• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

Re: jk's volume

#130322 2 years, 7 months ago
So that's the answer, I guess. DSO certainly doesn't hold Jeff M back from what I just saw last week. I guess JK just doesn't have that in-your-face quality with his volume choice. Having said that, I still really love the music Furthur is making and will continue to enjoy them regardless of where JK sets his volume knob.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, MushroomMan
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#130351 2 years, 7 months ago
Mr. Pink wrote:
IMO, JK is just not a very aggressive player. I don't believe at all Phil and Bobby are holding him back. If anyone is holding him back, it's himself.
Everything I've heard and seen leads most down this path.

I find it funny that I always found Larry Campbell too passive, and then JK comes along and pretty much makes Campbell seem aggressive.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#130357 2 years, 7 months ago
Let JK make more calls. LEAD GUITAR. The grape vine said JK was being kept down by Bobby. Is there any truth to that? Does anyone benefit? Not even Bobby. DSO seemed more lead by JK than Furthur is, understandably. Phil's wife calling some of the set-list? Really?
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stuck at the station
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#130366 2 years, 7 months ago
Iriecycle wrote:
Phil's wife calling some of the set-list? Really?
Most nights, she (if she is indeed doing it, and the scuttlebutt is she is) does a lot nicer job than Bob's manager (or whoever is rumor to be doing it from his camp). When I go to a show, I'm hoping someone on Phil's side is compiling the list.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#130376 2 years, 7 months ago
Mr. Pink wrote:
Every single time I have seen JK, he has never been loud and up front (including DSO). It never helped that the Bobby guy had a 4X12 stack of JBLs which rivaled the house PA the majority of times in small clubs. IMO, JK is just not a very aggressive player. I don't believe at all Phil and Bobby are holding him back. If anyone is holding him back, it's himself.

I agree. John is just too humble. I think he also gets embarrassed sometimes, I've seen his face gets really red after a disapproving glance from bobby.

Maybe instead of turning John up someone needs to turn bobby down, or least tell him to fix his tone.
If your going to have the rhythm guitar that loud, make it sound warm, not metallic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb, 23atwell, stuck at the station
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder

#130386 2 years, 7 months ago
drpsilocybo wrote:
turn bobby down, or least tell him to fix his tone.
If your going to have the rhythm guitar that loud, make it sound warm, not metallic.
I love Bob's ear, but this percussive, muted style he's been using since the 80s, and only a lot worse now, do his playing and ear no justice at all. It's very cutting and pangy. A lot of the time, it sounds to me like he's playing the same sound over and over and over again. I hesitate to call it a note. Thankfully, I don't notice it as much live, but on the recordings, it can be downright disruptive. I wonder how much he suffers from hearing loss or tone deafness.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb, stuck at the station
stuck at the station
Junior Boarder

#130393 2 years, 7 months ago
i think i first noticed johns guitar being down in the mix at monterey, i think at the monterey shows it was really bad, especially on the recordings. you can barely hear john, the background singers and phil's bass were both really loud in the mix.

this is the first I'm hearing of phil's wife making the setlists, but i must say that i enjoy the set lists and i agree that jill is better than someone from bob's camp picking the tunes.

i also agree about bobs guitar tone, but i seem to notice it a lot more live than i do on the recordings. especially when I'm flying high on acid during the shows, bob's clanky metallic guitar tones stick out really bad and almost pierce my ear drum when I'm at the shows, but when I'm listening to the shows in my car, it really doesn't bother me as much.

but FUCK YES we need john to turn up his guitar a little bit.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#130399 2 years, 7 months ago
I always liked what Bob adds to the music including his current tone but sometimes it seems like it may be just a touch to loud. That could also be JK just being a little low which makes it seem that way.

I've been loving the setlists since the begining and even more lately the way they put a lot of unusual arrangements. From what I understand Phil and Jill and then Bob and his manager take turns with the setlists. Sometimes you can tell when it's a Bobby setlist but sometimes it's hard to even guess who made which ones. I assume it makes it much easier on Bob and Phil when they have help with them rather then worrying about it every night themselves. It was also noted in an interview that the whole band is encouraged to have some input on what they play.... I think it was either a Weir or JK interview where that was mentioned.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by MushroomMan.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#130408 2 years, 7 months ago
I agree. John is just too humble. I think he also gets embarrassed sometimes, I've seen his face gets really red after a disapproving glance from bobby.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

@drpsilocybin

Man you must have great seats, although more likely a better imagination, with stage lighting and all...

After 15 + years of proving it as a professional guitarist I don't think JK is doing the awe shucks. ....with the possible exception of the first tour.....Now he is just following directions from the bosses, like most of us have to do. If you don't recognize a more assertive JK on stage I suggest an audiologist.
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#130410 2 years, 7 months ago
its just an observation. maybe his face gets red because hes really pumped up. I've had some good seats, but you can see that shit form the nosebleeds. Maybe it was just the drugs, but I could swear that during knocking on heaven's door @ wilkes-barre bobby shot john a wtf glance, and john got real red in the face, stayed red through the bow too.
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds