• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover band?

#13189 3 years ago
I prefer DSO hands down. I have seen them play several times and they always delivered the goods. The music came through them and moved me. From what I've heard of Furthur, their Nateva sets and some recordings, I wasn't moved. No knock on the musicians, they are all great, I just didn't feel the spirit in the music.
Last Edit: 3 years ago by Shakin Nagan.
amazish
Junior Boarder

Re: DSO or Furthur: Which is the better GD cover band?

#13192 3 years ago
I think Furthur isn't a cover band in the pure sense of it.
And it's all a matter of opinion and taste ! ;]
amazish
Junior Boarder

#13193 3 years ago
Check this out!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#13195 3 years ago
maybe the OP should see Furthur live to get a better opinion.......instead of comparing live DSO to recordings of Furthur, cause you know what they say.......theres nothing like being there!

every recording I've heard is great but still dosn't justify how great it is when your actually 'there'.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13199 3 years ago
I saw them live at Nateva last year (maybe I didn't make it clear in my original post that I was there - we played two slots before them) and quire frankly was bored. Went to sleep in the dressing room during the second set.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#13203 3 years ago
lol whatever your into I guess.

but yea sorry I should of caught on that you were there by reading your post, I still need to get back to bed for a few.....
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13204 3 years ago
That's a nice UJB Amazish but I think DSO does it much better. For one thing, there is no pocket in the Furthur version.
Steve
Junior Boarder

#13205 3 years ago
Lollololollolololololololol

Brilliant. Hard to be a cover band when you have 2 people that helped make the music in the first place. Troll on, young man, troll on........
Thanks Charlie Miller!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: JOE DANGLE
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#13212 3 years ago
First of all, I am far from young (except at heart).

The Grateful Dead were a collaborative effort between 5 and then 6 (when Mickey came on board) musicians who became greater than the sum of their parts. You are missing 2/3 of the parts that made that sum, including what most consider to be the heart and soul of the band, Jerry.

Would you say that the Rhythm Devils are also not a GD cover band? I say they most certainly are. THEY (Rhythm Devils) blew me away when I saw them at BB Kings last summer. To top it off, THEIR music has a huge pocket.
Deadhead4Obama
Junior Boarder

#13214 3 years ago
Question... what they hell do you mean by pocket??? I think of pockets of either being things on shirts, and jeans... or hot pockets are things I eat. Never knew 'pocket's was a reference to music in any way shape or form.

And, now whle I know everyone is entitled to their opinion... I must tell you kind sir, you'r opinion STINKS. I've seen DSO. I've seen P & F, Ratdog and the Dead. None of it compares to Furthur. DSO does a great job. They really can play some smoking sets. BUT, most of their sets are 'recreations' of past Dead shows, so... tehy HAVE to play with that passion, or else it wouldn't work... And, FYI, I've seen DSO do a 'original' set and it sitll smoked. But I'd still pay to see Furthur ANY day.

Now a REAL question is who's better: DSO or theCAUSE? and I'd take theCAUSE hands down. They're just as talented, play with jsut as much piss and vinegar, and stead of 30 bones a show its 5 at a local bar with amazing beer at good prices.
Time to create page: 0.45 seconds