• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Lynx
Visitor

Woodcock (I'll try and post a pic...)

#1254 3 years, 7 months ago

Attachment AWC.JPG not found

Also known as "Timber-doodles". These guys are really displaying up a storm in woods behind the house these days... a sure sign of spring!

The males climb high into the air and then start spiraling downwards while chirping, twittering, and making a whistling sound with their wings (the result of air flowing pass the three extra-stiff primary feathers at the ends of their wings... much like in some ducks or doves). After the long, noisy fall the bird hits the forest floor with a "thud" audible for at least 50 yards through thick woods. I wonder how many have perished when accidentally landing on a rock.

Anyone else who lives near a wooded swamp been hearing and Timber-doodle displays? If not, what other signs of spring have you noticed where you live?

Timber-doodle link : pjdeye.blogspot.com/2011/02/american-woo...-display-flight.html
the highway terror
Platinum Boarder
{({({({({(Health Vibes For Bobby)})})})})}

Re: Woodcock (I'll try and post a pic...)

#1263 3 years, 7 months ago
spring is on its way !!
Can't Live that Negative Way, Make Room for the Positive Day !
amigo del diablo
Junior Boarder

#1283 3 years, 7 months ago
What a strange looking bird! So what's the deal with them hitting the forest floor hard? What are they trying to do when they do that?
Lynx
Visitor

#1286 3 years, 7 months ago
It makes it easier for cats like me to catch and eat them!!!!

Naw... they do it to impress the females. The thinking is that the longer the males falls, the higher he starts from and perhaps the closer to the ground he gets before stopping his display, the braver more physically/mentally fit he is. So I guess the females Woodcocks have it good... they just sit on the forest floor watching all the "twitterpated" (Bambi ref) males dropping from the sky in an attempt to convince them, the females, to lay eggs with them. On behalf of all male humans : Thank you Gia for not giving us wings!!!!
Mully
Junior Boarder

#1295 3 years, 7 months ago
The daffodils are starting to sprout up and bloom, and the Acer Maples(Japanese maples) have tiny leaf buds showing in Northern California.
amigo del diablo
Junior Boarder

#1297 3 years, 7 months ago
The things guys do to impress the ladies. : ) Thanks for the explanation.
Time to create page: 0.18 seconds