• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder
Posts:261

DSO

#123927 2 years, 7 months ago
Just bought tickets to Jam in the Dam in Amsterdam. This will be my first time seeing DSO. What is your opinion of them?
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2676
Let your life proceed by its own design

Re: DSO

#123937 2 years, 7 months ago
You will love them. Great band who seem to really care about each other and their mission of recreating the sound of the Grateful Dead. You cannot get any closer to the real thing.

I'm stunned that you would be traveling to Amsterdam without having seen them. But I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

They recently announced Jam in the Sand. March 1-5 2013 in Jamaica at an exclusive resort with Keller Williams. Costs about $2,000 meals, four nights room, booze, but not travel included.
njt1rider
Junior Boarder
Posts:261

Re: DSO

#123940 2 years, 7 months ago
I live about 5-6 hours away from Amsterdam so its not that far of a trip. Living in the middle of Europe is quite nice because almost everything is less than 8 hours away and for me, 8 hours is almost nothing. The show is not just DSO though, Moe., Mike Gordon, Lotus, and Keller Williams are all also sharing the bill. They will be playing the famous Melk Weg. All in all between gas, ticket, and 3 night hostel stay, I shouldn't be breaking much more than 300$. Check this out: www.jaminthedam.com/
What is everyone's thoughts on DSO with JK versus the current DSO lineup?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Terrapin Sedation
bokb
Senior Boarder
Posts:347
Be, okay? Be.

Re: DSO

#123944 2 years, 7 months ago
Well now, I just got tix for DSO this Wednesday night in my town of Asheville! My Furthur tour mojo needs to be unleashed somehow with no do-able Springtime dates for me, y'dig....

Only saw them one time, back in '99 or '00, also here in Asheville at Be Here Now, a tiny fucking venue packed shoulder-to-shoulder w/ shit-tons of tall people in front of me, so I got no good sightline all night. Don't remember what show they re-created, but it was '70's w/ the female singer. They really tore it up, though. I guess JK was part of the band then, and man, his vocals were really eerily Jerryish. And they played a "Playin'" in there, complete w/ the Donna-wailing that actually got everyone cheering. I'd seen quite a few deadhead cover bands by then, but these guys were a real different breed; I've never seen anybody else able to get TRUE spaciness like they did! Just wonderful! Most impressive tho, was the crowd vibe; really felt that "old school" vibe that I'd been missing since '95. 'Course that may say more about Asheville than the band, dunno. I'm not sure why I never really "followed" them, y'know. I do know that virtually every show they've played in my area was thoroughly impractical for me to attend (couldn't get time off, no cash, maybe other shows, who knows)...

But I'm looking forward to checking 'em out again. Rob Barraco on keys, and Jeff Matteson (I think) filling the JK slot. Both from Zen Tricksters, and Matteson (I think) has been playing w/ Donna Jean off & on for some time now. Good pedigree! From the recent recordings I've heard, they really seem to have that magic, tho I suspect the big thing (for me) is having to, um, be okay with the vocals; not particularly stellar from what I've heard so far. No matter, the songs remain the same. I guess if you'll be seeing them in Amsterdam, you can only have a good time!!! Truly, have fun!
If unable to dance, I'll crawl.
doin_that_rag
Gold Boarder
Posts:943

Re: DSO

#124003 2 years, 7 months ago
njt1rider wrote:
I live about 5-6 hours away from Amsterdam so its not that far of a trip. Living in the middle of Europe is quite nice because almost everything is less than 8 hours away and for me, 8 hours is almost nothing. The show is not just DSO though, Moe., Mike Gordon, Lotus, and Keller Williams are all also sharing the bill. They will be playing the famous Melk Weg. All in all between gas, ticket, and 3 night hostel stay, I shouldn't be breaking much more than 300$. Check this out: www.jaminthedam.com/
What is everyone's thoughts on DSO with JK versus the current DSO lineup?


