• You are here
  • Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Big Ralph
Junior Boarder

in this economy,could Phil and Friends fill most

#124614 2 years, 8 months ago
seats in one of those "summer shed,outdoor amp, kind of places? I know they have in the past but would they be a draw today? Basically,are they a theater,civic center draw now?
SunshineSue
Platinum Boarder
Life is sweeter for this!

Re: in this economy,could Phil and Friends fill most

#124625 2 years, 8 months ago
I think they could definitely fill the 5,000 seat amphitheaters, but I'm not sure about the 15-20K ones, like Alpine or Pine Knob. To do the latter, I think they'd need to make sure that the tour was structured for easy traveling between shows. If they did that, or added an ABB or someone with them, I think they could still sell out most of a run at larger spots. I'd sure like to see them try!
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#124628 2 years, 8 months ago
no because everyone wants him to play for free
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

#124629 2 years, 8 months ago
I think those are a tough sell out.

Furthur doesn't even try to do so.

P&F doesn't have the recognition that Furthur does.

Add that to a road tour like last fall, and it would be a disaster, imho.
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
B-Rad
Gold Boarder

#124631 2 years, 8 months ago
He could just charge $500 a tix and he would only need to sell a 1000 or so.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#124680 2 years, 8 months ago
I think how big of a place they could play depends on the $$$ of tickets...Speaking generally, if they had cheaper tickets than Furthur, say like a lawn for $25 and a pit for $45 more people would be inclined to go, especially for the lawn seat...if their ticket prices were too similar to Furthur's I think most people would pass it up now, considering as of now Furthur is an active band and why pay almost the same price for Phil without Bob...Of course, I'm speaking generally and I know there are some folks who would rather pay more to see Phil and Friends as opposed to Furthur the same way there are Ratdog fans who would pay more to see Ratdog than Furthur.

In terms of your average joe fan, $ of ticket would depend on how big a place they could play, if it were cheaper you could assume you're gonna get most of the people that would be there for Furthur and then some who are there because this option is cheaper than Furthur. I personally have told friends I wouldn't mind if Furthur gave way to Ratdog and Phil and Friends, and their reactions are always the same, "What? Do you not like Furthur?"

Quite the opposite, actually. I enjoy seeing dead related shows more than anything I do to have fun. It's my main vice and escape and vacation. The problem is I can only see but so many because of higher ticket prices, more demand which in turn creates scalpers and drives up prices and time I have to acquire my ticket. I always say I wouldn't mind having P&F and Ratdog tour, because not only would tickets be cheaper (at least, I assume and I think it's safe to say that they would be at least a tiny bit cheaper), there would theoretically be twice as many shows to see, therefore giving me twice as many opportunities.

I think Phil and Friends or Ratdog could play the same size places that they have played in the past, but I think the most important things that would allow them to be able to do that are the ticket prices anddddd Furthur being a finished project. I think if people knew and if Furthur was completely retired then those two bands would both be able to pick back where they left off, but if Furthur were still around the average joe (using myself as an example) would spend money on Furthur first then whatever's left indulge in Phil and Dog but if Furthur were gone then most average joes would only have two options instead of two.

Long answer, I know but in summary I think Phil and Friends could play the same size places they have in past if the $$$ is right and if Furthur were retired. Also, I'm not saying I think Furthur is done or a finished project or that I'd like to see them be done. I only say that to people to get them to see the possible benefits.
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer , 23atwell
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#124719 2 years, 8 months ago
^^^^ you might be on to something there,maybe thats why they are doing sperate tours this year to do away with the scalpers,mmmm good point i like it
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder

#124764 2 years, 8 months ago
83msg1sttyme wrote:
^^^^ you might be on to something there,maybe thats why they are doing sperate tours this year to do away with the scalpers,mmmm good point i like it

I don't know whether or not it's a conscious or calculated move on their part, but it is a result. P&F and Ratdog don't attract scalpers, and Furthur does. It's the sad, unfortunate nature of capitalism.
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#124770 2 years, 8 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
83msg1sttyme wrote:

I don't know whether or not it's a conscious or calculated move on their part, but it is a result. P&F and Ratdog don't attract scalpers, and Furthur does. It's the sad, unfortunate nature of capitalism.

They have been scalping these tickets for years, but much less so when the GD played the large venues, especially the arena shows. I do not believe that if Phil and Bobby wanted to tour as furthur scalpers would force their hand.

I think they are all genuinely excited to do their own things for a bit. It feels like Furhur is touring less than the gd used to. I know Jerry used to do a lot of side stuff cause he needed to keep playing. My sense is Bobby and Phil are high on their own stuff, it's different and fresh. And they enjoy playing, so more PnF and Ratdog.

I still think they are forced to do at least some minimal touring as furthur to pay for the infrastructure (GDTS TOO +++).

Hmmmm, would they sell out larger venues, It sure seemed like there were a lot of people at Bethel last summer, MSG wasn't totally full (If I recall correctly) but that holds much more than 5k.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chester, rockinbob, Strider1
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder

#124774 2 years, 8 months ago
Holmdale looked PACKED ( But not totally sold out ) and thats like Shoreline a big place and Oh what a great time that was. I was smiling all the way home on my overnight drive back to Michigan. East Coast sells more tix than west coast from what I have seen.
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds