• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Mr.Fantasy
Fresh Boarder

DSO

#124909 2 years, 6 months ago
Hey guys first time poster here. DSO is playing a show this weekend about a hour away in Atlanta. Are there shows worth going to see without John now?
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

Re: DSO

#124918 2 years, 6 months ago
I just got back from DSO in Asheville. We had an awesome time! I've seen a lot of deadhead cover bands, but these guys are the shit! It's really about the songs and the energy. I thought the energy was beautiful and amazingly youthful.

The band can pull off space really well. The "Playin" they did was really spacey, and they did a very sweet "slipknot." They did a show from 4-1-78 with a really nice "Morning Dew" that hit a whole lot of peaks. There was a "Let it Grow" somewhere in there that was just rippin. But I just got back and I'm beat.

Yeah, I recommend seeing Dark Star Orchestra.
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder

#124919 2 years, 6 months ago
see previous recent DSO discussion if you want - I'm seeing them April 1

http://www.furthur.net/forum/general-discussion/123927-dso
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by amusingdeva.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#124938 2 years, 6 months ago
welcome to the board mr. fantasy. he is my two cents. i saw many DSO shows when john was a member even got to meet them on occasions. awesome group of folks. i have seen them one time since john joined furthur. i wasn't impressed at all. it was also a free show, outdoors, on some pavement parking lot, really an all around lame scene with folks who could have cared less about whatever band was playing that week. people say they rip it now with jeff. we've all got our own preferences. what i can knowingly say is you'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip it entirely and never find out.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#124944 2 years, 6 months ago
Mr. Fantasy, WELCOME! I saw my first DSO show 2 weeks ago with Jeff ( Jerry Clone ) on guitar and they were really good. While I LOVE JK, the band redid a show from 1973 and I thought they were really good and very tight. The place was packed ( I was impressed ) and people were dancing and having a great time. While they were no Furthur or P&F, they sounded good and the band was very sharp. The Jerry guy w looked super spaced out but played his part spot on and I was more happy with his vocals live than what I had seen on you tube. He looks a lot like a younger Jerry and the guy doing Bob sounded really good as did the "Donna" The bass player has the hardest shoes to "Phil" so to speak but he did a fine job with the material. Its def worth an hours drive so let us know what you think if you go and welcome again.
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#124948 2 years, 6 months ago
Listen and decide for yourself. Click twice to get to the youtube page where there are many more vids.

Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
bxorain
Senior Boarder

#124953 2 years, 6 months ago
I wasn't impressed with these cats. They sounded alright but I was disappointed by the fact that they really try to mimic the mannerisms of the the Dead - especially Rob, I was actually offended by how much he tries to duplicate Bobby's movements. I can understand trying to duplicate the music but trying to duplicate their movements and mannerisms is a bit much.
teafortexas
Expert Boarder
Dancin on a pin

#124959 2 years, 6 months ago
wlewis wrote:
welcome to the board mr. fantasy. he is my two cents. i saw many DSO shows when john was a member even got to meet them on occasions. awesome group of folks. i have seen them one time since john joined furthur. i wasn't impressed at all. it was also a free show, outdoors, on some pavement parking lot, really an all around lame scene with folks who could have cared less about whatever band was playing that week. people say they rip it now with jeff. we've all got our own preferences. what i can knowingly say is you'd be doing yourself a disservice to skip it entirely and never find out.

See them again and consider a decent travel radius as well. They are bringing some serious heat and seem to get better every time I see them – especially the last 8 months or so. If your preference is a very melodic tone from the lead guitar, JM may not be right in your wheelhouse. If you like hard-chargin, psychedelic, high-energy, power-house chords with lots of crescendos, nobody right now does this any better. DSO has been melting my face like they never have before. I love Furthur too don’t get me wrong but I will travel equally to see either of these bands right now.
If DSO is not your gig, that’s cool. BUT if you think they are weak because of what you saw in 2009/2010, you owe to yourself to see them again before you continue to assume they are some throw-away tribute band. If nothing will sway you to see them, you are missing out bigtime.
Everybody is either making love...Or else expecting rain
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#124986 2 years, 6 months ago
Yes indeed, I had a very enjoyable time last night! As rockinbob stated, I also found the vocals to be significantly better than what I've heard from recordings. The female singer absolutely nailed "Sunrise!"

They are a great bunch of musicians who clearly love the songs, and they're obviously sincere in their approach to recreate the spirit of the music. It difficult to deny their ability when the whole room is filled with the deafening roar of the crowd after "Brown-Eyed Women," or when the floor is bouncing while everybody's screaming "Good Love!" at the top of their lungs. Again, it's about the songs, and it's about the energy.

It may not be the real thing, but it's close enough to pretend!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#124998 2 years, 6 months ago
bxorain wrote:
I wasn't impressed with these cats. They sounded alright but I was disappointed by the fact that they really try to mimic the mannerisms of the the Dead - especially Rob, I was actually offended by how much he tries to duplicate Bobby's movements. I can understand trying to duplicate the music but trying to duplicate their movements and mannerisms is a bit much.

Funny, for me it's Jeff who acts and even tries to look a bit like Jerry. Down to the black T's at time (I think JK's worn them too).

I love seeing DSO. I close my eyes and I feel like I'm at a dead show. And there are cool people at the shows - at least in the NY area.

It is not as crazy as a deadshow, but I'll see them every chance I can (unless Furhur or another major band is playing too). Last time I saw them at old westbury NY, there was a real shakedown street - including the stupid balloons all over.

Edit: welcome to the forums, dear Mr. Fantasy. Won't you play us a tune? Something to keep us all happy.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
Last Edit: 2 years, 6 months ago by scar1et_f1re.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
Time to create page: 0.26 seconds