• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
spring mountain high
Senior Boarder

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover band?

#13227 3 years ago
kind of a silly question, imo, since i dont think that any band that has original members in it can be considered a cover band...$.02
The following user(s) said Thank You: amazish
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13228 3 years ago
Oh, okay... So you're referring to the bass and the drum working together to get the 'flow' of the music going. Cool. I'll be paying attention to the recordsing the spring tour I got. I'll be on the look out for any pockets....

See, I'm not a musician, and don;'t pretend to be. I can't 'hear' this stuff, which is why I think I'm able to enjoy Furthur more than some because I'm not searching for some technial brillance or anything. I dunno.... I just know at the locaal theCAUSE shows, the lead guitarist (Pappy) always complains about his guitiar for this or that reason. No matter what his complaint is, I still think its sound fucking killer and am convinced its all in his head....
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13230 3 years ago
That's cool, man. The pocket and the groove, which the pocket is part of, are not a technical thing. It is the spirit coming through in the music. See, music isn't played by musicians. Musicians allow the music, which is already there, to play through them.

When people come up to me and tell me how well I play I tell them that I suck, can't play for shit. The spirit can play like a motherfucker and, when I get out of its way and allow it to play through me it's awesome. When I start to think about what I am going to play, I can't do it and have to stop.

I have been hearing the pocket all my life but never really knew what it was until i started playing percussion with P-Funk. They are masters of the pocket and taught me to stay in it.

Where are the Cause from? I'd like to hear them.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13232 3 years ago
www.thecausejams.com/

Pittsburgh based jam band that plays primarly Dead tunes, but mixes in Phish, Beatles, and buncha killer blues. They got a bunch of live shows up on archive.org, and they got a nice miniplayer on their site. They onyl DRAG to me is the one guitar player... hes a beast, dont get me wrong. But i think every band needs a lead and a rhythm to really get it kicking. But still, tehy jsut tear it up, and as you say, really channel the music right.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13237 3 years ago
JGB only had one guitar player. But you are right, it is better with two. Shit, P-Funk has 4 or 5, I lost count.

Western PA my favorite place. Went to play a festival two summers ago at the Universal Church in Acme and got arrested when the cops raided the place. Missed the gig and spent 24 hours in custody and then got railroaded by their system of justice. I will definitely check them out later today.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13245 3 years ago
You were at my church!!! Thats insane!!! I stopped attending because with my profession, I cannot encounter any BS like that. That was a sad, sad day when they raided the Church!!! Stupid locals causing problems!!! Hope their wasnt any long term issues!

Make sure when you do, if you look what you hear, check out the Future Pauses part of the site! Wlll list all their shows for the next few months case you happen to be in the area anytime soon!
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13254 3 years ago
and so we ALL know what Shakin saw live... heres the link....

www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-07-04.akg481

I'm only at Missippie Half Step, and I think the shows on fire already!!! But I never saw Jerry, so what the fuck do I know, right?
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13260 3 years ago
No lasting implications from the bust. Just cost me several thousands and it eats at me that I had to take the plea deal of 30 days unsupervised probation and fines and costs or sit in the courtroom for a week hoping my case was reached and when it wasn't do it again the next month. I have a business to run and couldn't afford to do that. Also not supposed to drive in PA until August.

If I could have fought it I would have won at trial or on appeal (search warrant was unconstitutional). I could still sue them but I think I'd rather put the negative energy behind me and move on.

Oh, for the record, Assistant DA Mark Brooks is a liar and a thief. Stole $627 from me. Karma will get him.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Frenchy13
Timmy Hoover
Junior Boarder

#13266 3 years ago
spring mountain high wrote:
kind of a silly question, imo, since i dont think that any band that has original members in it can be considered a cover band...$.02

not really. They've all been in Grateful Dead cover bands since they retired the name The Grateful Dead.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13272 3 years ago
Still call them 'spinoffs' rather than 'cover' bands. I think its just the vibe the word 'cover band' gives. Just screams a bunch of crappy, local musicians not good enough to write their own music so they play someone elses.... Guess thats why they now try to call themselves 'tribute'' bands. I think only legendary cover bands should be called 'tribute' bands, ala DSO.

Furthur, IMO, is a 'spin off' since it has original GD members in it.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13273 3 years ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
No lasting implications from the bust. Just cost me several thousands and it eats at me that I had to take the plea deal of 30 days unsupervised probation and fines and costs or sit in the courtroom for a week hoping my case was reached and when it wasn't do it again the next month. I have a business to run and couldn't afford to do that. Also not supposed to drive in PA until August.

If I could have fought it I would have won at trial or on appeal (search warrant was unconstitutional). I could still sue them but I think I'd rather put the negative energy behind me and move on.

Oh, for the record, Assistant DA Mark Brooks is a liar and a thief. Stole $627 from me. Karma will get him.

And I think thats why they do it. They know a lot of these people arent just bums, and ahve real 'gig's to attend to. So, tehy swoop in, bust everyone, give out abunch of fines and arrest people without just cause knowing the moneys worth if even if only a few people decide not to fight the charges. its such BS. I cant wait til the dude fidns a new farm and a new place to hold his church. havent heard any news lately on it.... i need to seek it out and see if hes found something yet. That place was paradise!
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13280 3 years ago
Shit, they had a fire and the stage/VIP trailer burned down.... thats so not cool...
Time to create page: 0.84 seconds