deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

Re: $150 too much for TC says BJ

#127309 2 years, 5 months ago
taper.tsquare wrote:
deadahead wrote:
Equinox wrote:
Unless you live in the area it won't practical to hit TC night after night.

Let's be realistic. Even those who do live in the area will find it impractical to hit TC night after night @ $150 a ticket.

this is a very correct statement.

taper.tsquare wrote:
Dire Wolf wrote:
Let's be realistic....California has some stinking filthy rich people.....i bet some are deadheads!!

this is also a very correct statement.

Yes on both. The unignorable and glaring fact that so many have pointed out is that Terrapin Crossroads is simply priced so that is more of a realistic option for the upper class than for the average working person to be able to afford going at least once let alone an entire run. Phil planned to do 100 shows a year at the new venue, too. I don't care about why the prices are the way they are, there are too many opinions on that topic for a concensus.

Additionally, in terms of last minute ticket price reductions, the locals will benefit the most. If you are local that is a huge plus, but doesn't do much if you have to schedule time off work more than 2 to 48 hours ahead of show-time, pay inflated air fare, book last minute lodging, car rental, etc, and get your ass across the country in time for the show.

I do not see these current shows selling out unless the big names are there. For example, only the 17th and 22nd shows have sold out:
17th: Bob Weir (and Jackie Greene)
22nd: John Kadlecik and Special Guest (TBA)

The other ten nights are wide open for $150 GA tickets.

Ticket prices can make the difference between an empty house and a sold out house. More than a week into ticket sales the house is looking eerily empty, in stark contrast to so many shows that sell out in hours or less. And I wish nothing but success for Phil, so fingers crossed that he is able to quickly see and make the changes needed to keep the new business venture going for the long haul.
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
deadahead
Junior Boarder

#127434 2 years, 5 months ago
Here is an on-topic opinion article just out from Marin Independent Journal: www.marinij.com/opinion/ci_20065372

And interestingly enough, 4.5 hours ago when I posted my last post in this thread, only 2 of the 12 nights in this run were sold out, the 17th (w/Bob Weir) and the 22nd (w/John K). And conveniently in the past 4.5 hours all but 3 of the 12 shows have sold out, that means 7 shows appear to have sold out in that short time frame, on a Wednesday no less, while nothing really sold out over the past week or more except the initial rushes for the 17th and 22nd shows.

When I stop and think about it for a moment, the sudden "rush" for tickets looks strangely suspicious when you consider that at inticketing.com you can edit your number of available tickets for your show(s). Appeareances are important to Phil and his team (as noted by the censorship here on these forums and on TC's Facebook) and a bunch of shows appearing to sell out would look good to motivate people to "buy them while they are available". And then 2 to 48 hours or more before a show a sudden release of reserved tickets becomes available at $75 and bam, sold and sold. Makes you want to ask everyone at the show: how much did you pay? I would definitely do that. Would you be surprised if 75% of the people said $75? Hey, that's marketing, folks! Oh my! It's my gut feeling that Phil and team read my post and other peoples posts on this same subject all over the Net and that they reacted to it in a way that seemed best to them. Perhaps this proposed scenario is correct? Perhaps not. But keep in mind, as one of the other members over at TerrapinLanding.com posted recently: Phil: "I get all the feedback I care from the internet. Its certainly a larger statistical sampling than one review that comes with a particular set of prejudices, but it is certainly illuminating, to read everybody’s different comments."

I would hope that in reality the shows did sell out, because I do want Phil to succeed in his new venue, but you who are spurred to buy tickets as a result of this sudden change in availability of tickets may never know if you've been manipulated or not. Something to think about.
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#127446 2 years, 5 months ago
i think you might be starting to lose it brother. sit back and burn one.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva, Strider1
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#127455 2 years, 5 months ago
I really wish you would stop talking about this forum being censored like it is a fact, because it is not a fact. What does it matter to you what others paid for tickets, that you would ask others at a show? I am a fan of Phils and wish him the best of luck with Terrapin Crossroads. I buy tickets based on wether I feel they are worth it and don't continue to debate their value. I am grateful we are given this gift of music for this extended period of time and don't question the source of this gift.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, wlewis, amusingdeva, Strider1, mortimer
deadahead
Junior Boarder

#127472 2 years, 5 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
I really wish you would stop talking about this forum being censored like it is a fact, because it is not a fact.

