• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
stuck at the station
Junior Boarder

why does the east coast always get extra music?

#124646 2 years, 5 months ago
is it just me or does the east coast get an extra tour per year? Does the east coast really deserve a spring run, summer run, and a late fall run? while us folks who live out on the west coast and have too many personal responsibilities to travel with the band get stuck with one tour in the fall? and only 7 shows in the bay area(the band's home turf so to speak). oh but last year we did get 2 shows at shoreline right before the east coast got a whole other tour. I'm just saying that throwing two extra shows at shoreline plus the NYE run doesn't make up for the fact that the east coast gets at least one entire tour extra. i mean Furthur played a total of 9 shows in california all of last year(i know it is more than anyone else got)and New York is getting what? a 7 night run just in this little spring tour(I'm sure they will get a few more this summer/fall too) and all the festivals that furthur seems to play are on the eastern side of the country too. We need Furthur at a festival somewhere in California, we have better weather than the east coast anyways, nothing like a beautiful day in california in july or august. and i know that Terrapin Crossroads just opened up right here in the bay area, but those tickets are ultra expensive and i just can't afford $150 bucks per ticket as a young person in today's world:pinch:

so bob, phil, john, and everybody else in the band-a festival in california is what has to happen
The following user(s) said Thank You: 23atwell, DancingTurtle
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

Re: why does the east coast always get extra music?

#124648 2 years, 5 months ago
I wish I could make the Terrapin Crossroads shows, or are they just rumored? Heck I'd love to live in CA. if it wasn't for the traffic, and then competition for traffic up North. I loved California first visit in '85 before showing up for the Greek run. I wonder how a California boy or girl wound fair on a seat-of-the-pants East coast tour? I hear people get kind of soft out there. I was so impressed with the mellow vibe of West Coast shows back in the day. Need more of that mellow back East. Need more of that "Heart on Your Shirt Sleeve," out West.

I imagine it was a rhetorical question, however: extra people, extra money, extra energy . . .
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#124650 2 years, 5 months ago
The population is much more dense on the East Coast and the distances between major markets is much closer. The concert business is a business and makes decisions based on profit.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: DancingTurtle
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#124657 2 years, 5 months ago
they sell out multi night runs on the east coast

they can't sell out 3 nights in their hometown on NYE or anywhere on the west coast
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: 83msg1sttyme, Warlock, Dire Wolf, spazman
taper.tsquare
Visitor

#124660 2 years, 5 months ago
if Furthur did a multi-night run at the Warfield or the Fox in Oakland i think the shows would sell out. those venues hold 2,250 and 2,800 respectively. Shoreline is huge; the capacity is 22,500. And the Bill Graham Civic Center is about 7,000.

i think there is a strong liklihood that Furthur does a nice "home town" run at a small venue like the Warfield or the Fox. it won't be an 8-night run like the Beacon, but two consecutive weekend runs for a total of 6 shows is possible.

also, if Furthur does do more west coast shows in June i really hope they play the Greek. Shoreline is too darn big.
jaredlang
Platinum Boarder

Re: why does the east coast always get extra music

#124666 2 years, 5 months ago
Try living in Montreal Canada and see how many times your favorite band (Furthur) makes a stop in your neck of the woods.
If Furthur played 7 shows last year within a 1 or 2 hour drive of my bed, I would be happy as a pig in pooh, and i wouldn't be complaining that my favorite 70 year old rockers are neglecting my region.
If they play 80 shows a year, how many should be in the Bay area?
I think if youre unhappy with the tour schedule now, then you will really be pissed a few years down the road, because I only see it getting thinner.
Standing on the moon with nothing left to do
A lovely view of heaven but I'd rather be with you
Island Head
Platinum Boarder

#124667 2 years, 5 months ago
It doesnt look like we will get anywhere close to 80 Furthur shows this year with all the side projects. Only 13 Furthur shows for the first half of the year unless they do some shows in June.
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#124679 2 years, 5 months ago
because the east coast buys tickets to every show and sell out if im not mistaken phil lives in NYC and bobbys down in florida both east coast
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
captaintony
Platinum Boarder

#124681 2 years, 5 months ago
I thought it was because we're cooler on the east coast.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#124685 2 years, 5 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
The population is much more dense on the East Coast and the distances between major markets is much closer. The concert business is a business and makes decisions based on profit.

I came in to say this. It's way easier to go from Boston to CT to New York to DC to Philly then back to NY than say their last West Coast tour where they played Eugene>Missoula, MT>West Valley City, UT...those gaps alone are between 8-11 or 12 hours between cities as opposed to on the East Coast where normally its only a few hours on the road
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
Time to create page: 0.55 seconds