• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
WayfaringDreamer
Junior Boarder

Re: $150 too much for TC says BJ

#127192 2 years, 7 months ago
I do agree that $150 for a BJ is too much!
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#127200 2 years, 7 months ago
jaredlang wrote:
This was emailed to me recently:

Lesh Addresses Terrapin Ticket Prices
> >
> > AP – San Rafael, California. Today former Grateful Dead bassist Phil Lesh addressed price gouging accusations when opening ticket prices for twelve shows at his new digs, “Terrapin Crossroads,” were announced at $150 general admission and $300 for alleged “VIP” tickets. Crossroads is Lesh’s new concert venue and eatery which has suffered through many false starts, most notable of which was when Lesh abandoned plans to open in Fairfax when the town council voted down his petition to change the town name to “Phairphax” and charge a royalty to the town.
> >
> > Lesh’s new concert venue opens at the Grate Room at Terrapin Crossroads with a twelve-show Phil Lesh & Friends run. Phil Lesh’s friends include his son, Grahame, Jeff Chimenti, John Kadlecik, Joe Russo, Larry Campbell, Teresa Williams and Warren Haynes. Phans are angry with Lesh’s ticket prices.
> >
> > Tickets Phormula Revealed
> >
> > Lesh today revealed that, in fact, the $150 and $300 prices were only indicative of “blended rates” based on a new “Phormula.” “The Grateful Dead were instrumental in inventing and implementing innovations in sound and ticket sales,” Lesh stated. Basically, the Phormula will work like this: ticket prices will be based on a trinomial algorithm solving for variables including who is playing in the show: for example, a Warren Haynes show will cost more compared to a John Kadlecik show. Ticket prices will also vary by songs played – set lists will be formulated in advance. “A “Dark Star>St. Stephen” show will cost you more than an “Octopuses Garden” show, as well it should.,” Lesh claimed.
> >
> > Lesh explained the Phormula Further (no pun intended): “we went back and cataloged all the tapes. “Dark Star” was yelled out in the audience over the 30 year history of the Grateful Dead 12,347,411 times. At $0.01 per yell, Dark Star value is $123,474.11 divided by the intended audience at the show of 500 leaves a base ticket price of $246.94. The trinomial algorithm is then used to raise and drop the price.” Lesh continued: “we don’t know where this could end up – in fact, we may have to hit you up for more money at the door when you leave if, for instance, a special guest joins us or we decide to play “Sugar Magnolia” instead of “Black Peter.”” “However, no refunds will be issued for forgotten lyrics or half-played songs,” Lesh chuckled.
> >
> > “Look,” Lesh continued, for years we hardly made any money, and a lot of these rich people now will pay us pretty much anything to play anything, so why not do it, and charge them accordingly?” Lesh added, “As a Phavor to the Phans, I added my son Grahame to all the shows to bring down the Phormula price – the Phans are pretty ungratephul.” Reports that Lesh confiscated his son’s graduation money as a “Playing in the Band” fee could not be independently confirmed.
> >
> > Toll Booth and Phaced-book Concepts Floated
> >
> > Lesh also revealed plans to erect toll plazas at Yacht Club Drive and Francisco, and at the North and South approaches to Yacht Club Drive on Francisco itself. “Well, if they’ll pay $300 to hear us play in a restaurant where we’re also charging them to eat, and $5.00 for a webcast, we will definitely charge them $1.00 for a drive by. “
> >
> > We have long-term plans to connect all our Phans through social media by starting up “Phaced-book,” Lesh went on to say. “For a mere $500 charge, we’ll let you postm and then wel'll take, all your private information you freely give us, package it and take it public with Morgan Stanley through a stock offering – we think this an idea already proven in the marketplace.”
> >
> > Koons and Adams Sue
> >
> > Debra Koons, widow of former Grateful Dead guitarist Jerry Garcia filed suit in Marin County Superior Court alleging that because “Jerry ate a lot of food, drove in San Rafael too and that John Kadlecik is playing his riffs, the Garcia estate is entitled to a royalty on Lesh’s restaurant, music and toll booth plans.” Immediately following, suit was also filed by another of Garcia’s former wives, Carolyn “Mountain Girl” Adams, who stated through representatives “if she’s suing, I am too.”

i received this email when i was at the Broomfield shows and thought it was pretty funny.
deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

#127235 2 years, 7 months ago
23atwell wrote:
It writes about it with good taste. You gotta give it to him though for just being honest on dead.net and not just kissing ass

I completely agree, the honesty is very commendable and a refreshing change, as there's certainly been an ungodly amount of ass kissing.
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
deadahead
Junior Boarder
Music & Politics Don't Mix

#127238 2 years, 7 months ago
Equinox wrote:
Unless you live in the area it won't practical to hit TC night after night.

Let's be realistic. Even those who do live in the area will find it impractical to hit TC night after night @ $150 a ticket.
"The Grateful Dead," Jerry Garcia explained, "don't really take positions; we're musicians, not politicians."
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#127252 2 years, 7 months ago
Let's be realistic....California has some stinking filthy rich people.....i bet some are deadheads!!
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Dire Wolf.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#127259 2 years, 7 months ago
deadahead wrote:
Equinox wrote:

Let's be realistic. Even those who do live in the area will find it impractical to hit TC night after night @ $150 a ticket.

not if you're copping day of tix for 75 bucks, then you're paying what you pay to see furthur
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#127260 2 years, 7 months ago
deadahead wrote:
Equinox wrote:

this is a very correct statement.
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#127261 2 years, 7 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:
Let's be realistic....California has some stinking filthy rich people.....i bet some are deadheads!!

this is also a very correct statement.
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#127262 2 years, 7 months ago
Last Edit: 2 years, 7 months ago by Dire Wolf.
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#127302 2 years, 7 months ago
Dire Wolf wrote:

I wonder if Phil will finally break out Hotel California.

I saw a deadhead sticker on a Cadillac, parked at Terrapin Crossroads.
Time to create page: 0.28 seconds