• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

Someone enlighten me

#124094 2 years, 5 months ago
I'll preface this by saying that it's going to sound a bit bitchy BUT....

With such an amazing group of musicians and the fact that Furthur is so hot right now, why does PL&F go out just do a bunch of Dead tunes?? I've been seeing vids all day on FB....Bertha, He's Gone, Golden road, etc......

My point, and I fucking love Phil as a bassist, is that it just seems redundant to be playing all the same songs Furthur is doing. He's got an assembly of some killer musicians...I mean John Scofield is an AMAZING jazz musician, and he's up there doing GD/Furthur tunes?? Shit, it'd be much cooler to see Phil jam out on some of Scofield's jazz tunes! Really

I've seen PL&F and its a good time for sure, but now with Furthur being soooo good, I don't see the point of Phil doing all these GD standards and trotting out all these great musicians. C'mon Phil....some tunes a little more outside the Furthur set list shouldn't be too hard to come up with, given the selection of talent you got there.

He's earned the right to do whatever he wants, but this long time fan ain't buying it while Furthur has so much momentum.

Bitchfest over...
The following user(s) said Thank You: brokenarrow
will work for doses
Senior Boarder
I am Lobar speaking to you from the future

Re: Someone enlighten me

#124098 2 years, 5 months ago
I was thinking the same thing. However one thing I noticed is Scoffield adds some new sounds to these songs which is refreshing.

It seems kind of odd they did the three shows and to best of my knowledge there aren't any more scheduled.
Am very glad for those who went and enjoyed themselves. There have been some good testimonials.

I think what might answer your question here is 1/2 the group are so well rehearsed with these songs. Warren and Jackie are well versed in them, so from that stanpoint.......
The following user(s) said Thank You: jk420
jk420
Junior Boarder
At least I'm enjoyin' the ride

#124100 2 years, 5 months ago
Yeah, I didn't want to rag on it too much.. I obviously "get it" when it comes to hanging with the Furthur family and all that...I'm down with all that. But as a musician, I would've dug the performance aspect of seeing these players, but holy shit, the ENTIRE set is Furthur!

Sorry Phil, just a bit over-indulgent and rather lazy set list picks for my taste. It's a Furthur set list. Just one man's opinion...but I think a completely obscure set list of non-GD/Furthur tunes and then throw in a few for good measure and for the crowd, would be much more appealing.

Thats why these side projects are largely a waste of time, musically speaking. I'll wait for the Furthur tour.
edheadwharfrat
Expert Boarder

#124114 2 years, 5 months ago
It's like jazz bands playing standard jazz tunes. Every different combo of musicians will interpret the material in their own way. In our little Grateful Dead world, we also have standard tunes. They are Grateful Dead songs and covers that the GD made into their own. GD music has become its own genre in a way, just like jazz or blues. Bands that play in this genre play those standard tunes, whether it is a band containing original GD members, a national touring GD cover band like DSO, or your local GD cover bar-band. Keep in mind that Phil and Friends has existed as a concept with various members at different times for much longer than Furthur has been around. So has Ratdog. It would be more accurate to say that Furthur plays Phil and Friends songs than the other way around. It would be most accurate to say that all of these bands play Grateful Dead music. That's what they do. I hope that makes sense.
Without love day to day insanity's king
The following user(s) said Thank You: splatter_face, Tmglf2, bokb, kevin, jk420
Jimbojenkins
Junior Boarder

#124119 2 years, 5 months ago
Layla, Ball & Chain, She said She said, Low Spark, Gypsy Woman, I am the Walrus, Magic Bus, Rollin and Tumblin'???
Lady finger dipped in moonlight
Writing `what for?' across the morning sky
Sunlight splatters dawn with answers
Darkness shrugs and bids the day goodbye
83msg1sttyme
Platinum Boarder

#124168 2 years, 5 months ago
besides the abovementioned songs half to 2/3 of thecrowd want to hear dead songs if they didnt play themway more people would be complaining im sure ,deadheads are never happy
If i told ya all that went down,it would burn off both your ears
Iriecycle
Expert Boarder
AND LEAVE IT ON!!!!

#124177 2 years, 5 months ago
Have to agree w/ the lead of the thread and liked what Jimbojenkins picked as their covers. We got pretty straight ahead Dead, other than Jackie's excellent guitar work on Layla, I just recalled how Sat. night I thought his rendition of Clapton was impressive, spotlighted his skills. I could have heard a far broader palette of styles from Reggae through Funk and of course Jazz. That said, John Scofield playing circles around Warren, who's holding it down so tight, Phil's astral projecting Bass leads to the next cosmos. Oh, and they're playing some of my favorite tunes; I hear ya bro, and Sat. night rocked solidly with all those good ol' Dead tunes. If you don't dig this particular ensemble ripping up Dead tunes perhaps enlightening you of the benefits there-of would be moot? If you're suggesting they play more like 1/2 and 1/2 I fully agree that could be more entertaining. Though I sure would have liked to have heard Warren's Morning Dew. Your point of the redundancy of this ensemble playing Dead tunes while Furthur is so burning it up is heard, though Phil seems perhaps freer with this ensemble than Furthur. I don't know if I've heard Phil play so many notes, though not as many bombs. What's up with that Phil; where were those core shaking notes prompting reverberating hearts. Never heard a Help>Slip>Frank w/o thumping Phil bombs, missed Fri. night though. They really sounded good by Saturday night, if Bobby was there they might have sung it.
I Am You, As You Are Me, As We Are One, and We Are All Together.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jk420
fourwnds
Senior Boarder

#124178 2 years, 5 months ago
When I saw that John Scofield was playing I thought Phil was going to be heading off the reservation so to speak inside the "GD standards", props to whoever phrased it that way. I haven't listened to anything yet except for the emvibe stream which on my end was hard to discern who was who playing guitar. I am excited to listen to these shows as I noticed they are all on the archive.
wlewis
Platinum Boarder

#124188 2 years, 5 months ago
go see enough furthur and your opinion will change.

just because he chose those songs doesn't mean they were anything like furthur. in fact, many sounded different and i loved it. i've gotten so bored with furthur at times. this band provides the journey, the twists and turns, that us improv freaks love. after seeing 5 versions of any tune furthur plays, you've seen em all.

and hot damn, i can't have been the only one who didn't miss weir one bit this weekend.
who else is gonna bring you, a broken arrow?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Denver Man, amusingdeva
bokb
Senior Boarder
Be, okay? Be.

#124191 2 years, 5 months ago
Phil's gonna be 72 years old in a few weeks. He had a liver transplant 14 years ago (the average borrowed liver lasts, like, 5-7 years).

He has indeed "earned the right to do whatever he wants."

I for one will lovingly accept every note he chooses to share!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kevin, lightchaser, Iriecycle
Time to create page: 0.66 seconds