• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

Garcia quote about 12/21/2012

#129122 2 years, 1 month ago
In a 1993 Rolling Stone interview Garcia said, "the date that holds significance for me is 2012. That's [writer and self-described expert in 'the ethnopharmacology of spiritual transformation'] Terence McKenna's alpha moment, which is where the universe undergoes its most extraordinary transformations. He talks about these cycles, exponential cycles in which, in each epic, more happens than in all previous time. Like he talks about novelty, the insertion of novelty into the time track. His first example of novelty is, say, the appearance of life. So the universe goes along, brrrrmmmmm, then all of a sudden, life appears: bing! So that's something new. Then the next novelty is, like, vertebrates. Then the next novelty might be language -- that sort of thing. They're transformations of a huge kind, gains in consciousness. So he's got us, like, in the last forty-year cycle now -- it's running down, we're definitely tightening up -- and during this period, more will happen than has happened in all previous time. This is going to peak in 2012. He's got a specific date for it, too -- maybe December some time, I don't remember. But that moment, at the last 135th of a second or something like that, something like forty of these transformations will happen."

--------------------------

Also, there are blurbs from several GD members for some of the aforementioned Terence McKenna's books (I think most of the band members were reading The Invisible Landscape back in the mid-70s ):

The Invisible Landscape: Mind, Hallucinogens and the I Ching
"One of the most mind boggling books I've ever read." --Jerry Garcia

Food of the Gods
"McKenna is a wild man, probing the depths of the great mysteries of the mind. He asks big questions, he rides the Edge. He's an explorer, a circumnavigtior of human consciousness. Terence is on to something" --Mickey Hart, The Grateful Dead

True Hallucinations
"How the Magellan of mentats put his mind and body on the line and discovered the source of consciousness, the end of history, and the factors that govern the ingress of novelty into our world. If you've been there, this book will take you back; if you haven't, get ready." --Phil Lesh, The Grateful Dead
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Equinox, wlewis, Bilbo, rockinbob, 23atwell, patchmyfurthur
taper.tsquare
Visitor

Re: Garcia quote about 12/21/2012

#129125 2 years, 1 month ago
i'm keeping my fingers crossed for Furthur to announce a local SF Bay Area show on 12/21.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#129146 2 years, 1 month ago
December 21 is the 355th day of a 365 days Gregorian calendar year. 355 – number of days added with Leap Year or 504.5 = – 149.5 days or 149.5 days that still needs to be subtracted to realign with the Mayan calendar. 365 days of the year calendar – 149.50 = the 215.5th day of the year which is August 3. According to these calculations the Mayan calendar actually ended on August 3, 2011.

The Mayan calendar didn't have leap years
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Chester
More or less in line

#129150 2 years, 1 month ago
All really interesting stuff. While I'm not sure of the calculations, and I really don't anticipate the end of the world,
I believe there will be a transformation of consciousness, of some sort. May be just caused by everyone being so
aware of a specific moment in time.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#129155 2 years, 1 month ago
splatter_face wrote:
December 21 is the 355th day of a 365 days Gregorian calendar year. 355 – number of days added with Leap Year or 504.5 = – 149.5 days or 149.5 days that still needs to be subtracted to realign with the Mayan calendar. 365 days of the year calendar – 149.50 = the 215.5th day of the year which is August 3. According to these calculations the Mayan calendar actually ended on August 3, 2011.

The Mayan calendar didn't have leap years

wow, i'll be at Shoreline for Iron Maiden on 08/03. that will be a very interesting show to see as the world is ending.
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#129162 2 years, 1 month ago
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Last Edit: 2 years, 1 month ago by splatter_face.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#129174 2 years, 1 month ago
Looks like Weir's on board with a 12.21.12 show with TedxAlcatraz.

A rarity...Masters of War

I remember watching a tv interview with Weir at a bar talking about 12.21 but I can't find it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#129204 2 years, 1 month ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
I remember watching a tv interview with Weir at a bar talking about 12.21 but I can't find it.

Also, Rolling Stone recently reported Weir as being "en route to the Mayan ruins in Tulum, Mexico where he is vacationing."
Gordon the Drummer
Senior Boarder

#129389 2 years, 1 month ago
I forgot all about this Dec. 2000 Phil performance until now. Found audio and a review of Countdown to 2012 - Celebrating the Life and Logos of Terence McKenna

www.archive.org/details/2000-12-15.lal.s...eff.6530.sbeok.flacf

www.philzone.com/reviews/rev001215.html

Lost At Last
*Phil Lesh Joins for:
*Peyote
*Other One
*Dark Star
*Franklin's Tower

*Phil Recites Terence Tribute by Robert Hunter
Words for Terence

A wealthy soul hath he,
a bellicose capacity for wonder
as braving the dread
tactility of infinite ice
he astonishes angels
at their orisons,
consorts with actual imps
in virginal dimensions
holy and obscure.

There is no tongue
he does not speak:
chemic, mathematic,
philosophic rap
nor thunder rattle,
no Medusa hath he
left uncourted
where she sits
beside eliptic windows
contemplating Asia
in the setting sun.

Salutations thou who
was and is and is not.
Ave Atqua Vale.
There is no death
only final preparation
to discover
all numbers
are multiples of one.

Robert Hunter 12.13.00
deadegad
Expert Boarder

#129391 2 years, 1 month ago
Yeah this 2012 thing does make me wonder. . .. Disaster movie? Leap of Consciousness?

Not to be cynical, but, this is an event for humankind so let's be hope TicketBastard doesn't get a hold of it!
Time to create page: 0.78 seconds