• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
dr bakes
Platinum Boarder
Dizzy ain't the word for the way you're makin me

Re: Happy 70th Birthday Lou Reed!

#128391 2 years, 7 months ago
As a kid I loved Rock n Roll Animal, but really Lou?

LOU: I can get off understanding the kick it was to play Lovelight.... But they're amateur...they can't play. Jerry's not a good guitar player. It's a joke, and the Airplane is even worse, if that's possible.
DOUG: Jerry, he'll play the same solo for a half hour, but if he'd done it for just two minutes....
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#128404 2 years, 7 months ago
Blame it on the smack
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#128425 2 years, 7 months ago
rockinbob wrote:
I always Loved Lou's solo album New York and of course the VU. Happy 70th to a guy who prolly didnt think he'd live to see 50.
I can say though the Metallica thing he did just did not work for me.
@ Equinox,
Steve Hunter played with Mitch Ryder and my friend Johnny Bee in a band called Detroit which did my favorite version of Rock N Roll from VU. Have you heard that?
Its also nice to see Alice playing with Steve again and also Dick Wagner too. Those guys really helped him back in the day with their work on his records.....

You know Johnny Bee? Very cool. I've seen him with Mitch. And yes, I'm well aware of the band Detroit. Their debut album is an excellent slice of early 70s rock.

Wagner is not touring with Alice, unfortunately. He is, however, on last year's excellent disc Welcome 2 My Nightmare. Hunter is kind of an add-on to Alice's regular two guitarists but he just adds a completely different texture. He also seems to inspire Alice. What I saw last December was a concert as opposed to just a show. Lots of unusual choices from the original Alice Cooper band and a real focus on the music as opposed to the theatrics.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#128434 2 years, 7 months ago
Happy Belated Birthday Lou
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
1Stellargirl
Junior Boarder

#128494 2 years, 7 months ago
While I do go through the occasional phase of needing to hear VU, I cannot say that I am a true fan or anything. However, I just love the difference in the music scenes in 1967-68 between San Francisco and New York. At the same time that The Dead were groovy and spacey, VU were seedy and scary. I love it.

Thanks, Lou!

joel
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#128505 2 years, 7 months ago
Lou, happy belated b-day!!!
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds