• Forum Header
  • Topics not covered in other forums.
Ossumpei
Platinum Boarder

Spinners

#12228 3 years, 6 months ago
So what is the deal with the spinners? It must be fun because I've seen a lot of people do it over the years. I tried it a couple of times, but it wasn't much fun.

Is it a female only thing? Do I need a long skirt to twirl to make it flow?
spinners.jpg

I am obviously missing something.

What's the deal??
Let us all look kindly on our neighbor.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

Re: Spinners

#12245 3 years, 6 months ago
I've been spinning since 1989 . and a guy

It depends on what you are into. But for me it's very meditative, you can start to see the music in a phyisical since and sometimes you get so into it that you can almost feel like you can affect the music.

I've posted about spinning before- a scholar named Eliade Mirceade argued that, ulike today's judeo-christian god(s)- the gods back then had to do something to create. It wasn't simply "willing it". So what did they do to create? Dance and beat a drum. Eliade argued very clearly that when humans dance in a sacred settting, they were recreating the act of god's creatoin. It is an almost universal, archetypal pattern we see across the planet. A clear example can be seen in the sacred drum rites of Japan (those big drums and the funky dance they do). Also, the dances of indonesia have a dane I believe that is part of the act of creation.

So I often think during the moment that I can feel a new layer of consciousness. Throw in some acid... it's great stuff
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by lostsailor.
derek92
Junior Boarder

#12248 3 years, 6 months ago
i wouldn't say i spin, i am obviously missing something as well, but at times the music jumps into me and im off! Can't control it dancing somehow turning occasionally maybe i do get it?? not sure
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#12253 3 years, 6 months ago
derek92 wrote:
i wouldn't say i spin, i am obviously missing something as well, but at times the music jumps into me and im off! Can't control it dancing somehow turning occasionally maybe i do get it?? not sure

Go home and give it a try. Just spin to the music.

The problem is, once you do it for about 10 minutes, you will be stuck in going into the spin as part of your moves. And the only place to do that is out in back or in the hall way, where there's enough space.

Dark, the guy with the great website about playing dead music, has a youtube clip about spinners: most popular music is in 4/4. 4/4 is easy to dance to, it's simple straightforward and a predictable beat. But dead songs like the eleven, playing, the raggae tunes, parts of (or all of) sugar mags, a lot of the jams the dead have, they are in odd time signature. Difficult to dance using typical pop fluff. So since the dead were a dancing band, the deadheads came up with their own grooves for the odd time signatures and that evovledi nto spinning, I think
Chester
More or less in line

#12259 3 years, 6 months ago
Spinning seems to be a way to seperate yourself, or "lose yourself", in a ritualistic way. Spinning is the first attempt at an altered
reality that most of us experience. Those playground rides, designed to spin you around quickly, causing you to lose your balance.
Or rolling downhill in an attempt to disorient ourselves. Psychologists see this as proof that the intelligent mind naturaly seeks an
altered state. It's born out of a sense of curiousity. And allows us to connect more completely with the music.
I can't come down, it's plain to see.
I can't come down, I've been set free.
Who you are, and what you do,
don't make no difference to me.
spinneresque108
Junior Boarder

#12263 3 years, 6 months ago
"To make music for dancers like these is the rarest honor -- to be co-responsible for what really is the dance of the cosmos. If, as some savants of consciousness suggest, we are actually agreeing to create, from moment to moment, everything we perceive as real, then it stands to reason that we're also responsible for keeping it going in some harmonious manner. The fervent belief we shared then, and that perseveres today, is that the energy liberated by this combination of music and ecstatic dancing is somehow making the world better, or at least holding the line against the depradations of entropy and ignorance." --Searching for the Sound - Phil Lesh

"We make dance music, for dancers, at dances." --Jerry Garcia, 1967
Last Edit: 3 years, 6 months ago by spinneresque108.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala, PMoondancer
PMoondancer
Platinum Boarder

#12274 3 years, 6 months ago
You could start by studying the Sufis. Its a good start to understanding the mystic dervishes, a good start...certainly not the whole history or the whole Now.

We can talk more later, if you want to draw on my expertise.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala
Smiley from Texas
Senior Boarder

#12282 3 years, 6 months ago
Im a Guy and am a Pround Spinner at every show. In chicago this last november tour at the uic Pavillion is when i first started and ive been doin it ever since. Its really cool because ever since i started doing it. I always see the same people at all the shows when im spinning in the halls. Lots of room and the heads usually always move to the back of the arena and shake down.
lostsailor
Senior Boarder

#12295 3 years, 6 months ago
PMoondancer wrote:
You could start by studying the Sufis. Its a good start to understanding the mystic dervishes, a good start...certainly not the whole history or the whole Now.

We can talk more later, if you want to draw on my expertise.

I think what seperates us from them though is apollonian versus dionysian (borrowing from Neitzche's birth of tragedy). The Dervs primary focus is apollonian (god of reason). Everything they do has a very specific purpose and a very specific goal. It is very orchestrated, like classical music. We deadheads take the dionysian- dionysos was the god of the harvest, and wine. We loose ourselves in an orgiastic intoxicated ritual (one that has existed for 1,000s of years) and through it, communicate with god, however or whatever that means to the individual. It is chaotic in it's very nature but that chaos has it's own beauty. Likewise, the dervs' dance has it's own beauty in the apollonian.

While the dervs would be appalled at the Grateful Dead experience, I like to think it's just two different roads leadings... yup you guessed it... to Terrapin
The following user(s) said Thank You: mandala
Terrapin Sedation
Platinum Boarder
Let your life proceed by its own design

#12327 3 years, 6 months ago
I'm an avowed chicken dancer, with the patented head bob. I drink too much beer to be a spinner without risking some serious repercussions.
Time to create page: 0.97 seconds