• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
skifurthur
Junior Boarder
Capturing the passion of performance

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover band?

#13324 3 years, 3 months ago
Richie ~ I don't consider Furthur a cover band either.
Both Phil and Bob had a full hand in creating how we hear those songs on stage. With the GD catalog, they aren't covering. With other artists songs, they do some covers. They have also incorporated some new material and I wouldn't be surprised if there is more new material in the wings.

By your definition, the P-Funk All Stars are a cover band...which they aren't.
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#13329 3 years, 3 months ago
I do not consider Furthur a cover band. I consider it a contuation of "searching for the sound", as Phil put it.

Would P-Funk be considered a cover, a spin off, or a tribute band?
Wheelman
Gold Boarder

#13331 3 years, 3 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
I prefer DSO hands down. I have seen them play several times and they always delivered the goods. The music came through them and moved me. From what I've heard of Furthur, their Nateva sets and some recordings, I wasn't moved. No knock on the musicians, they are all great, I just didn't feel the spirit in the music.

youre not a fan of Furthur, but go thriough the trouble of joining their message board?
(SERIOUSLY?)>THAT'S INSANE!
(“I don’t suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.” )
ICantFindMyFace
Senior Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design.

#13334 3 years, 3 months ago
How about The Dead in 2009 with Warren.
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#13345 3 years, 3 months ago
I've never seen DSO. I wouldn't ever go because I thought they were a 'cover' band.

I kind of wish I had seen DSO now, given how talented I think JK is. The fact that I allowed my own label to keep me from seeing something I probably would have really enjoyed makes me think twice about labeling any other band.

I happened to see Furthur by default, having kind of given up on ever experiencing the magic of The GD again.

I am SOOOO glad that I did!!!

I don't care what anyone wants to call them, I just hope they keep playing more shows.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
pyramidheat11
Fresh Boarder

#13356 3 years, 3 months ago
i was at that nateva show last year and that was the worst Furthur show i've seen....it was pretty damn boring except for the eyes and gdtrfb.

but, the next week i saw them in philly and the 2nd night was pretty damn good.

they're just a really inconsistent, manufactured band that tries to appeal to the masses more than any other post gd band.

oh, and jeff mattson is really good; just go back to '99 when he was in PLF dueling with Kimock...plenty of soul.
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#13373 3 years, 3 months ago
Nateva is fucking killer man. Your obviously off your rocker man. I just got done listening to Jack straw. Maybe since you where tired from playing and back stage instead of with the crowd.

Now Maybe since Furthur doesnt sound exactly like the Grateful dead. Its because Furthur is its own band thats made up of Bobby PHil of the Original GD. Furthur has written and come out with there own new songs so if they are making new material than how are you clowns considering them a cover band. Anyone saying that Bobby and PHil have been in cover bands since Jerry died is weird

Id like to hear Phils response to you guys saying they are a cover band.
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by Smiley from Texas.
gofurthur
Fresh Boarder

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover b

#13396 3 years, 3 months ago
This is insane...First off shakin nagin...why would you join and post here 140ish times if u don't like furthur.
Second DSO is made up of some of the most deadicated heads on this planet. They have given their life to the music. They tour almost constantly. They Provide a potent experience to the world that has turned on countless heads. Off the stage you can thank Rob eaton for many of the finest recordings of the Grateful dead. If you listen to live GD you must acknowledge his work on getting you the recordings. As far as dso verse Furthur....its apples and oranges. They don't sound the same. Im thankful for any GD music. "Keep it on, keep it on, Keep on keepin on"
The following user(s) said Thank You: amazish
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13404 3 years, 3 months ago
>>Sorry all credibility shot. You are a BONGO player??? Shit you shoulda heard me outside the spectrum or Landover in the late 80's. A killer pocket. People come up to bongo players and say you were AWESOME after a pfunk show? LOL ..carry on.. and your opinion on Furthur is judged by one set..... ?????????

While I do play Bongos, Congas and other hand drums I mostly play shakers (hence the name Shakin' Nagan)as a percussionist (I also play guitar). People come up to me all the time after P-Funk shows and tell me how much I have moved them. One of the best moments was two years ago in Holland. After the show this woman came up to me and told me, "You touched my heart." THAT is what it is all about.
amazish
Junior Boarder

#13405 3 years, 3 months ago
To each his own man, all's cool. You like pocket very much [me too!]. The Dead were so much more than pocket. Rock on
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds