so not cool...

County closed them down long before the fire. Kind of a shady operation if you ask me.
Walk in the Sunshine
Platinum Boarder

#13311 2 years, 12 months ago
When people come up to me and tell me how well I play I tell them that I suck, can't play for shit. The spirit can play like a motherfucker and, when I get out of its way and allow it to play through me it's awesome. When I start to think about what I am going to play, I can't do it and have to stop.

I have been hearing the pocket all my life but never really knew what it was until i started playing percussion with P-Funk. They are masters of the pocket and taught me to stay in it.

Sorry all credibility shot. You are a BONGO player??? Shit you shoulda heard me outside the spectrum or Landover in the late 80's. A killer pocket. People come up to bongo players and say you were AWESOME after a pfunk show? LOL ..carry on.. and your opinion on Furthur is judged by one set..... ?????????
Frenchy13
Fresh Boarder

#13313 2 years, 12 months ago
Shakin, I respect your opinions, but I just don't see the DSO thing. First off, Johnny K is in Furthur now and not in DSO......and lets face it, he was the heart and soul of DSO. I have seen them with and recently in Eugene without John. Boring......No soul....looked like they were there for a paycheck. And I will admit, I just don't like Rob Eaton. Met him several times, seen him play in both DSO and American Beauty. Saw them leave the stage in Denver with an hour left of playing time at the bar because there weren't enough people there. About a month later, I watched him coast through an opening set with little interest, and then troll the bar for chicks too young to know what GD is really about. I am old enough to have seen the Grateful Dead before Jerry passed on, and I can say from a fan standpoint, that no spinoff or cover band, whatever you want to call it, had moved me since Jerry left us. I saw the rythm devils, the other ones, phil and friends, dso, uncle johns band, hairball willey (props John saw you at Ottos in DeKalb IL), Mr. Blotto and the list goes on. I love Grateful Dead music, but nothing moved me like the Broomfield shows in CO last March when Furthur was rocking two drummers. Needless to say, I am back on the bus. Never had that feeling after a DSO show. Was always happy, but never moved.

Love and Light
The following user(s) said Thank You: amazish
ColoradoRain
Junior Boarder

#13316 2 years, 12 months ago
Just saw DSO the 2 nights they did in Boulder. They are a good cover band, but lack the magic of seeing Furthur, who is not a cover band.

I walked out the first night, because the show was boring, and meeting some friends at the bars was honestly a more exciting prospect.

DSO is NOWHERE NEAR as good as Furthur, the guy on bass was really struggling to come close to Phil's sound. The fact that they try to act and look like the dead (fake Bobby in particular) comes off as really really cheesy to me. It almost seems like they intentionally flub the lyrics, or make pretend gestures to their sound guy to try to look exactly like the dead. Just be yourselves guys, and the music will be more true.

Furthur >>>>>> DSO, and always will be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amazish
Frenchy13
Fresh Boarder

#13320 2 years, 12 months ago
yeah I was hanging with some friends at a restaurant before the DSO show in Eugene. Cut dinner short to get to the show. Wished I would have stayed at dinner. Conversation was much more stimulating than DSO's first set. and yeah....Rob Eaton is a cheesy poser. I understand wanting to play like Bobby, but wanting to be Bobby, that's just weird.
skifurthur
Junior Boarder
Capturing the passion of performance

#13324 2 years, 12 months ago
Richie ~ I don't consider Furthur a cover band either.
Both Phil and Bob had a full hand in creating how we hear those songs on stage. With the GD catalog, they aren't covering. With other artists songs, they do some covers. They have also incorporated some new material and I wouldn't be surprised if there is more new material in the wings.

By your definition, the P-Funk All Stars are a cover band...which they aren't.
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#13329 2 years, 12 months ago
I do not consider Furthur a cover band. I consider it a contuation of "searching for the sound", as Phil put it.

Would P-Funk be considered a cover, a spin off, or a tribute band?
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#13331 2 years, 12 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
I prefer DSO hands down. I have seen them play several times and they always delivered the goods. The music came through them and moved me. From what I've heard of Furthur, their Nateva sets and some recordings, I wasn't moved. No knock on the musicians, they are all great, I just didn't feel the spirit in the music.

youre not a fan of Furthur, but go thriough the trouble of joining their message board?
(SERIOUSLY?)>THAT'S INSANE!
(“I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.” )
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#13334 2 years, 12 months ago
How about The Dead in 2009 with Warren.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#13345 2 years, 12 months ago
I've never seen DSO. I wouldn't ever go because I thought they were a 'cover' band.

I kind of wish I had seen DSO now, given how talented I think JK is. The fact that I allowed my own label to keep me from seeing something I probably would have really enjoyed makes me think twice about labeling any other band.

I happened to see Furthur by default, having kind of given up on ever experiencing the magic of The GD again.

I am SOOOO glad that I did!!!

I don't care what anyone wants to call them, I just hope they keep playing more shows.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
pyramidheat11
Fresh Boarder

#13356 2 years, 12 months ago
i was at that nateva show last year and that was the worst Furthur show i've seen....it was pretty damn boring except for the eyes and gdtrfb.

but, the next week i saw them in philly and the 2nd night was pretty damn good.

they're just a really inconsistent, manufactured band that tries to appeal to the masses more than any other post gd band.

oh, and jeff mattson is really good; just go back to '99 when he was in PLF dueling with Kimock...plenty of soul.
Time to create page: 0.58 seconds