• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Spinners

#12689 3 years ago
I never said the Hindu cult was in Mexico. I compared how a similar religion could pop up seperately on different continents. the mushroom cult of the Mayans was Tenoancatl (www.mushroom-stones.com/artifacts.html and mayavasepro.webs.com/). Obviously the Hindu mushroom cult was Indian... as in India.

And yes the mushroom you cite is the substance called soma. The Wassons identified it as such and it has been accepted as such. I have the articles at home, both their article and other articles that accept their argument. But I found it on the web:
www.erowid.org/entheogens/entheogens_article2.shtml

If you know what the substance of soma is, one that metabolizes in the urine and is factually found in Indian up in the mountains, let me know. McKenna's food of the gods takes Wasson one step farther and argues that the mushroom was the basis of the so-called "apple" in the mythical garden of eden that adam and eve eat and "awaken" if you will. I believe one could trace the Arayans who swooped down from the north (ie Siberia)into India. The Siberians (the Wassons' focus was on Siberian mushrooms) had a mushroom cult as well, and arguments have been made that Santa Claus and the reindeer had their origins in this mushroom.

And as to the idea that the Greeks are boring, or that they are not very important in western society, is unfortunate. The mediterranean was light years ahead of the rest of the world, and the archetypes they propounded are also found throughout the world, so to waive them off, at least to me, is tragedy (you know, that concept the GREEKS came up with). How these archetyps appear and how they interpret them and how they let them influence their culture, religions, governments, is quite interesting. While the rest of the world were huinting rats in the forest, the greeks were pressing olive oil, domesticating animals and had advanced agriculture, like wine production. But most importantly- they had advanced written language that has survived. as the Europeans conquered new lands, they burned anything they came across that was in writing, so much of what we talk about in early societies is open to interpretation.

But not only that, the Greeks were the foundation of which western enlightenment is based, Plutarch wrote we shouldn't waste time with contemporary writers, we should stick to the classics (greek) as a basis of our education and what to strive for as a culture. The U.S. founding fathers believed being fluent in greek was paramount (latin too). So I don't quite understand why anyone would think the Greeks were borish, especially when they produced Socrates, Plato and Aristotle.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#12692 3 years ago
I forgot- religion suddenly showed up around 40,000 bc. We were ingesting intoxicants long before we were even talking.
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#12699 3 years ago
Hey LS, I don't want to get into an academic debate about these things. I'm happy to agree to disagree. Obviously the Greeks are hugely important to the foundation of Western Civilization. My point is that Western Civilization is not the end-all even though it is often treated as such, especially in our country.
Time to create page: 0.74 seconds