• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

Re: Someone enlighten me

#124192 2 years, 8 months ago
AMEN. Phil's sound was clean, though I could have had him louder in the mix. Funny how so many of my favorite shows were allot about Phil being heavy in the mix . . . listening to the Cold Rain from Sat night right now loving Phil! Still could be heavier . . . loving Phil singing and thumping. His voice sounds good for Cold Rain and Snow. They crush CR&S! And speaking of enlightenment I heard Phil sing something other than"I married me my wife. She's been trouble all my life . . ." second half was different on the re-listen, must ask, anyone?
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Iriecycle. Reason: need for enlightenment
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#124195 2 years, 8 months ago
I don't know how, but I agree with everyone here.

Feel there could have been more variety; they are just a one off band without much rehearsal; loved what I heard; it was different then Furthur.

Here's one new thought. Jeff C. wasn't even part of this team until a few weeks ago. Or at least that is when he was announced. I can't imagine those shows or this band without him.

Another though,but not meant to be a criticism @ Lewis...one band having five versions of one tune is not a bad ratio. That's sentiment is a function of you seeing too many shows, not creativity. To paraphrase: I guess too much of anything can be enough. : )
The following user(s) said Thank You: amusingdeva
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#124203 2 years, 8 months ago
TS--that's only part of it, and at one point i realized it. furthur is not as wild and spontaneous as some may think. there is quite a bit of structure in their approach. not as much variation as a phil and friends would provide.

this phil and friends lineup was about as unpredictable as it gets.

i love furthur and can't wait to see them in april but it's not going to be wildly unpredictable concerning their previously played material (assuming they've got some tricks up their sleeve)

and of course if this particular phil lineup went on the road for a long time it'd get mundane.

i would love to have phil and bob playing around with as many groups as possible still using furthur as a home base
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#124204 2 years, 8 months ago
also terrapin, i can't agree with you more about chimenti. would have been a totally different ball game sans jeff.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#124206 2 years, 8 months ago
With you on the predictable factor WL.....which I view as control. And with no evidence, I think that is mostly a Bob W. thing, although we've all seen/heard Phil put the brakes on a jam.

It's their band, so I guess that's okay and who am I to ...........

But I recall an article, I think early 2010, about the predetermined set lists and whether the band would ever just follow the flow and play unplanned sets. If memory serves, he said that will come in time.

Well it's time already. Or at least to take the hounds off the chain.
Last Edit: 2 years, 8 months ago by Terrapin Sedation.
stealmyface
Junior Boarder

#124220 2 years, 8 months ago
This was my 1st PnF experience and l was blown away. The music seemed more intense and dramatic than Furthur. More adept at the improv/ jam thing. Definitly missed Bobby, although Warren and Jackie are great showmen. Furthur seems more celebratory and accurate in sound when compared to the GD. I agree Furthur can get a little predictable, especially the 2nd set, and I would prefer a less similar setlist from Phil but oh well. I can't say one is better than the other- l love them both!

I thought I heard the full intro to Broken Arrow before they went back into Dark Star. Anyone hear this?
kamloops rainbow
Junior Boarder

#124226 2 years, 8 months ago
Your all nuts and if you think Furthur could even come close to what happened this weekend, if you do, then it just went over your heads. Furthur sounds like canned muzak in comparison to the fresh improvisational approach of the band I saw last weekend. Friday night they took every song apart to the point that there was no sign of what song they were playing. Then a molecule of sound would appear that they would build on until the song reformed. Every song was deconstructed and then reconstructed right in front of us it was the ultimate in what Grateful Dead music was all about. I have been waiting for a very long time to see this again and I have seen Furthur 35 times..........
Equinox
Platinum Boarder

#124244 2 years, 8 months ago
Personally, I never worry about what's in the setlists. Like everyone I have my favorites, of course, but most of the tunes are just jumping off points for the jams. That's the way it's always been. As for Phil & Friends being predictable, well, they're just starting up again. When Phil was on the road a lot, I saw several shows where they played a verse here, a different chorus there, maybe a bridge from a third song and everything else was just complete improvisation. I have no doubt Phil can conjure that again.

I also have no doubt based on the last two Furthur shows I've seen (MSG and AC) that that band is just beginning to peak and could esily pull off the same thing, if so inspired.
"Got any nails?"
"No!"
"Got any flies?"
The following user(s) said Thank You: PMoondancer
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

#124265 2 years, 8 months ago
edheadwharfrat wrote:
It's like jazz bands playing standard jazz tunes. Every different combo of musicians will interpret the material in their own way. In our little Grateful Dead world, we also have standard tunes. They are Grateful Dead songs and covers that the GD made into their own. GD music has become its own genre in a way, just like jazz or blues. Bands that play in this genre play those standard tunes, whether it is a band containing original GD members, a national touring GD cover band like DSO, or your local GD cover bar-band. Keep in mind that Phil and Friends has existed as a concept with various members at different times for much longer than Furthur has been around. So has Ratdog. It would be more accurate to say that Furthur plays Phil and Friends songs than the other way around. It would be most accurate to say that all of these bands play Grateful Dead music. That's what they do. I hope that makes sense.
Well said sir
Dire Wolf
Platinum Boarder
when the police knocked y'all...

#124266 2 years, 8 months ago
I find this helps

Dukkha suggests a basic unsatisfactoriness pervading all forms of life, due to the fact that all forms of life are impermanent and constantly changing. Dukkha indicates a lack of satisfaction, a sense that things never measure up to our expectations or standards.

1 The truth of dukkha (suffering, anxiety, stress)
2 The truth of the origin of dukkha (craving and ignorance)
3 The truth of the cessation of dukkha (the cessation of all the unsatisfactory experiences and their causes in such a way that they can no longer occur again.)
4 The truth of the path leading to the cessation of dukkha (The truth of cessation is a personal discovery. It is not mystical and does not have any connotations of religion or psychology. It is simply your experience... It is like experiencing instantaneous good health: you have no cold, no flu, no aches, and no pains in your body. You feel perfectly well, absolutely refreshed and wakeful! Such an experience is possible.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: bokb, jk420
Time to create page: 0.61 seconds