• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

Re: R.I.P. Davey Jones?!?!

#127246 2 years, 5 months ago
i used to love watching the Monkees when i was a kid. very fond memories indeed. sorry to hear the news of Davey's passing.
Warlock
Platinum Boarder

#127258 2 years, 5 months ago
i enjoyed watching them too ! sad day R.I.P. Davey
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
maredwar
Junior Boarder

#127275 2 years, 5 months ago
I was watching The Monkees when I heard Elvis died. I was pissed they interupted the show. I had all of their albums, probably still do. They were my gateway drug as far as music was concerned. They led me to the Beatles, who eventually led me here.
RIP Davy Jones
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation, scar1et_f1re, rockinbob
Chester
More or less in line

#127286 2 years, 5 months ago
R.I.P. Davy. I feel like a part of my chilhood, died with him. I loved the Monkee's as a kid.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation, SunshineSue, rockinbob
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#127287 2 years, 5 months ago
For anyone around 50+ years old The Monkees are ingrained in their musical consciousness. They came at a time when The Beatles were soaring to their height in popularity. The Monkees was TV's answer to movies like Help! and Hard Days Night. There's plenty to read about their impact. Definitely a made for TV band that had great lyricists and started out not playing their instruments, but I think they rose above that with their musical and comedic talents.

All the girls loved Davy! and lots of the boys wanted to be him. Personally, I was a Mickey Dolenz fan. And still have the miniature drum set to prove it.

I had a chance to speak with Peter Tork a few years back about The Monkees opening for Hendrix. He said he would make sure to watch him every night from the side of the stage, just awe struck. They were big fans.

Here's a tiny bit of Garcia on The Monkees.

The following user(s) said Thank You: lightchaser, SunshineSue
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#127288 2 years, 5 months ago
Fun clip with Zappa and his talking cow at the end

RIP DJ.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: SunshineSue
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#127291 2 years, 5 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
For anyone around 50+ years old The Monkees are ingrained in their musical consciousness. They came at a time when The Beatles were soaring to their height in popularity. The Monkees was TV's answer to movies like Help! and Hard Days Night. There's plenty to read about their impact. Definitely a made for TV band that had great lyricists and started out not playing their instruments, but I think they rose above that with their musical and comedic talents.

All the girls loved Davy! and lots of the boys wanted to be him. Personally, I was a Mickey Dolenz fan. And still have the miniature drum set to prove it.

I had a chance to speak with Peter Tork a few years back about The Monkees opening for Hendrix. He said he would make sure to watch him every night from the side of the stage, just awe struck. They were big fans.

Here's a tiny bit of Garcia on The Monkees.

hey at least us young'uns got the re-runs!! if i was in a band that had jimi hendrix opening for me i would be thinking..."i have to go and follow HIM!!?!?!? What the hell am I gonna do with myself now?! I can't even play guitar like that"
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#127293 2 years, 5 months ago
^^^^

Imagine taking your kids to see The Monkees and being greeted by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

The big unanswered question, what genius of a booking agent put that double bill together?
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
zimmy jr
Junior Boarder

#127313 2 years, 5 months ago
Terrapin Sedation wrote:
^^^^

Imagine taking your kids to see The Monkees and being greeted by the Jimi Hendrix Experience.

The big unanswered question, what genius of a booking agent put that double bill together?

The same one who had The Who opening for Herman's Hermits the same year That was my 1st concert going experience at the ripe age of 7. Shockingly I still remember the show & being petrified when they smashed their instruments & Keith threw his snare across the stage. Good times
one man gathers what another man spills
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by zimmy jr.
Chester
More or less in line

#127316 2 years, 5 months ago
From Michael Nesmith, via FaceBook

"All the lovely people. Where do they all come from? So many lovely and heartfelt messages of condolence and sympathy, I don’t know what to say, except my sincere thank you to all. I share and appreciate your feelings. But let’s not get ahead of ourselves here. While it is jarring, and sometimes seems unjust, or strange, this transition we call dying and death is a constant in the mortal experience that we know almost nothing about. I am of the mind that it is a transition and I carry with me a certainty of the continuity of existence. While I don’t exactly know what happens in these times, there is an ongoing sense of life that reaches in my mind out far beyond the near horizons of mortality and into the reaches of infinity. That David has stepped beyond my view causes me the sadness that it does many of you. I will miss him, but I won’t abandon him to mortality. I will think of him as existing within the animating life that insures existence. I will think of him and his family with that gentle regard in spite of all the contrary appearances on the mortal plane. David’s spirit and soul live well in my heart, among all the lovely people, who remember with me the good times, and the healing times, that were created for so many, including us. I have fond memories. I wish him safe travels."
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
Time to create page: 1.11 seconds