Only saw them once with JK and maybe now 13 or 14 times with Mattson...they kick ass now, not to take anything away from John, who is fantastic and I like him better than anyone else for Furthur, but DSO has unreal chemistry now and they are extremely high energy...Mattson kills the 60's stuff...saw a Viola encore in December my mind was blown
People joining hand in hand while the music plays the band
The following user(s) said Thank You: scar1et_f1re
amusingdeva
Platinum Boarder
Posts:2251

Re: DSO

#124007 2 years, 7 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
Only saw them once with JK and maybe now 13 or 14 times with Mattson...they kick ass now, not to take anything away from John, who is fantastic and I like him better than anyone else for Furthur, but DSO has unreal chemistry now and they are extremely high energy...Mattson kills the 60's stuff...saw a Viola encore in December my mind was blown


That is good to hear as I've only seen DSO with JK (many times). I'll be checking them out when they come to Oregon April 1st and I was hoping for some funtastic jamming.
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: DSO

#124039 2 years, 7 months ago
I grew up listening to jeff m - the Jerry guy playing with DSO. He does an excellent job on lead guitar. IMO jk improvises a bit more. Jeff is exactly like Jerry when he's onstage - including mannerisms. It freaked me out a bit the last time I saw him about a yr ago he put on a lot of weight just like Jerry. DSO has been playing an entire dead show from the past - more copying less "improvising" if you happen to know the particular show.

They are great. And because they play smaller venues sound can be crystal clear

Moe also has a very loyal following. I saw them once at Nassau colliseum. They were really good and danceable. Also balloons floating around while they play. That was about 10 yes ago!

And hanging out in amsterdam with other fans should be a panic.

You'll have a blast!!
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: rockinbob
scar1et_f1re
Platinum Boarder
Posts:4900
R U Kind?

Re: DSO

#124040 2 years, 7 months ago
doin_that_rag wrote:
njt1rider wrote:
I live about 5-6 hours away from Amsterdam so its not that far of a trip. Living in the middle of Europe is quite nice because almost everything is less than 8 hours away and for me, 8 hours is almost nothing. The show is not just DSO though, Moe., Mike Gordon, Lotus, and Keller Williams are all also sharing the bill. They will be playing the famous Melk Weg. All in all between gas, ticket, and 3 night hostel stay, I shouldn't be breaking much more than 300$. Check this out: www.jaminthedam.com/
What is everyone's thoughts on DSO with JK versus the current DSO lineup?


Only saw them once with JK and maybe now 13 or 14 times with Mattson...they kick ass now, not to take anything away from John, who is fantastic and I like him better than anyone else for Furthur, but DSO has unreal chemistry now and they are extremely high energy...Mattson kills the 60's stuff...saw a Viola encore in December my mind was blown


Howdy bro - long time no "see". I hope schools doing well.

Did you ever see Donna jean with jeff or DSO? I saw her once about 4 yes ago and I thought her voice was great. Micky and hot tuna also played that night so they mixed it up on stage which was great.
FFF! Family is Forever!!!

May God bless and keep you always
May your wishes all come true
May you always do for others
And let others do for you
The following user(s) said Thank You: doin_that_rag
deadhed4life34
Junior Boarder
Posts:140

Re: DSO

#124042 2 years, 7 months ago
you will love Dso. they kick ass every time I've seen them. probably around 50-60 times.

the current line up is really good. jeff mattson is different from john and thats one thing i really like.

enjoy brother

peace
rockinbob
Platinum Boarder
Posts:1467

Re: DSO

#124043 2 years, 7 months ago
Ok, Saw my first DSO 2 weeks ago and went with an open mind and was excited to get a live Dead fix waiting for spring with P&F not being an option for me. I was really happy by what I got to hear. They did a show from 73 in Utica NY and Jeff was SPOT ON Jerry! He looks a lot like Jerry on stage except a lot more spaced out! It was a LONG show and both sets were killer and the inter-dynamics were really good between players. The hardest job next to Jeff's I think is the bass player replicating Phil's unique style. He did a wonderful job and Rob the keyboard player was really good singing Box Of Rain. What I would give to have actually been at the original 73 show in New York! I would def go see them again, and I also found out a cool local Dead Cover band here in Detroit that is doing a Jerry Garcia Tribute in 2 weeks that I am going to try to make. Good Times for sure. As far as Amsterdam goes AWESOME! Went there in 2007 for the 20 year celebration of the Cannabis Cup and the city has such a kind vibe and I felt it to be a very safe urban metropolis, so DSO & A-Town together, GOOD FOR YOU FRIEND! Enjoy that one!
Aint No Time To Hate, Barely Time To Wait.........
Time to create page: 0.27 seconds