• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Happy 70th Birthday Lou Reed!

#128025 2 years, 7 months ago
Happy Birthday, Lou! Glad you're still walking on the wild side!!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, Terrapin Sedation, scar1et_f1re, lightchaser, rockinbob
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: Happy 70th Birthday Lou Reed!

#128034 2 years, 7 months ago
Sweet Lou

Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lightchaser, SunshineSue
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder

#128036 2 years, 7 months ago
Youtube mix for Lou Reed with 100 vids

doesn't post with the www.

but I'm sure you all can find it if you need to.

youtube.com/artist?a=GxdCwVVULXe3joATJM-NR3b-FoWergui
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#128043 2 years, 7 months ago
Not just one of my rock n roll heroes but one of my literary heroes, up there with Kesey, Vonnegut and Burroughs. A brilliant, brilliant poet who just happened tp do it with a guitar.

The first time I heard The Velvet Underground Live At Max's, in 1972, it totally turned my mind around. I thought I was a hip little kid -- into Zappa, Leon Russell, the Stones -- but that album made me realize I didn't know anything at all about life. Even more than the Dead, the Velvets were my signpost to outsider knowledge. And while that path sure got crazy at times, I'm eternally grateful for the push. For how can you truly recognize the light if you're not aware of the shadows?

Oh, and the 30 or so times I've seen Lou live have been pretty great too. The first time -- on the Rock N Roll Animal tour in December '73 -- is still one of my top ten concerts of all time.

Happy Birthday Lou, and thanks for everything!
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, SunshineSue
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder

#128079 2 years, 7 months ago
Fascinating essay about the parallels between the Grateful Dead and the Velvet Underground.

Beware, Lou said some harsh things about the boys, especially Jerry. But I bet he eventually came around.

deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/09/velvets-and-dead.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder

#128084 2 years, 7 months ago
There's also this, which I haven't heard. But its at least worth it for the pics.

wheresthatsoundcomingfrom.blogspot.com/2...west-well-hello.html
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#128319 2 years, 7 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
Fascinating essay about the parallels between the Grateful Dead and the Velvet Underground.

Beware, Lou said some harsh things about the boys, especially Jerry. But I bet he eventually came around.

deadessays.blogspot.com/2010/09/velvets-and-dead.html

Nice piece.

"Imagine that there could have been an alternate world in which people would have listened to forty versions of ‘Sister Ray’ for similar moments of transcendence."

I have over a dozen different Sister Rays in my collection. Each one is like a completely new piece. IMO the Velvets were far more confrontational than the Dead but that's a lot of the New York vibe. The Fugs were pretty confrontational too. Things haven't really changed. Spend a week in NY and then a week somewhere on the West Coast (except LA). It's like night and day.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
lightchaser
Platinum Boarder

#128326 2 years, 7 months ago
Happy Birthday to the Rock and Roll Animal! I got the R&R Animal Live album as a teenager and just wore it out. He had killer guitar players.
Thank You Cody, we are forever Grateful!
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#128334 2 years, 7 months ago
lightchaser wrote:
Happy Birthday to the Rock and Roll Animal! I got the R&R Animal Live album as a teenager and just wore it out. He had killer guitar players.

After Lou, Steve Hunter and Dick Wagner moved over to Alice Cooper. I just saw Alice in December and Steve's back with him. Great concert, best I've seen from Alice in years.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#128377 2 years, 7 months ago
I always Loved Lou's solo album New York and of course the VU. Happy 70th to a guy who prolly didnt think he'd live to see 50.
I can say though the Metallica thing he did just did not work for me.
@ Equinox,
Steve Hunter played with Mitch Ryder and my friend Johnny Bee in a band called Detroit which did my favorite version of Rock N Roll from VU. Have you heard that?
Its also nice to see Alice playing with Steve again and also Dick Wagner too. Those guys really helped him back in the day with their work on his records.....
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Time to create page: 0.24 seconds