• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

Re: Someone enlighten me

#124267 2 years, 8 months ago
kamloops rainbow wrote:
Your all nuts and if you think Furthur could even come close to what happened this weekend, if you do, then it just went over your heads. Furthur sounds like canned muzak in comparison to the fresh improvisational approach of the band I saw last weekend. Friday night they took every song apart to the point that there was no sign of what song they were playing. Then a molecule of sound would appear that they would build on until the song reformed. Every song was deconstructed and then reconstructed right in front of us it was the ultimate in what Grateful Dead music was all about. I have been waiting for a very long time to see this again and I have seen Furthur 35 times..........
I would respectfully disagree with your assessment. I'm no stranger to any of it and I'm sure, like you, I've seen all these incarnations and tons of GD shows. I like PL&F just fine and as a bassist myself, I think Phil tears it up, but it just feels like another cover band to me, despite all the great musicians, outside a few moments here and there. For me, Furthur is as good as it gets, in the way that it makes me feel like the real GD experience. Furthur just keeps getting better as well, and definitely is getting way more spacey, based on the NYE shows I just saw. Those were by far the spaciest jams I've seen since Jerry. It was a noticeable difference to me compared to all the east coast shows I've seen. To each his own....can't wait for the Beacon
Denver Man
Platinum Boarder
On the day I was born daddy sat down and cried

#124269 2 years, 8 months ago
wlewis wrote:
go see enough furthur and your opinion will change.

just because he chose those songs doesn't mean they were anything like furthur. in fact, many sounded different and i loved it. i've gotten so bored with furthur at times. this band provides the journey, the twists and turns, that us improv freaks love. after seeing 5 versions of any tune furthur plays, you've seen em all.

and hot damn, i can't have been the only one who didn't miss weir one bit this weekend.

I can't believe I am saying this and it feels like the ultimate blashpemy ... but I did not miss Weir this weekend either. Oh please don't take it the wrong way, I love you Bobby, I love you with Furthur I love Ratdog I love your solo stuff. But I think he holds everyone back too much and tries to control everything too much. With P&F, there is no holding back. This weekend was the greatest journey into the unknown that I very well may have ever been on. However, I also agree with you Burt that if this line up toured all the time it would get stale. I'm telling you, that's why it is great news when they change things up. I know everyone is on edge wondering how much more there is for Furthur, but to me the variety keeps it all so alive. Bring on more P&F, bring on Ratdog, bring on 7 Walkers, bring on Mickey Hart Band, bring on Rhythm Devils!! And yes bring on Furthur. Bring it all on!!
I went walkin' out last summer
Tryin' to find a breath of air
I went walkin' on the mountain
A friend had told me I'd find you there
The following user(s) said Thank You: wlewis, amusingdeva
FurthurFlower67
Platinum Boarder
Good Love!

#124279 2 years, 8 months ago
Denver Man wrote:
but I did not miss Weir this weekend either. Oh please don't take it the wrong way, I love you Bobby, I love you with Furthur I love Ratdog I love your solo stuff. But I think he holds everyone back too much and tries to control everything too much. With P&F, there is no holding back. This weekend was the greatest journey into the unknown that I very well may have ever been on.[/b] However, I also agree with you Burt that if this line up toured all the time it would get stale. I'm telling you, that's why it is great news when they change things up. I know everyone is on edge wondering how much more there is for Furthur, but to me the variety keeps it all so alive. Bring on more P&F, bring on Ratdog, bring on 7 Walkers, bring on Mickey Hart Band, bring on Rhythm Devils!! And yes bring on Furthur. Bring it all on!!

I totally agree with the above statement!!! Bobby is wonderful but I think I needed just a little break from him.

As far as Phil and Friends it should have been 6 shows in Broomfield. I feel there is a lot of unfinished buisness they need to take care of.

And as far as the song choices for the weekend. I may have liked to see a few other choices, but they all had different sound than Furthur that I could really apperciate!
Dreams are lies...it's the dreaming that's real!!!!
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#124282 2 years, 8 months ago
I'll readily admit that I lack objectivity when it comes to these guys. To my ears, they can do no wrong. Bobby's tone can get annoyingly clangy, and his use of the slide is oftentimes more scraping than anything. And still I smile & giggle & boogie. I approach all of the Dead's projects with no expectations because, frankly, they don't owe me shit. More accurately, the only expectation I hold is to be treated to wonderful music & wonderful energy, and have never been let down.

Stale? Yeah, no, I don't agree. I haven't seen a shit-ton of shows (yet), but I've listened to virtually all of them several times, and I hear growth & steady exploration & nothing approaching stagnation.

I've noticed a distinct difference in energy in recent tours, since JK & Phil swapped sides on the stage. Now we got all the young bucks clustered together, and it seems that transitions are tighter, solos are more smoothly executed, and lots of other little nuances that seem to indicate some deeper communication. It is still the season of what now.

Having Phil & Bobby together playing songs even they thought they'd never, ever play again is, for me, a constant blessing!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by bokb. Reason: Punctuation o.c.d.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
R U Kind?

#124288 2 years, 8 months ago
Gary Lambert from Tales from the golden road also commented this weekend that he would have hoped PnF had played more of John Scofield's stuff rather than having JS play all dead.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#124535 2 years, 8 months ago
"and hot damn, i can't have been the only one who didn't miss weir one bit this weekend. " Classic ,just classic thanks for that
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
23atwell
Platinum Boarder
I love what I love and I want it that way

#124542 2 years, 8 months ago
I can't wait to see furthur again. Phil friends puts a different spin on things. They venture out more than furthur does, like Lewis said. Which I don't understand why furthur doesn't. It goes to show that alotbof people see that. Reason I now that cause a lot of people say that JK is on a lesh. I feel he s and I think it holds furthur back from going way out there like p and f does. I'm not trying to get to picky anymore cause it's getting late in these great musicians age and I will take what I ever I get. I live it all!
And I'm going to sit right here until I die
Time to create page: 0.23 seconds