• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

Re: jk's volume

#130413 2 years, 5 months ago
I don't know but if I were JK standing on stage in front of thousands playing lead guitar with my idols Bobby and Phil beside me I'd be scared shitless. I've been to a couple sound checks and have had great seats and for being a relatively small dude, Bobby seems to me to be pretty damn intimidating. He also seems to be hard to please. I'd be a nervous wreck if he were my boss!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#130435 2 years, 5 months ago
It's weird how often people "see" these guys, specifically Phil and Bob, be unsatisfied. I think a lot of it is convoluted. When Phil isn't happy, it isn't subtle. I don't know these guys. I get to see what I see on stage. Maybe they're more subdued than I perceive. There's been a couple of specific times when someone has said "he looked pissed", and I didn't see anything of the sort when watching the exact same moment in time and exchange of glances. I think some people want to believe there is that kind of tension between these players. Don't get me wrong. I think the Grateful Dead were always perfectionists. I think they always had very high expectations of their playing. And they were extremely hard workers on top of it all. I've seen Phil stop playing and just rest his hands on his bass. I've seen Phil rip someone a new one when his stand-up bass wasn't working properly. But I don't think these cats are as hard-nosed as some people want to create them to be. Phil isn't on the ear monitors bitching. He's saying shit like, "you're on a beach. sense the motion of the waves." These guys aren't about feeding each other negative energy. Not that a little negative energy can't be a healthy thing and provide some balance, but as Anton LaVey (of all people) said:

“I want to be a life-loving happy person. I just happen to be living in a death-seeking, misery-loving world.”
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#130462 2 years, 5 months ago
drpsilocybo wrote:
its just an observation. maybe his face gets red because hes really pumped up. I've had some good seats, but you can see that shit form the nosebleeds. Maybe it was just the drugs, but I could swear that during knocking on heaven's door @ wilkes-barre bobby shot john a wtf glance, and john got real red in the face, stayed red through the bow too.

Despite my aggressive tone in the above post, I don't want to pick a fight good Dr.P. But if anybody should have been giving anybody a wtf glance on Knockin it would be Jk to Bw.....definition of shatnerizing in my opinion.

Didn't mar a great show though.....

And it is funny you reference that one because I thought JK played very strong. The whole band did. A Great show. Mr. Phil Mustard, Casey Jones...Bobby doing the 80s estimated and then the eyes...Dear Prudence...a great show.

Exhibit 1

Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#130478 2 years, 5 months ago
drpsilocybo wrote:
its just an observation. maybe his face gets red because hes really pumped up. I've had some good seats, but you can see that shit form the nosebleeds. Maybe it was just the drugs, but I could swear that during knocking on heaven's door @ wilkes-barre bobby shot john a wtf glance, and john got real red in the face, stayed red through the bow too.

Not the definitive resolution...but seems everybody has a tan in the can look

drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#130558 2 years, 5 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:

Despite my aggressive tone in the above post, I don't want to pick a fight good Dr.P. But if anybody should have been giving anybody a wtf glance on Knockin it would be Jk to Bw.....definition of shatnerizing in my opinion.

Didn't mar a great show though.....

And it is funny you reference that one because I thought JK played very strong. The whole band did. A Great show. Mr. Phil Mustard, Casey Jones...Bobby doing the 80s estimated and then the eyes...Dear Prudence...a great show.

I didn't think we were fighting It was a great show, that viola lee blues really went furthur! I agree that Bobby is probably more deserving of stern glances, but with that said he is going to do things his way, and I get the vibe that he can be very particular about what other people in the band are doing. like denver man said he seems hard to please, not that there is anything wrong with being a perfectionist. If I had spent my life playing guitar with Jerry Garcia I would probably have high standards too.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by drpsilocybo.
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#131031 2 years, 5 months ago
Was watching the video of The Other Ones 2002-08-04, and during The Wheel, Jimmy Herring rips into The Eleven. The rest of the band didn't follow right then, but it was powerful and all him for that moment. He had a great tone and a good volume most of the time. Maybe the last player who could do The Eleven justice. Campbell probably not too far behind. Haynes doesn't have the tone and didn't stick with it long enough.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Time to create page: 0.74 seconds