Sure, however based on my experiences, it is a fact that some censorship is going on here and at TC's facebook. See www.furthur.net/forum/general-discussion...imit=20&start=20 and terrapinlanding.com's forums.

wlewis wrote:

No, not at all. I am simply paying close attention as things unfold, as one should do with all things in life, right? I saw a reasonable possibility and connection, and although unpleasant, I did notice the (remote?) possibility of manipulation and spoke to it, end of story. Move along.
Tmglf2
Platinum Boarder
Without love in a dream, it will never come true.

#127481 2 years, 5 months ago
deadahead wrote:
Tmglf2 wrote:
I really wish you would stop talking about this forum being censored like it is a fact, because it is not a fact.

Sure, however based on my experiences, it is a fact that some censorship is going on here and at TC's facebook. See www.furthur.net/forum/general-discussion...imit=20&start=20 and terrapinlanding.com's forums.

wlewis wrote:

No, not at all. I am simply paying close attention as things unfold, as one should do with all things in life, right? I saw a reasonable possibility and connection, and although unpleasant, I did notice the (remote?) possibility of manipulation and spoke to it, end of story. Move along.

When it comes to this board and accusations of manipulation by Phil, I wish you would not refer to it as a fact when you yourself say it might only be possible and remote at that. I will not move along. This board,for me, has always been open to opinions and new ideas but don't badmouth Phil and back it up with opinions you state as facts.
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#127489 2 years, 5 months ago
Phil has given me too much for me to complain about anything and I find it way too hard to believe that he would be the type to stick it to his fans.
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: Tmglf2, amusingdeva
deadahead
Junior Boarder

#127497 2 years, 5 months ago
Tmglf2 wrote:
When it comes to this board and accusations of manipulation by Phil, I wish you would not refer to it as a fact when you yourself say it might only be possible and remote at that. I will not move along. This board,for me, has always been open to opinions and new ideas but don't badmouth Phil and back it up with opinions you state as facts.

Phil's venue will live or fail by the demand versus the pricing. We will see what happens over time. This first run is a good test. And as I previously stated, I do hope and pray for Phil's success! So, please, do not get me wrong. The fact is that censorship has occured (see previous citations and admissions by Furthur members), however the possibility is that people are potentially being manipulated as well, but hopefully not. There is really not much more to it.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by deadahead.
katie mae
Junior Boarder

#127498 2 years, 5 months ago
teafortexas wrote:
Denver Man wrote:
I know I am going to get burned at the stake for saying this but Blair's blogs usually make me want to jump off a tall building.

I won't lite the fuse. I don't feel his POV much more often than I agree with it. I suppose his contributions are by design some of the time. If he is just boot-licking all the time, he would become much less relevant. It is better for him professionally to ruffle some feathers and I think it's deliberate many times.

Ehhh, I dunno, I often find Blair's initial pontifications pretty wishy-washy. He always seems to state something very black or white (I usually dont agree with him, though in this recent post I definitely did) and once anyone challenges him directly, he immediately backs down in his next reply. He backed down in the reply thread of the aforementioned blog post and acted like everybody misunderstood what he was initially saying (he does that a lot). I would have a lot more respect for his writings if he stuck to his guns and defended his positions, instead of usually backing down at the first hint of disagreement. That's my long winded way of saying that while I really don't give a hoot what Blair Jackson thinks about Terrapin Station, I do feel the pricing is falling into insane greedy territory and is just ridiculous. Did these guys not make enough last ear touring? I'd love to know what E
every individual in Furthur netted last year, because I highly doubt they are slumming it, yanno? Just my opinion though, love the music, but te prices are over the line with TC.
Last Edit: 2 years, 5 months ago by katie mae.
Time to create page: 0.77 seconds