• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

Re: jk's volume

#129791 2 years, 4 months ago
Couldn't agree more. I fell in love with JK at nye 09. I have always like him in dso but tat night on nye, the so many roads was just amazing and turned up. It seems like in 2010 towards the mid 2011 he kind of fell out of the mix in with his volume. I think it's bob. I think he just want to be heard more. When I listen to gd, I hear Jerry at all time. Sometimes I have to concentrate on listing to bobby to hear him. I mean I hear him but I can't tune everybody out like I can listing to Jerry listing to a 1970 or 71 midnight hour today. Bobby sounded so perfect in the mix. The tone to his guitar was perfect. I want that sound back.
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Mindbender94
Senior Boarder
Transitive Nightfall of Diamonds

#129832 2 years, 4 months ago
He needs to definatley turn up the volume i thought was the only one that thought that his volume was low.
"You can't close the door when the wall's caved in"
ZenoMarx
Gold Boarder
PLEASE be quiet when the band is playing. PLEASE.

#129837 2 years, 4 months ago
Definitely agree. I've said this before, and I'll say it again. It's one of the reasons why they cannot hold The Eleven together beyond the first couple of measures. Maybe he doesn't care for the song, or maybe he finds it a difficult song, with the odd signature, to be creative and to continue to improvise, but volume would certainly help to author an illusion. I find it to be the case with other particular songs, but The Eleven is the standout to me.
You aren't interesting or clever when you write or speak in the lyrics of others. Rather, what are YOUR words?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#129841 2 years, 4 months ago
they consistently botch the eleven, especially the intro. it always sounds like john misses his cue he doesn't have the rising little peak to kick things off. no screaming guitar opening it, no guitar at all.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
stricken
Gold Boarder

#129847 2 years, 4 months ago
Well i believe the volume has been turned up but maybe just another notch would help. At wilkes barre he was plenty loud and you could see he was having a great time. The other thing i noticed was phil was louder than anyone else so i sorta thnk its more then just turning J.K. being turned up and then you have everyone wanting to hear themselves in the mix. But in general im with you on wanting to hear all the little licks in between the vocals.
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#129852 2 years, 4 months ago
As much as I love JK, I could stand to have him a lil more out front during their gigs. He is such a perfect fit and now being on the same side as Jeff C, I noticed the energy increase from both of them. They really feed off each other nicely and Im all about a little more volume from JK. Turn It Up!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: mcolleen
mcolleen
Junior Boarder
You are the song that the morning brings

#130263 2 years, 4 months ago
rockinbob wrote:
As much as I love JK, I could stand to have him a lil more out front during their gigs. He is such a perfect fit and now being on the same side as Jeff C, I noticed the energy increase from both of them. They really feed off each other nicely and Im all about a little more volume from JK. Turn It Up!

Well said, as usual, Bob: I really noticed.JK. & Jeff C feeding off each other~especially.over the New Years run & it was GREAT to watch!

Can't wait to finally meet you at the.Beacon: T minus 5 weeks!!
"The breeze would pause to listen in"
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#130305 2 years, 4 months ago
I agree that the lead guitar in GD music needs to be way upfront in the mix. Here's what I am wondering: How loud was JK in DSO? I have only recently started seeing that band, and Jeff Mattson is very loud (and impressive, I must say) in their mix. He drives that band the way Jerry drove the GD for most of his career. My guess is that JK was allowed to drive DSO but that Bobby and Phil don't want it that way in Furthur.
Without love day to day insanity's king
Mr. Pink
Fresh Boarder

#130312 2 years, 4 months ago
Every single time I have seen JK, he has never been loud and up front (including DSO). It never helped that the Bobby guy had a 4X12 stack of JBLs which rivaled the house PA the majority of times in small clubs. IMO, JK is just not a very aggressive player. I don't believe at all Phil and Bobby are holding him back. If anyone is holding him back, it's himself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ZenoMarx, bokb
gvanman
Platinum Boarder

#130315 2 years, 4 months ago
needs to be louder. he seemed to have the same problem with Dark Star, most of the time.
Time to create page: 0.46 seconds