• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

Censorship on this board

#12917 3 years, 3 months ago
A friend of mine had his account deleted from here. The reason given was

"We had reports from several users and after reviewing the posts deemed they were against Forum rules and offensive to other users."

This seems to me to mean that some users said it was offensive and then admin decided that it offended others. Can admin read minds? And since when is it wrong to offend people? I am offended all the time. The government offends me. The corporations offend me. The media offends me.

I am sure that some were offended by what Jesus was saying. Does that mean he should be banned?

Back in the day society as a whole was offended by the hippies and the Grateful Dead. Should they have been silenced?

Is this a place for discourse or for just blowing smoke up each others' assholes?
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

Re: Censorship on this board

#12920 3 years, 3 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
A friend of mine had his account deleted from here. The reason given was

"We had reports from several users and after reviewing the posts deemed they were against Forum rules and offensive to other users."

This seems to me to mean that some users said it was offensive and then admin decided that it offended others. Can admin read minds? And since when is it wrong to offend people? I am offended all the time. The government offends me. The corporations offend me. The media offends me.

I am sure that some were offended by what Jesus was saying. Does that mean he should be banned?

Back in the day society as a whole was offended by the hippies and the Grateful Dead. Should they have been silenced?

Is this a place for discourse or for just blowing smoke up each others' assholes?

There is not a whole lot of rules to follow

Users of the Forum agree to the following basic rules:

Be respectful to yourself and others. No degrading, threatening or defamatory comments.
Please use your real name and we encourage your to use you photo for your profile.
Users cannot use the Forum to violate any law.
Users may not misuse the proprietary information or property of others.
Users agree not to falsify user information.
Furthur reserves the right to block or suspend users due to rule violations or activity deemed inappropriate by moderators

Seems like they are just asking people to be Kind
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#12921 3 years, 3 months ago
Doesn't say do not offend anyone, does it? Yet, he was banned for offending.
Abba
Gold Boarder
I missed Jerry!

#12922 3 years, 3 months ago
Shakin Nagan wrote:
Doesn't say do not offend anyone, does it? Yet, he was banned for offending.

Could have been banned for any number of reasons...but it sounds like it was for being unkind...
Turn on, Tune in, Drop out
Think for yourself, Escape the gene pools
Brooklyn Jimmy
Junior Boarder

#12923 3 years, 3 months ago
That's lame.

Lynx
Visitor

#12924 3 years, 3 months ago
It's not so much what was said but the spirit in which it was said I would guess...but I don't know who you are talking about so I could be wrong.

I haven't been offended by anything posted on this board yet. Cancer and senile dementia/Alzheimer's disease, two things that me and my family are dealing with right now, those are things that I find offensive. When you've got shit like that going on trouble makers on a band's message board are insignificant.
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#12925 3 years, 3 months ago
dosn't degrading kind of fall under offending?

and if he was offending someone then he wasn't being respectful?

just some thoughts about why they banned him, not picking sides or nothing - i have no idea who it was that got banned either.
Okie
Junior Boarder
I Miss Jerry.

#12926 3 years, 3 months ago
Been there done that Lynx. That's some tough stuff to deal with.

My thoughts go out to you and yours dealing with that bullshit.

FUCK CANCER!!!!
"In the land of the dark, the ship of the sun is driven by the Grateful Dead"
ruby_claire
Senior Boarder
Neon Light Diamond

#12928 3 years, 3 months ago
IMHO I don't think it's necessarily content that is deemed offensive, but INTENT.

I doubt anyone here is so easily offended, but if someone SAYS that they are (which happened yesterday)and this is meant to be a place of respect, then the decent thing to do is to quit posting about the topic that has been deemed inappropriate by a community member.

That's what a community is.

If on the other hand, one goes out and tries to instigate by posting ever more offensive threads along the same lines in order to provoke or insult someone else, (which also happened), then that should be stopped.

It's childish to purposely try to offend people, kind of like sticking your tongue out. Just plain silly to me, but maybe taken more seriously by someone who feels attacked in a place they came to discuss music that they love and maybe meet some like minded individuals. The kind thing to do is to quit doing whatever is making someone else uncomfortable.

Not censorship of content, but censorship of behaviour. Everyone deserves respect.

Peace, all.
standing on the moon
with nothing left to do
a lovely view of heaven
but i'd rather be with you
Last Edit: 3 years, 3 months ago by ruby_claire. Reason: egads -spelling error ;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Confusions Prince, Abba, StuartSlate
Shakin Nagan
Junior Boarder

#12929 3 years, 3 months ago
>>and if he was offending someone then he wasn't being respectful?

If I went through life making sure I did not offend anyone I would never say anything.

Lots of stuff I have read here offends me.
Time to create page: 5.54 seconds