• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

"old" furthur

#127453 2 years, 6 months ago
never really have much discussion about it, folks rarely post links for shows or vids of the earlier furthur stuff.

i really liked it, especially with jay lane in the band. can always hear him doing the trippiest little shit in the background. phil's got that brighter tone with the eye or horus. weir sounds a little better, more upbeat. the one thing is chimenti is not as prominent and i felt like he played a little more organ then. you can definitely tell too, jk is a lot more comfortable with the band now than he was then.

this winter 2010 tour was fun. i didn't do the entire thing i was stuck in a long term substitute teaching position, it just worked out we had a two weeks off during the tour so i did a long string of shows from the south up to the northeast.

www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-02-1...ficial.112937.flac16

a really interesting show, neat setlist. well played.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

Re: "old" furthur

#127456 2 years, 6 months ago
original furthur was dope, I miss Jay too, he brought some great energy. my first show was the second night at Asbury Park.
did you see Phil walk across the stage and give John a big hug after Franklin's?
that's probably my favorite furthur moment
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#127462 2 years, 6 months ago
^^^ those were my first 2 furthur shows, first being the night before. i got rocked silly dude. i will NEVER forget those 2 shows as long as i live. and yes, i do remember the hug. that place was great, the scene on the beach afterwards was hilarious. i slept in my car right there it was totally cool, i loved it.
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by wlewis.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#127465 2 years, 6 months ago
damn no photos...found the stub for the first night the other day, was gonna post it, and my broomfield pix in another thread....
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by wlewis.
drpsilocybo
Junior Boarder
Trying to find a peacefull song

#127467 2 years, 6 months ago
and the mother fucking gemenoid meteor shower!!!

I walked out and looked up at the sky, see a shooting star, turn to my girl and we both say "did you see that!" then I saw like 10 more and started to wonder if it was all in my head lol, that was certainly one of the greatest nights of my life
The following user(s) said Thank You: FurthurFlower67
MushroomMan
Platinum Boarder

#127474 2 years, 6 months ago
12/11/09 at the Oakdale was my first Furthur show and I was pretty impressed. nice long trippy Dark Star in there
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#127478 2 years, 6 months ago
I first seen Furthur in March 2010. Then I saw a summer show and a few fall shows in 2010. Each show they got better and better. I got to see them with Jay Lane and a different backup singer not Jeff P. When I first heard Jay was leaving the band for Primus I was a little upset and was like well whoever this Joe Russo is better impress me. Lol and he did. But I'd say it took lil while. I use to listen to my 2010 recordings all the time. But with the band changing for the better the recordings did too. And when I go back to listen to the older recordings they have that special magic but it takes them a lot longer into the show to all vibe together. Just my opinion.

But I do agree that Jeff did not shine as much. There were special moments he had but nothing like he does now! And one thing I'm loving is Phil's vocals have gotten so good! John is feeling more comfortable for sure. I remember the first time I seen them and he was like almost offstage he was so shy and didn't face the audience much just focused on the band and what they were doing. And Bobby well I know people don't like when he sings Jerry songs but when he sang Mission 7/31/11 a day before Jerrys bday was the best! Jerry was coming thru for sure!

But from my very first show I was hooked! And I just can't wait to see what they got next....
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
Chester
More or less in line

#127485 2 years, 6 months ago
I saw two shows with Jay, 2/14, and 2/20, 2010. I enjoyed what he contributed. But it's obvious,
JK is more comfortable with his place as time goes by. And Joe just keeps getting better.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#127486 2 years, 6 months ago
Yeah .. I loved touring that stretch from New Years 2009 up to Phil's Bday 2010. I need to do that again ... come on West Fall tour ... come on ...
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
splatter_face
Platinum Boarder

#127519 2 years, 6 months ago
My first time, and what a time it was.....so I heard Awesome S>F!

www.archive.org/details/furthur2010-03-0....frank.106391.flac16
.....nine mile skid on a ten mile ride
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by splatter_face.
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds